ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Any reviews of the new JBL PRX400 series?  (Read 43689 times)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Any reviews of the new JBL PRX400 series?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »

there's a pair of EAW 129Zi currently on e bay for about $1K if you can pick them up in Florida :(

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »

Anyone heard these?  They are apparently the passive version of the PRX600 series.  Very tough to find a pair without just blindly ordering them and I can find no reviews on the interwebs.  Any insight on these would be greatly appreciated.  I like the relatively light-weight (12" is ~35 pounds) and the combo 1/4" / Speakon jacks.  Don't particularly like that the corners are all unprotected, but I guess you just have to be careful when handling this type of cabinet.

Quick background: I'm looking at the PRX412M as a nice upgrade replacement for our existing Yamaha BR12 mains.  We're playing rock covers in small-ish settings (bars, wineries, parties), typically using simple 1000W peak PA heads (eg Mackie PPM608) at about half power.  No subs.  Primarily vocal reinforcement only, but sometimes powering a full acoustic arrangement (vocals, acoustic guitars, electric bass, cajon). 

PRX412M SPEC SHEET: http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/JBL_PRX412M.v11.pdf

Thanks.
- Mike

I got some of these in at the store a couple of months ago. They use the Selenium series components. Different from the JRX or PRX600. They sound much better than JRX. Not as good as MRX, SRX or STX though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:36:59 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Tom Burgess

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »

I've used and sold a few of these already.  I think they compare pretty favorably to their now-defunct MRX counterparts, definitely better than JRX (by a long shot) but obviously not to the level of SRX.  I just put a single PRX418S powered by an XTI4002 (in case they add a 2nd sub) into a dance studio that occasionally does some parties in their main room and wanted the ability to thump.  I've also used the 12's as monitors and 15's as full range mains in a small church with XLS amps and a Driverack PA+... I am very pleased with the results, as is the client.  So far so good for the PRX4XX series as far as Im concerned.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:17:36 PM by Tom Burgess »
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »

Selenium speakers?  So JBL is outsourcing it's drivers for this line.  This is a first for JBL isn't it?

Tom Burgess

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 02:59:15 PM »

Selenium speakers?  So JBL is outsourcing it's drivers for this line.  This is a first for JBL isn't it?
Nope... Harman owns Selenium.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Any reviews of the new JBL PRX400 series?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

Not as good as MRX, SRX or STX though.

Not as good as MRX? I thought it was the MRX replacement, I feel like its bound to be at least in the sand class...

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »

Not as good as MRX? I thought it was the MRX replacement, I feel like its bound to be at least in the sand class...

Well, is the STX line "as good" as the SRX line it replaces?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »

The word from JBL is "yes."  My local dealer heard them recently and said they sounded different than the SRX, but they were good, and claimed the only real downside was the additional weight.  I hope he stocks a few demo pieces so I can audition them.

YMMV.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »

The word from JBL is "yes."  My local dealer heard them recently and said they sounded different than the SRX, but they were good, and claimed the only real downside was the additional weight.  I hope he stocks a few demo pieces so I can audition them.

YMMV.

As a long time "fan" of JBL I hope that is true.  I just find it curious how the same 2206 and 2226 drivers have gone from 600 watts in the 4700 series to 800 watt drivers in the STX series!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »

The PRX400 series is not a direct replacement for the MRX. It's more like between the JRX and MRX.

I think the STX sounds a little better than the SRX. The subs seem to have more "chest thump" and the tops seem to have a more rich and fuller sound for vocals. But I've only heard the single 18" sub and 15"/horn top speaker all power by ITechs.

All the cabinets are well built.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 23 queries.