ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Any reviews of the new JBL PRX400 series?  (Read 43682 times)

Mike Stewart

Any reviews of the new JBL PRX400 series?
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »

Anyone heard these?  They are apparently the passive version of the PRX600 series.  Very tough to find a pair without just blindly ordering them and I can find no reviews on the interwebs.  Any insight on these would be greatly appreciated.  I like the relatively light-weight (12" is ~35 pounds) and the combo 1/4" / Speakon jacks.  Don't particularly like that the corners are all unprotected, but I guess you just have to be careful when handling this type of cabinet.

Quick background: I'm looking at the PRX412M as a nice upgrade replacement for our existing Yamaha BR12 mains.  We're playing rock covers in small-ish settings (bars, wineries, parties), typically using simple 1000W peak PA heads (eg Mackie PPM608) at about half power.  No subs.  Primarily vocal reinforcement only, but sometimes powering a full acoustic arrangement (vocals, acoustic guitars, electric bass, cajon). 

PRX412M SPEC SHEET: http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/JBL_PRX412M.v11.pdf

Thanks.
- Mike
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:07:24 PM by Mike Stewart »

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Any reviews of the new JBL PRX400 series?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:42:30 PM »

A 90x50 pattern ?  when in monitor use its only 50 degrees wide. I hope all the users just stand there in one spot and don't move.

<edit typos>
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:29:01 AM by Tim Perry »

Mike Stewart

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:15 AM »

The Yamaha S112V, which I also considered, are 90 x 40, and the generally well rated (for this price point) EV SX300E is 65 x 65.  Sounds to me like 90 x 50 is in the ballpark for this group.  Am I missing something there?

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:44:24 AM »

I've heard they use the same or at least some of the same drivers out of an older fairly crap sounding series from JBL, can't remember the series name sorry. Worth a look into though

Mike Stewart

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 02:06:46 AM »

Definitely worth a look into, Chris.  Turns out, although the PRX412M is explicitly marketed as the passive version of the PRX612M, they have very different drivers.  In fact the PRX412M driver model number looks suspiciously like the one the low-end JRX series uses.
LF Drivers (as listed in the JBL spec sheets):
JRX112MI : JBL M112-8
PRX412M : JBL MB112-8 305 mm (12 in) woofer
PRX612M : JBL 262F-1 380 mm (12 in) Differential Drive® dual voicecoil and magnetic gap, neodymium woofer

Well this doesn't look good.  Not at all... :-\
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:15:15 AM by Mike Stewart »

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 05:36:15 AM »

Good thing I read this thread! Was just about to start looking at the 412m as a vocal wedge. Does anybody have experience with these units?? Nothing on the web.

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:22:54 AM »

Good thing I read this thread! Was just about to start looking at the 412m as a vocal wedge. Does anybody have experience with these units?? Nothing on the web.

As mentioned above, they use similar drivers the JRX series which sound pretty bad compared to others in their price range. The only thing so far I can see going for these is the aesthetics and the three letter badge.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »

As mentioned above, they use similar drivers the JRX series which sound pretty bad compared to others in their price range. The only thing so far I can see going for these is the aesthetics and the three letter badge.

Never mind.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:20:05 AM »

It's brand new.  I'm not even sure they're shipping yet.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:21:11 AM »

Definitely worth a look into, Chris.  Turns out, although the PRX412M is explicitly marketed as the passive version of the PRX612M, they have very different drivers.  In fact the PRX412M driver model number looks suspiciously like the one the low-end JRX series uses.
LF Drivers (as listed in the JBL spec sheets):
JRX112MI : JBL M112-8
PRX412M : JBL MB112-8 305 mm (12 in) woofer
PRX612M : JBL 262F-1 380 mm (12 in) Differential Drive® dual voicecoil and magnetic gap, neodymium woofer

Well this doesn't look good.  Not at all... :-\

There is more to a speaker system than the transducers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:21:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.