ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $2500 to spend on PA for a band that plays small venues.  (Read 3703 times)

david coleman

$2500 to spend on PA for a band that plays small venues.
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »

Hi there, I'm David Coleman and new here. First post!  Looking for some advice.

I have $2500.00 to spend and live in South America, so unfortunately my options are quite limited.

Went looking around today and came across RCF 312A MKIII Speakers
http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-series/art-312-a-mk-iii

and the Mackie PRO  FX 16

We'll be plugging in:  2 vocals, 1 keyboard, 3 microphones for the drum kit

We play funk and rock, and can get pretty loud.  I have a nice Fender Deluxe tube amp and the bass amp is a 300 watt Laney RB8.

Will these speakers do the trick?  Or am I way off?  Any advice or comments. I know very little about live sound, unfortunately.  Thank you in advance

~David Coleman

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: $2500 to spend on PA for a band that plays small venues.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:07:21 PM »

I have $2500.00 to spend and live in South America, so unfortunately my options are quite limited.

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-series/art-312-a-mk-iii

We play funk and rock, and can get pretty loud.  I have a nice Fender Deluxe tube amp and the bass amp is a 300 watt Laney RB8.

Will these speakers do the trick?  Or am I way off?  Any advice or comments. I know very little about live sound, unfortunately.  Thank you in advance

~David Coleman

My guess is... maybe.  The speaker is 300W LF plus 100W amp for the HF. You might be surprised how well you can do... but adding subs is so much nicer for a live band gig.

Dave Wightman

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »

~David Coleman

I own a pair of these speakers for mains, and they sound fantastic and are pretty loud! You could cover a 100 person venue without a problem, but I don't believe they will cover much over that. As Tim mentioned, if you plan on miking the kick, a sub will really be essential to  getting the best sound possible out of your system. I would not use these as monitors however; the monitor angle is pretty bad IMO.

As for your mixer, I would avoid the ProFX series. If its possible, you would be much better off with a used Mixwizard and might even save yourself a few bucks in the process.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:34:38 AM »

The RCF312a's are a really nice speaker for the price.  The best sound per dollar out there IMHO.

I agree that a used MixWiz would be a better bet for your mixer.  It is a much better mixer than the ProFX.

david coleman

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »

Thanks so much for the responses.  Unfortunately, I don't even have an option for another mixer.  The other place I went to only had Phonic brand. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »

Thanks so much for the responses.  Unfortunately, I don't even have an option for another mixer.  The other place I went to only had Phonic brand.

There's this big store called "the Internet" where you can find and purchase anything imaginable.

Of course, the shipping costs may kill you.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »

The soul/funk bands in my area use  2 per side Mackie active tops and subs or equivalent.

This one for example http://soulinjection.org/ sorry no great shot of their PA,  but they get good and loud.  As I recall, they use wired clip on mics for the horns.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.