L Acoustics Kara
- 16 (61.5%)
ELectro Voice XLD 281
- 6 (23.1%)
EAW NTL 750
- 1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice  (Read 12480 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Re: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »

, Were you driving the rig you heard or was it someone else?
Probably the LEAST best way to evaluate how a loudspeaker "sounds" is to try to listen to it when you are not "driving it".

Trying to judge based on a band you don't know and a engineer you don't know what he is doing-a system on who knows what alignment/setup was done etc.

There are a lot of variables that can screw up even the best sounding systems.

A saying I used all the time in the install world-"Sooner or later we have to let the owner operate the system :(".  In most cases-that is when the sound quality starts to go downhill.

And you may not know what "limitations" were put on the design/alignment etc.

Sometimes they don't make sense at all-but will give you a bad "taste" of the sound. 

Unless you are directly involved in all aspects of the system-it is REALLY hard to say.

Even a mediocre system can sound pretty good-IF you have the right person running it.

At least we have a budget number now.  So exactly what does that number have to include:  Just the main arrays?  What about subs?  Do you already have enough of the proper sized amps?  What about processing?

I assume it has to include all the flyware-but what about the chain motors?  Or are you going to use ground lifts?  Do you already have those?

Details make all the difference.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nathan Thakur

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 01:16:04 pm »

That budget is just for 8 Boxes (with flyware), 4 Base and a DSP. I have ample amplification, chain motors and other accessories to run the system.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »

A listener's Vote

COPYING MY RECENT POST AS MY FIRST POST FOR NEWCOMERS:

The reason I can't audition the sound is because there's no availability for the same. I am planning to purchase 4 to 6 boxes per side and reinforce within a year with a bigger array. I am more into concert sound and that's the only reason I am planning to buy a rig. I already use JBL DAS Audio and have EAW JFL210s but JFLs are not powerful enough to cater to larger venues.

I am looking to invest in any of the above systems for the same reason. L' Acoustics Kara is out of my budget for now as even the cabling and connectors are different for this system which makes my recent cables & accessories purchase a total waste.

I am not asking which system sounds better but which system is suitable to cater larger audience, high SPL + Coverage and with good tonal quality. I am little doubtful trusting paper sheets and want people out there who have had a listen to the system or have used it to give me their honest review.

For Eg: For me JBL highs are crappy but hey that's me for others it may be good. I don't like DAS Line Array but that's me. I used EAW JFLs and they are good sounding speakers but I am looking at something that can cater to larger audience.

I am confused majorly between Outline and Electro-Voice. Where Electro-Voice speaker specs state they are much louder I don't know how the tonal quality is. Outline on the other hand is always compared with L' Acoustics which states it has good tonal attributes and coverage. I like the fact that u can reinforce it with Butterfly or GTO later.

You are asking for opinions on a bunch of speakers that are not that widely used (except Kara), I wouldn't expect more than a couple of people to have had enough experience on all the systems to be able to compare them. You are still providing no information about how they will be used, what types of music, what types of venues. It is still nearly impossible to answer your questions.

About my business: I am not interested in cross rental as that won't work with me. I plan to use the system and reinforce in a year with a larger system. My outlook is simple. Give them a system that sounds good and is different in the cluttered market. While other peeps are running after JBL etc I want to invest in a good sound that is different and has a good tonal tune that people can appreciate other than the engineer's work.

Disregarding cross rental makes this seem like a hobby, not a business. The point of investing large amounts of money in sound equipment is either to make money, or to feed the owner's ego. If the intent is to make money, being able to expand your inventory on a temporary basis for large shows is a critical need. Having to own double the inventory in order to use it a few times a year is a very bad business decision. Being able to expand the size of your system by using other people's gear short term makes your return on investment better. That's business. Having your ego say that only you can provide all the gear is a hobby. If it is a hobby, then just buy what you like, clearly making money isn't the issue.

I confirmed this with my EAW JFL210 purchase. I started touring with these and cut 60% of the competition. People appreciated the sound and to be honest the look of it aswel lol. Now I need a bigger rig and am looking at the above for the same.

I realize that putting Kara up was a mistake as everyone is voting it. So for now please don't vote Kara and if you do use your second vote to vote ur second preference :D

If you have an EAW rig that people, and you, like, why is the NTL720 the only EAW alternative? Where is KF730?

If your stated $44500 budget (seems like it must be tight if you can get it down to the $500 zone) has to buy 12 boxes plus DSP plus rigging frame (needed for flying or ground stack) you are down to about $3k/box. In that price range I would be looking for someone selling a used dvDOSC rig.

Mac

Jack keaton

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 03:21:48 pm »

Probably the LEAST best way to evaluate how a loudspeaker "sounds" is to try to listen to it when you are not "driving it".

Trying to judge based on a band you don't know and a engineer you don't know what he is doing-a system on who knows what alignment/setup was done etc.

There are a lot of variables that can screw up even the best sounding systems.

A saying I used all the time in the install world-"Sooner or later we have to let the owner operate the system :(".  In most cases-that is when the sound quality starts to go downhill.

And you may not know what "limitations" were put on the design/alignment etc.

Sometimes they don't make sense at all-but will give you a bad "taste" of the sound. 

Unless you are directly involved in all aspects of the system-it is REALLY hard to say.

Even a mediocre system can sound pretty good-IF you have the right person running it.

At least we have a budget number now.  So exactly what does that number have to include:  Just the main arrays?  What about subs?  Do you already have enough of the proper sized amps?  What about processing?

I assume it has to include all the flyware-but what about the chain motors?  Or are you going to use ground lifts?  Do you already have those?

Details make all the difference.

IDK if my point didn't come across the right way on my post. Ivan clearly has a better grasp on how to explain things. I would not be spending 40k+ on a system I didn't know inside and out first. You need to get out and go listen to systems you are interested in buying. If it takes a plane ticket to do it, I would. I also wouldn't just listen to one persons system. I've heard properly set up vertecs ive also heard terrible set ups I would still buy them in a heart beat.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 26 queries.