ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: wiring dual subs with each driver seperate pair  (Read 10660 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: wiring dual subs with each driver seperate pair
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »

It was critical that the bass be heard.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Marty McCann

• Meridian, Mississippi USA
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »

Many current models of double 18 inch Subs have a total power capacity that exceeds the current capability of a simple pair of even AWG #14 guage.

Remember the ratings of our wire are based on electrical safety standards.  A AWG#14 guage wire can handle 20 Amperes of current without heating up to the point that the insulation will break down and cause a short or worse . . . a fire.

This does not mean that at a given current level the wire will NOT be Hot.  If you loudspeaker cable is hot, you have significantly raised the impedance of the wire.  This impedance is seen by the loudspeaker as being in series with the internal source impedance of the amplifier and thus adversely affects the DF.

A dual 18 Sub that handles 2400 Watts continuously would be drawing 24.5 Amperes of current at that continuous power.  This is too much current for any significant length of AWG #14.  Using two independent runs to each loudspeaker will split the current to 12.25 Amps per run.  The wire stays cooler and what ever the DF may be it is constant and hopefully higher than 20 as a system.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »

I am still trying to get past someone doing a critical listening test saying "the loudness and bass tone control were set on max".
i wanted the bass cranked to the max. an audiofile would probably want it set flat with a gold plated knob for better sound !  ;)  :o and tripped out like a circut breaker.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »

i wanted the bass cranked to the max. an audiofile would probably want it set flat with a gold plated knob for better sound !  ;) :o and tripped out like a circut breaker.

A real audifile's audio amp would not have any tone controls at all. Their moto would be if it needs tone controls to sound good its a bad design. :)

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »

A real audifile's audio amp would not have any tone controls at all. Their moto would be if it needs tone controls to sound good its a bad design. :)
yes i know. i had a Convergent Audio Technologies Signature preamp i bought around 1993 and sold a few years ago. A friend worked at several audiophile stores that sold Krell, Audio Reaseach , Conrad Johnson, VTL, Rowland Reasearch, etc. I also had a VPI HW19 MK2 turntable with an Emminent 2 air bearing arm and a Carngie 1 cartridge. Yeah am an audiphile but some people make fun of audiophiles and I was making a joke about the gold plated knob. Yes some of that audiophile stuff is pure garbage like that power cord plug that a guy posted on the forum recently. Btw my CAT preamp didnt had tone controls.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.