ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Gangster Rap" Insurance  (Read 20303 times)

Brian Larson

"Gangster Rap" Insurance
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »

I just got off the phone with an insurance company I'm trying to get a quote from. General liability for a one-man production company. Basic stuff.

They asked me a few questions like if I used pyrotechnics and what my annual income is. Then the guy asks "Do you do any "Gangster Rap" concerts?" I asked him to repeat the question.

I thought that was kind of strange. Like, what even qualifies as "Gangster"? If I file a claim after I provide for a hip hop show will they deny it citing it was "Gangster"? As a fan of rap music I find this kind of offensive an generalizing.

Is this just the waves from that incident with Odd Future earlier this year?

Thoughts?

Patrick Moore

"Gangster Rap" Insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »

Definitely generalizing. Not so offensive, but certainly not a valid question for an insurance company to ask. 

I know where they're going with the question, but there's a much better way to ask it.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: "Gangster Rap" Insurance
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »

Definitely generalizing. Not so offensive, but certainly not a valid question for an insurance company to ask. 

I know where they're going with the question, but there's a much better way to ask it.

If there's a better way to ask it, how is the question not valid? Insurance companies don't survive by charging low rates for high risk coverage. The risk involved in any business is what the rates are based on. The insurance company has to ask the questions to make a judgement about the risk. If they exclude certain types of events from your coverage your rates will be lower, but you won't be covered if you do those events anyway.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »

If there's a better way to ask it, how is the question not valid? Insurance companies don't survive by charging low rates for high risk coverage. The risk involved in any business is what the rates are based on. The insurance company has to ask the questions to make a judgement about the risk. If they exclude certain types of events from your coverage your rates will be lower, but you won't be covered if you do those events anyway.

Mac
Agreed

Auto insurance companies ask how many miles you drive to work-what time of day you drive them-total miles per year-if you do autocross and so forth.

I don't see a problem with them asking that.  After all-it is a risky genre and insurance companies are in it to make money-not to lose it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

It's the same as being asked if you live within the flood plain of a river that may be nearby. If the answer is yes do you think you'll be able to buy cheap flood insurance?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »

Mac

I know things work differently in the US and in our little corner of the world, but here there's a very strong sense of "all culture is created equal" meaning that it's frowned upon to try to "categorize" or "discriminate against" any particular single type of musical genre.

The insurance company should probably have asked "will there be drugged/drunk people at any of your shows, and will they be in less than great venues".  Being that this is true for probably most concerts the answer won't tell them much.

I suspect that what they're really asking is "will there be black, uneducated angry young men at your shows" but that's to un-PC so they just call it "gangster rap" instead.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:29:42 AM »

I suspect that what they're really asking is "will there be black, uneducated angry young men at your shows" but that's to un-PC so they just call it "gangster rap" instead.
I suspect that it is not so much the music-as it is the type of audience that is likely to attend.

Of course this changes from generation to generation.  Years ago it would be a punk show or thrash metal (although those still apply-but they are not the current crop of "popular" anti culture).

The insurance company is just looking to protect THEIR interests-they could probably care less about the insured.

I totally agree with Bobs comment.  Certain "things" are just more risky than others.  It is not the insurance companys fault people choose to work on risky shows.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

I just got off the phone with an insurance company I'm trying to get a quote from. General liability for a one-man production company. Basic stuff.

....Then the guy asks "Do you do any "Gangster Rap" concerts?" ..
Shure I do, but I bring my .45 magnum.
You got a problem wit dat ?
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »

It is a "threat" that no longer exists (if it ever did). "Do you screen passengers for shoe-explosives"?

Find a more modern agent.

Brian Larson

"Gangster Rap" Insurance
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »

I know things work differently in the US and in our little corner of the world, but here there's a very strong sense of "all culture is created equal" meaning that it's frowned upon to try to "categorize" or "discriminate against" any particular single type of musical genre.

The insurance company should probably have asked "will there be drugged/drunk people at any of your shows, and will they be in less than great venues".  Being that this is true for probably most concerts the answer won't tell them much.

+1

ProSoundWeb Community

"Gangster Rap" Insurance
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.