ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212  (Read 24236 times)

Chip Dryden

New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »

What do you all think regarding replacing my QRX's with these SM80's? 20 lbs lighter, pole mountable(assumption).I can probably drop one amp since I bi-amp the QRX's,  I believe the Danley line doesn't need much if any processing????? I already use the TH118's. I do have concern if I decide to double up the system for larger/wider events- I guess these are not so array-able? Current use is for modern live country acts, pop rock stuff,  typical medium size clubs/sports bars, wedding halls etc... Thanks in advance!

Frederik Rosenkjær

Re: New Danley SM80 VS QRX 212
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:17:02 AM »

Just a side note: The SM80 is intended to be arrayble hard packed. How well it does this, I don't know yet. I can tell you when I get the pair I'm expecting in October...
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »

Just a side note: The SM80 is intended to be arrayble hard packed. How well it does this, I don't know yet. I can tell you when I get the pair I'm expecting in October...

It may hard pack just fine, but I certainly don't see it as it's main use, how often do you need 160 degrees of horizontal coverage from a pair of tight packed loudspeakers?

Best regards,

John

Chip Dryden

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:35:40 AM »

Now that I've re-read my post- 160 deg... Duh I should have realized that before I asked the question.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:27:53 AM »

What do you all think regarding replacing my QRX's with these SM80's? 20 lbs lighter, pole mountable(assumption).I can probably drop one amp since I bi-amp the QRX's,  I believe the Danley line doesn't need much if any processing????? I already use the TH118's. I do have concern if I decide to double up the system for larger/wider events- I guess these are not so array-able? Current use is for modern live country acts, pop rock stuff,  typical medium size clubs/sports bars, wedding halls etc... Thanks in advance!
The touring/portable version of the SM80 has a ple mount in it-as well as standard fly points.

THe SM80 is very flat out of the box-but it never hurts in some cases to add a eq point or two as needed-but none is required.  Of course a high pass is recommended and a low pass on the TH118's

If I was going to do hard rock type of gigs with the Sm80-I would want 3 TH118's to keep up with each SM80.  For lessor "bass heavy" gigs- 2 TH118's would work.  A single TH118 has a hard time keeping up.

Yes it is arrayable hard packed for 160°.  But you could "tilt them in" towards each other for lessor coverage if needed.  Yes there will be a little bit of interaction-but since all the sound originates from the same point in space in each box-there is much less interference in the overap region than with boxes that have spaced drivers.  I really doubt anybody would realize-unless you play pink noise as source material.

The 80° will cover most normal gigs and in the cases you are talking about a single unit per side would be enough.

We used a single SM80 at the WFX compact loudspeaker demo for the last couple of days-and the audience area was about 110 x110'-inside a room that was probably 300x300'  We used a single TH118 woofer.  There were a lot of people taking videos of the event-so maybe some of these will "pop up" on the web in the next few days.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »

If I was going to do hard rock type of gigs with the Sm80-I would want 3 TH118's to keep up with each SM80.  For lessor "bass heavy" gigs- 2 TH118's would work.  A single TH118 has a hard time keeping up.

I can't wait to receive the two I've ordered and I'm very curious to see how loud they really are.

Your estimate of 2-3 TH118 pr. box is not far from my own estimated ratio of SH46s-to-TH118s, but the SH46 is from the specs a lot louder still...maybe we just have different tastes? :)
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »

I can't wait to receive the two I've ordered and I'm very curious to see how loud they really are.

Your estimate of 2-3 TH118 pr. box is not far from my own estimated ratio of SH46s-to-TH118s, but the SH46 is from the specs a lot louder still...maybe we just have different tastes? :)
It depends on how much low end you like.

I did a hard rock show awhile back with 4 SH46's per side and 6 TH115's per side.  WHile it was plenty for the gig-the 115's were close to the limit-while the SH46's were just loafing along.

There are different tastes in "sound".  To Americans if you say 3 way-it means adding a sub.  To the Japanese it means adding a super tweeter.  We all "look" for different things.

A designer friend of mine was working on a system for a club and had it dialed in (or so he thought).  The owner didn't like it-and they kept adjusting.  Finally the owner was happy.  My friend said it sounded like a total "Ice pick throught he forehead"-very painful/harsh etc.

But that was the sound the guy was looking for.

I had a FOH guy tell me once that while my system sounded good-it didn't have that "make your eyeballs wince" type of sound that would "cut through".

I took that as a compliment-but he meant it as a negative comment.

Whatever-----------------

Either way I would like to hear your comments.  The SM80 is "my baby".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »

Either way I would like to hear your comments.  The SM80 is "my baby".

Congratulations on your postpartum figure!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rick Powell

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 04:00:25 PM »

The conundrum...you can get a pair of used QRX 212's for what one new SM80 will cost.  And we won't have any real chances for a shootout or anecdotal evidence until more SM80s come into the world.  Based on my previous experience with the SH50 (which sounded great but was a little unwieldy for my needs) and along comes a box that will do similar spl above 100 Hz, with the same sonic pedigree but with a wider coverage pattern and half the weight...sounds like a can't miss proposition if your budget allows.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »

And just to mention, a speaker that has the pattern control to array nicely is also easier to keep off of the walls and to turn in more filling the center without bleeding excessively back onto stage, even if you don't need the coverage of 2 boxes tight packed.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.