ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212  (Read 24234 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »

The conundrum...you can get a pair of used QRX 212's for what one new SM80 will cost. *Snip* 

New QRX 212's are "around" $2000. So maybe a price for a good used set would be in the $3000 range. 
So the SM80s will be "around" $3000 each? A single 12 inch coaxial in a SH box.  :'( There goes my thoughts of a $1200 dollar or so Danley speaker... I'm sure its a great speaker but for those not informed of the Danley concept/rep it may be a hard sell.

Douglas R. Allen

Chip Dryden

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »

The touring/portable version of the SM80 has a ple mount in it-as well as standard fly points.

THe SM80 is very flat out of the box-but it never hurts in some cases to add a eq point or two as needed-but none is required.  Of course a high pass is recommended and a low pass on the TH118's

If I was going to do hard rock type of gigs with the Sm80-I would want 3 TH118's to keep up with each SM80.  For lessor "bass heavy" gigs- 2 TH118's would work.  A single TH118 has a hard time keeping up.

Yes it is arrayable hard packed for 160°.  But you could "tilt them in" towards each other for lessor coverage if needed.  Yes there will be a little bit of interaction-but since all the sound originates from the same point in space in each box-there is much less interference in the overap region than with boxes that have spaced drivers.  I really doubt anybody would realize-unless you play pink noise as source material.

The 80° will cover most normal gigs and in the cases you are talking about a single unit per side would be enough.

We used a single SM80 at the WFX compact loudspeaker demo for the last couple of days-and the audience area was about 110 x110'-inside a room that was probably 300x300'  We used a single TH118 woofer.  There were a lot of people taking videos of the event-so maybe some of these will "pop up" on the web in the next few days.

Great info here! I look forward to getting a opportunity to hear them in person.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »

QRX212's go for around 1600 new so they're about half of what the Danley's cost.
Comparing apples and oranges here

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »

QRX212's go for around 1600 new so they're about half of what the Danley's cost.
Comparing apples and oranges here

A pair of QRX's used usually goes in the neighborhood between $1800-2200 depending on condition.  They don't often appear b/c their owners are apparently fond of hanging on to them.  The Danley SM80 list price is a little north of $3k a box...this does not mean you can't get them at a discount from a dealer, and I would advise anyone interested in pricing them out to get a quote from a dealer.  As far as "inexpensive" Danley boxes go, I have seen SH100 and SH95 go on the used market for less than $1000 a box, and I bought some very good 4 ohm TH 115's for $1250 apiece. 

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:56:59 AM »

A pair of QRX's used usually goes in the neighborhood between $1800-2200 depending on condition.  They don't often appear b/c their owners are apparently fond of hanging on to them.  The Danley SM80 list price is a little north of $3k a box...this does not mean you can't get them at a discount from a dealer, and I would advise anyone interested in pricing them out to get a quote from a dealer.  As far as "inexpensive" Danley boxes go, I have seen SH100 and SH95 go on the used market for less than $1000 a box, and I bought some very good 4 ohm TH 115's for $1250 apiece.

My vote is for the QRX 212's

As a QRX 212 owner I can safely say these are my go to box's after demoing many many speakers for the price range of under 2K a box for a weekend warrior setup over the past eight years running sound and a couple hundred shows.

I bought a new pair for $2600 4 years ago and they have seen me through everything. Power them well and get them up high and they are one of the smoother boxes for the money passive or bi amped.  Very little EQ needed to get them to sound right. I have 6 now as of this upcoming Tuesday having just bought a 3rd pair and don't hesitate to do large crowds indoor or out. That EV horn has a nice sparkle built into the passive X over around 12K or so that makes it really pleasant to hear for hours. Loud without fatigue and great smooth mid with the dual 12s that sound wonderful right up until their limit and then you back off. I do rock and electronic music mostly but the few classical shows with pianos and orchestras have been a pleasure to hear through my QRX tops. I have also seen the QRX 153 and 112's out and about and always sound very pleasant but I know that has a lot to do with the system setup and BE. They never disappoint for the correct sized crowds.

Owners hold onto them because they are rare to find used and often are well taken care of and heavily recommended by owners. I have gotten more compliments and questions on my de badged QRX 212's than any other speakers I have mixed on with my rig.

Chip Dryden

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »

Agreed George!  It really does help to bounce our ideas out here in the forums and digest the responses. Thanks ALL-- I'll just stick with what I have for now. I've decided to keep a eye out for a used set of QRX's and another set of subs to do the larger rooms.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 02:18:41 AM »

If I was going to do hard rock type of gigs with the Sm80-I would want 3 TH118's to keep up with each SM80.  For lessor "bass heavy" gigs- 2 TH118's would work.

"They" say that a TH118 can equal two or three boxes such as an SRX728.  If an SM80 can keep up with three TH118, this would mean that it could keep up with six to nine SRX728.  I find this to be highly implausible.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 03:39:52 AM »

"They" say that a TH118 can equal two or three boxes such as an SRX728.  If an SM80 can keep up with three TH118, this would mean that it could keep up with six to nine SRX728.  I find this to be highly implausible.

Yes, I too sometimes wonder about where along the chain these kinds of comparisons go astray. You can put together some pretty absurd chains - such as the one you mention.

In a few weeks I can tell you what the SM80 feels like side by side with a d&b Q7, which I'm hoping to replace...

Just goes to show that both people's acoustic memory and product specifications are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Just yesterday I had my latest experience about specifications when I found that the Powersoft M50Q rated 750W@8 ohms could drive my SRX712M wedges every bit as loud, and possibly a bit louder, than my SMRT P3600 rated 1050W @8 ohms. Now I know it's only about 1.5 dB, but still...
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 06:59:18 AM »

The term "keep up" means very different things to different people.

If you mean that keep up means to have the same max level-then that is VERY different than what I said-which is I would want at least 2-3 TH118's per SM80 to do loud rock bands.

Now maybe I like a lot more bass than others-but I was talking about situations in which the sub are run a good bit ( like 15dB ish) hotter than the mains.

If you are not running the subs (and not just the "alignment" but more about the mix ( lots of kick-deep bass etc)  as hot as I sometimes like (music style correct), then you won't need as many subs.

You also have to consider what you mean by "keeping up with other subs".  At what freq?  At 80hz it may be one thing-at 35 Hz it may be a completely different number-based on the ACTUAL freq response of the cabinets.

As with all things audio-you CANNOT dumb things down to a single simple number.  That is why I said 2-3TH118's when doing loud rock bands.  If I was doing lighter types of music-the number would be different.

I am sure different people milage will vary-just like driving differences make on real milage.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »

Not to hijack the thread but personally I just wish that I could afford either box.... Which begs the question, does Danley make an affordable (top) box for the "loungers" such as myself?

Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

ProSoundWeb Community

New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.