ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody have experience making their own ethernet cables?  (Read 8675 times)

Michael Kim

Anybody have experience making their own ethernet cables?
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »

I'm looking to make some cat5e cables for my in-ear monitors, however finding the right bulk cable has become a bit of an issue.

I'm looking for something that's:

1. STP (Shielded)
2. Stranded
3. Ruggedized

Until now I've been able to find cable that's shielded, but solid (Belden 1533) or stranded and rugged but unshielded (Gepco CT504HD). I'd prefer to go with Belden and Gepco as I've heard they're the most reliable (at least in the US). Any leads on a good internally shielded RJ45 connector would be appreciated as well!

To explain the usage, I'll be going from a digital mixer (QU-16) to a Power over Ethernet hub, and then from the hub out to a set of personal mixers (ME-1). This is in a portable context, so we'll be setting up and breaking down weekly.

The reason I'm making custom cables is because I'd like to use Ethercon where possible--which means one sided ethercon cables.

I'm in the NY/NJ area, so I have no issue buying from a local supplier if anybody has suggestions.

Thanks,
Michael
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:50:53 AM by Michael Kim »

Kyle Van Sandt

Re: Anybody have experience making their own ethernet cables?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:35:06 PM »

http://www.tmb.com/products/49-proplex-cat5e

You really can't beat TMB's cable.  You can order them however you want or bulk wire.  Be sure to buy "stranded" RJ45 connectors if you go that route. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:53:49 PM »

http://www.tmb.com/products/49-proplex-cat5e

You really can't beat TMB's cable.  You can order them however you want or bulk wire.  Be sure to buy "stranded" RJ45 connectors if you go that route.
+1 on TMB Proplex, but -1 on making your own.  Order them from TMB with the connectors you want.  Ethercon is no problem, and you can order different types on different ends - Ethercon on one side, ruggedized standard RJ-45 on the other.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:09:12 PM »

Any reason you need shilded cable? I use UTP Belden 1305A for our Aviom systems, works fine.

I'm looking to make some cat5e cables for my in-ear monitors, however finding the right bulk cable has become a bit of an issue.

1. STP (Shielded)
2. Stranded
3. Ruggedized

Until now I've been able to find cable that's shielded, but solid (Belden 1533) or stranded and rugged but unshielded (Gepco CT504HD). I'd prefer to go with Belden and Gepco as I've heard they're the most reliable (at least in the US). Any leads on a good internally shielded RJ45 connector would be appreciated as well!

To explain the usage, I'll be going from a digital mixer (QU-16) to a Power over Ethernet hub, and then from the hub out to a set of personal mixers (ME-1). This is in a portable context, so we'll be setting up and breaking down weekly.

The reason I'm making custom cables is because I'd like to use Ethercon where possible--which means one sided ethercon cables.

I'm in the NY/NJ area, so I have no issue buying from a local supplier if anybody has suggestions.

Thanks,
Michael

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »

You may want to look into whether or not shielding is required.  I doubt it is.

Neutrik makes Ethercon connectors that attach to cables with existing RJ-45 connectors.  The base NE8MC connector does that.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

It's really not that hard to make your own Ethernet cables. Buy a crimper for $15 and get an app on your phone for the wire color coding, like A/V Tools. Unless you're building crossover cables, you want to wire both ends as 568B.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »

It's really not that hard to make your own Ethernet cables. Buy a crimper for $15 and get an app on your phone for the wire color coding, like A/V Tools. Unless you're building crossover cables, you want to wire both ends as 568B.

568A Green/White | Green | Orange/White  | Blue | Blue/White | Orange | Brown/White | Brown
568B Orange/White | Orange | Green/White | Blue | Blue/White | Green | Brown/White | Brown

No need for an app for that.  If you're making cables, memorize this!  You can quick check your connector by seeing that every other wire is a solid color.  If not, you KNOW it's wrong.

There's no significant difference between the standards, although the twist specifications of the wires are different.  Extremely sensitive equipment MIGHT care, but I've yet to see it.  For most general use, as long as you match the pairs on each end, you should be fine.

Pairs are:
Pin 1&2
Pin 3&6
Pin 4&5
Pin 7&8
Brian Jojade

Dave Jensen

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:10 PM »

1. STP (Shielded)
2. Stranded
3. Ruggedized

This new CatSnake Belden cable seems to meet your 3 requirements. Also check out their new RJ45 connector by viewing the PDF link on the upper right of the product announce page. The linked PDF includes the product order numbers.

Dave

Michael Kim

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

Hi all,

Thanks for the leads. Regarding the requirement for shielded: it's advised in the manual. I did contact A&H and they said it might be okay without it, depending on the other power/data runs that accompany. Their gear does have shielded ports. I believe this is different from Avioms, which recommend unshielded (maybe since their ports and hubs are unshielded?).

I had looked into proplex and hadn't found a retailer that carried it in the (small) amount I needed. But with the link, I put in a quote directly to proplex, so thanks for that!

Regarding the new Belden, I don't know that it's on sale anywhere? I haven't tried digging into the Belden site, mostly because it's really overwhelming haha.

I'm not too worried about making my own cables. Those neutrik connectors were exactly what I was looking at. Cat5e is pretty straightforward to crimp reliably.

Thanks all!

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »

Hi all,

Thanks for the leads. Regarding the requirement for shielded: it's advised in the manual. I did contact A&H and they said it might be okay without it, depending on the other power/data runs that accompany. Their gear does have shielded ports. I believe this is different from Avioms, which recommend unshielded (maybe since their ports and hubs are unshielded?).

I had looked into proplex and hadn't found a retailer that carried it in the (small) amount I needed. But with the link, I put in a quote directly to proplex, so thanks for that!

Regarding the new Belden, I don't know that it's on sale anywhere? I haven't tried digging into the Belden site, mostly because it's really overwhelming haha.

I'm not too worried about making my own cables. Those neutrik connectors were exactly what I was looking at. Cat5e is pretty straightforward to crimp reliably.

Thanks all!

Just an FYI, TMB will manufacturer, sell, and ship to anyone in any quantity. I get small quantities from them all the time.

How much cable do you need?
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.