ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Truck roof repair  (Read 22591 times)

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
Re: Truck roof repair
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »

+1 on the Fiberglas (R) cloth and epoxy resin.  Growing up in Maryland we had 5 boats, 3 of which my dad built from scratch.  I learned about fiberglass (now a generic term) at an early age.  One word of caution: when sanding, wear tight-fitting goggles.  Glass dust in your eyes is very painful.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »

+1 on the Fiberglas (R) cloth and epoxy resin.  Growing up in Maryland we had 5 boats, 3 of which my dad built from scratch.  I learned about fiberglass (now a generic term) at an early age.  One word of caution: when sanding, wear tight-fitting goggles.  Glass dust in your eyes is very painful.
Wear a mask, too.  Glass dust in your lungs might even be worse.  Also, you need good ventilation when working with the epoxy.  With the epoxy resin, you'll need the appropriate hardener (based on temperature/humidity).
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »

Just to clarify, fiberglass is glass fibers embedded in resin.  That resin is usually polyester or epoxy.  Polyester resin is much less expensive than epoxy resin.  Here's the rub: epoxy resin will bond to epoxy or polyester; however, polyester resin will only bond to polyester.  When making a repair, the safest route is to use epoxy resin.  If you use polyester, you've got a 50% chance of the repair failing.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of the difference. Like I said, I'm not an expert. I just absorb stuff here and there and sometimes it's incomplete. That's when I have to fill in the gaps with inference and that's not always correct.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Gus Housen

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »

This http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202077791/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=fiberglass&storeId=10051
and this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202077814/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=fiberglass&storeId=10051

actually about a quart of resin would be fine, I ususally do a couple of layers- $50 a couple of hours and a chip brush, maybe a can of spray paint if you want it to look decent from 20 ft

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.