ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212  (Read 24231 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »

New QRX 212's are "around" $2000. So maybe a price for a good used set would be in the $3000 range. 
So the SM80s will be "around" $3000 each? A single 12 inch coaxial in a SH box.  :'( There goes my thoughts of a $1200 dollar or so Danley speaker... I'm sure its a great speaker but for those not informed of the Danley concept/rep it may be a hard sell.

Douglas R. Allen

I want to point out that you may very well only need a pair of SM80 cabinets to perform the job of four of the QRX.

Ivan's point about the Danley products getting overlapped for narrower coverage patterns is one that should be emphasized-the first large system of the old TD1 cabinets I heard was at the King Biscuit Blues festival in Helena, Arkansas, by Mike Grimm of CSS Audio in Peoria(he still provides).  Twelve per side, in a 3x4 configuration, firing into the the side of a grass covered levee next to the Mississippi River.  About 15k lining this to listen, and I spent all weekend there, walking thru the crowd up to the top of the levee, side to side, many times for a lot of different artists on stage. 

One of the coolest things I noted was the absence of degenerative comb filtering-where any two rows of speakers in the hang overlapped coverage, it only got a little louder.

Mike has since mentioned in conversation that the main stage could be covered by less without any problem, there's plenty of horsepower.

Best regards,

John

Rick Powell

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 02:00:50 AM »

Not to hijack the thread but personally I just wish that I could afford either box.... Which begs the question, does Danley make an affordable (top) box for the "loungers" such as myself?

Depending on your needs and your ability to scrounge the used market.  AFAIK, the SM100 (formerly SH100) is the most inexpensive box in the line (or maybe the Micro).  I previously stated I have seen the SH/SM100 and the SH95 pop up used for sub $1000 prices.  Neither box comes close to keeping up with an SM80 for sheer volume capability, but every Danley box's SQ is outstanding.  Most of the other boxes are either too new to be found much on the used market, or too high end to be available at "low" (sub $2k?) prices.  I did see a single SH50 just now on ebay for $1500, has a few dents and dings.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »

The Danley SM80 list price is a little north of $3k a box...

Just a detail, but it's $2999 MSRP.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Rick Powell

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »

Just a detail, but it's $2999 MSRP.

Thx, I heard that a few months ago, and then that the final pricing went up a bit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.