ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PL 6.0 PFC problem - Sound Quality  (Read 10947 times)

paul bell

Re: QSC PL 6.0 PFC problem - Sound Quality
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:04:44 PM »

The PL6s are over 20 years old, some of the parts are no longer made and likely remaining stock is with QSC...

While they are old, I think they came out about 1999 or 2000, making them 13~14 years old.

But yes, QSC is running out of parts and, at least for the 6.0PFC/6,0II, the PL380 is a viable replacement AND they offer that neat rebate.

I am looking at picking up a Crown MA5002VZ but I'm worried it won't have as much grunt as the pl6 based on specs.

No, I'd say that the old Crown MA series is aging worse than QSC amps. And Crown considers them less of a urgent repair than a current model.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:15 PM »

Those original PL amps were great.  I have a 4.0 and a 3.8.  I have never needed repair but I hope parts are available if I do.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »

I know that this is the reason why it hasn't been a problem. The problem does not manifest itself when running subs. I double checked.
All the settings on the amp are correct. The problem still exists.

I spoke with him and he informed me that there was pretty much nothing on the top of his mind that it could be and that my only bet was to find a QSC authorized center and pay them whatever they ask to diagnose it. He also told me that PL6's are a pain to repair and work on so if it IS a problem with the amp then it would most likely be costly and that they are running out of any parts for them and suggest I move to a Powerlight 380.

Less than thrilled.

If you are handy you can do a crude distortion test yourself by padding down the output voltage -20 to -30 dB then feeding a mult of the input and the passed output into two channels of a mixer. You may need to invert one. If the signal is clean you can tweak the gain to get a rough null between the two stems.

In general the amps will have internal clip or overload LEDs that will tell you if the output is not following the input.

The amp was a big dog back when it was new... I recall people asking who would ever buy an amp that big? I guess times change.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

paul bell

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »

Those original PL amps were great.  I have a 4.0 and a 3.8.  I have never needed repair but I hope parts are available if I do.

I have six 9.0's and four 3.8x amps in my system. I have a friend with a mirror system with 6.0's.

The 9.0 & 6.0 amps are pretty complex and unique. The rest of the original Powerlight line is more similar to "normal" amp designs so I'd think they're more easily repaired. The 3.8x is really a 4.0 with a by-passable internal crossover.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.