ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyway to hardwire an ipad to a console?  (Read 17123 times)

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
Re: Re: anyway to hardwire an ipad to a console?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »

+1
That's what I do at important corporates when the console can't be at FOH.  That's also why the CL series has an advantage over the LS9/M7.  You can have a laptop and iPod connected at the same time...
Jason

I didn't know the CL could do both at the same time... that's excellent! I still haven't run into one of them on a gig yet... has anyone else seen one in the DC area? I'd really like to get to try one out sometime soon...

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 02:47:13 AM »

The New Roland console that they keep advertising on here when you go to the site is supposed to have a direct connection and a wifi connection. However I have not heard or seen any of the Roland consoles. Just throwing it out there.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »

+1

That's what I do at important corporates when the console can't be at FOH.  That's also why the CL series has an advantage over the LS9/M7.  You can have a laptop and iPod connected at the same time...

Jason

FWIW, I do this with an 01V96 using Stereoscope.  It's obviously not StageMix on an 01V96, but I get hardwired (or wireless) laptop control and wifi to an iPad.  The same setup will work with an LS9,M7, DM1000/2000, 02R96, PM5D,... Stereoscope provides complete FOH & monitor mixes and a channel strip for each input with EQ, gates, dynamics,...
Mark McFarlane

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »

Software Audio Console is PC based.  Therefor your remote can be a tablet or laptop running windows. You can connect wireless or wired or both.  A plus is that you can run a CAT 5 to your remote, and plug in a set of real faders as well. now  you have a real full featured remote.
Not to Code

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 11:15:44 PM »

FWIW, I do this with an 01V96 using Stereoscope.

Where does one find this?  (Web searches came up dry.)

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »

Where does one find this?  (Web searches came up dry.)
You can find it here, Tim.

No personal experience, just helping with the search.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mark McFarlane

Re: anyway to hardwire an ipad to a console?
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:11 AM »

You can find it here, Tim.

No personal experience, just helping with the search.

I created a custom GUI for the 01V96 if you end up buying/trying Stereoscope give me a PM.  The default UI is generic, I moved some things around , renamed the dynamic 1 & to to gate and comp, made a new page using the OSC namespace, changed some controls from absolute to relative positioning to make it easier to do parametric EQ, labelled controls that don't work properly, and a few other odds and ends.
Mark McFarlane

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »

I have been using wireless control for going on 10 years, ever since I synced my first iPAQ to a IBM laptop. I have had very few issues over the years, even in places like downtown DC and NYC.  But... I have always used a hardwired computer running the control software and used a second surface to connect to the first computer via remote desktop with a dedicated router, on a secure private network, on a non-default channel.  That way if I do loose my connection I am only reestablishing a remote connection and not having to resync the entire control app.  Although, this does mean any gear that doesn't offer an online Windows editor is pretty much off the table for me.
Doug J.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »

hey all. does anyone know of a way to hardwire an ipad to any console that offers ipad controal via a wifi wireless router? in otherwords, lets say i have a job where leaving the console behind the stage and running it via an ipad out front is ideal, but i want a backup plan in case the wifi is unreliable. is there a way to run a usb or ethernet cable to the foh position and connect the ipad if needed?

Do a WiFi scan of the area and set your own router to the least used channel.  Also if you are not going to be moving around much you can run a cable and park the router right near where you are going to be standing so the iPad is only a few feet from it when it's being used.
It's not like the wifi carries any critical audio, if you lose communication the system should just hold the last settings (which is unfortunate if you're just about to pot-up a lectern mic) however you should be able to tell long before you get to that critical point if your wifi isn't reliable!
What I've done is to wander around and do as much setting and EQ'ing during sound-checks, pre-show or slower parts of the show -which is usually possible even with a stuttering connection  -and just make sure you are at the actual console backstage for any critical moments. 
The best way would be a small lightweight laptop or tablet-PC that you could simply plug the ethernet into directly.  I've even used all-in-one type touchscreen PC's (if you have a small reserved area for FOH)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »

Not sure about an offline editor but I could really use one. 

I heard a rumor that they were waiting till after the release of I-live Version 1.9 which just happened before releasing the Ipad app for the GLD.  Rumor has it that the software is complete right now and just awaiting release.

I still don't think that there is a console in the GLD's price range that gives you what the GLD does as far as mixing and routing capabilities.  I have used mine on a handful of corporate / ballroom events such as the OP is writing about and it has excelled while taking up almost no footprint.  We just did the All-State Highschool Jazz Choir Concert here last weekend and it was awesome since the 1200 seat auditorium had no place for FOH but we were able to find a little nook and make it work without losing any seats.  The Cat 5 cable is small enough to just gaff over by doors and no one even knows that there is a cable there.  I am liking it so much that I am getting another one next month.

Is there an offline editor for the GLD-80 yet?
Ryan, Have you bought your second one yet?  How are you liking the GLD-80?  I'm contemplating selling my GL2800 832 to get one.
Thank you!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.