ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Gangster Rap" Insurance  (Read 20293 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: "Gangster Rap" Insurance
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »

If there are other social issues at stake that make certain concerts uninsurable, so be it, but blaming it on the musical genre is just dumb.
I haven't heard anyone blaming it on the actual music, but rather the likely customer base of a particular product.

I think many people confuse racism with culturalism.  While I have a number of friends that are of a different race than mine, I have zero gangster friends - whether black or white.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »

If there are other social issues at stake that make certain concerts uninsurable, so be it, but blaming it on the musical genre is just dumb.

What Tim said.. but it seems a basic fact to me (and I am no social scientist) that specific genres of "music" attract audiences of specific Social backgrounds - and if those social types have specific social behaviors, then those issues come in though the gate, and some have behaviorial risk and liability. Forget rap, what about mosh pits for example?

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »

I think many people confuse racism with culturalism.  While I have a number of friends that are of a different race than mine, I have zero gangster friends - whether black or white.

Boom! Nail on the head!

BTW, as to mosh pits... I've never seen or heard of them being nearly as dangerous or scary as a "gangsta rap" show.  Just my experience.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »

Insurance is such a trailing indicator. By the time they latched on to the Rave/Ecstasy trend the fad was over.

"Gangsta Rap" is like asking if there will be any "greasers" at a show.

General Liability is general! Our work involves the full spectrum of the public : Events take place from nursing homes and elementary schools to restaurants and bars and churches.

Event liability is something else entirely.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »

"gangsta rap" show.

Could someone tell me exactly what a gangsta rap show is?

How does one define what a gangsta rap show is?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »

Boom! Nail on the head!

BTW, as to mosh pits... I've never seen or heard of them being nearly as dangerous or scary as a "gangsta rap" show.  Just my experience.
Depends on what you call "dangerous".

As in shootings or as in damage to gear?

Have you ever seen a mosh pit get out of control and the slams into the FOH position-knocking down the table and consoles go sliding across the floor?  Or slamming into PA stacks and speakers falling down?

What about the kids that go stage diving and in the process put their foot through a wedge-or knock over mic stands and mics fall into monitors and the feedback fries the HF driver.

Yes it goes on and on and on.

Or what about "normal country shows".  Yeah the drunk guy who comes to FOH and spill his beer onto the console.

or a nice rodeo-where the bull kick up real bull shit onto the monitor console and amp racks?

Or the arts festival where the wacked out/doped up singer starts swinging his fists at you when he is told to leave the stage?  Yes the PA had been turned off and they continued to "perform" and wouldn't leave.

Don't say it never happens-as it has happened a good number of times to me.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »

Could someone tell me exactly what a gangsta rap show is?

How does one define what a gangsta rap show is?

It's not so prevalent these days but in the 90s there was a flood of rappers who had more to do with criminality than music.  Many were true street thugs/gangsters  (Crips, Bloods, etc), thus they were referred to as "gangsta" rappers.  The more threatening and scary they were, the more they sold.  When they put on a show... well, you get the idea.  The real scary stuff occurred when a promoter would have a multiple "artist" show and the posses would start one-upping one another to prove who had more street cred or who had done more prison time.  Time to get the hell out of Dodge.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »

The most memorable shows I was ever at always had an air of impending riot (Clash @ Bond NYC, for example).

Rap promoters/managers know this. The random " Security!!" shout out over the PA encourages this. It is part of the theater, and timid production people, house managers, local PD, etc., buy in.

The body count for all rap shows is way below that of all pop entertainment.

Relax.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »

Shure I do, but I bring my .45 magnum.
You got a problem wit dat ?

Methinks you are not very well versed in firearms.  Which .45 round were you referring to?  The .45 Remington-Thompson (1922) or the .45 Winchester Magnum (1979)?  Both are very rare calibers, and generally not known.

The .44 Remington Magnum is easily the most popular, and common, large-caliber round in the U.S.  Just stick with that.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »

Methinks you are not very well versed in firearms.  Which .45 round were you referring to?  The .45 Remington-Thompson (1922) or the .45 Winchester Magnum (1979)?  Both are very rare calibers, and generally not known.

The .44 Remington Magnum is easily the most popular, and common, large-caliber round in the U.S.  Just stick with that.
Methinks you are mostly correct.
Up here in "the Great White North", legal use of guns is pretty restricted. Back in the late 70's, I had a carry permit, and the "company gun" was a S&W .357 Magnum. Since the early 80's I haven't put my hands on another.

Back on topic....
Over the years, I have provided sound at 2 gunfights, 3 or 4 knifings, and a half dozen brawls. It is a valid question for an insurance company to ask.
My medical insurance should probably ask the same question !
I know my heart stopped during both gunfights ! It's amazing how small I can get, and how fast I can dive under the board, dead cases be damned !
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.