ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown XTI USB directly to router  (Read 19244 times)

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
Re: Crown XTI USB directly to router
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »

I've run XTI rack with a Keyspan TCP/IP to USB server.  I think they my not be made anymore, however.

What model were you using? I just bought the TP-Link TL-PS310U as per the recommendation above and spent several hours on it this past weekend and was unable to get it work. Also, I do not like the fact that you have to have special software to make it happen. Is there a way to connect the XTi amps to a network that does not involve any software to be installed and running on the pc side? Also, is there a way to get this working on a mac?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

What model were you using? I just bought the TP-Link TL-PS310U as per the recommendation above and spent several hours on it this past weekend and was unable to get it work. Also, I do not like the fact that you have to have special software to make it happen. Is there a way to connect the XTi amps to a network that does not involve any software to be installed and running on the pc side? Also, is there a way to get this working on a mac?

The quick answer is NO.

The whole concept of the XTi series is that it's NOT a baby I-Tech.  Crown's take is that if you need remote, real time monitoring and control of networked amplifiers via TCP/IP connections, you should be buying I-Techs.

The reliable way to do this is get a cheap net top or laptop and park it at your amp racks.  Use USB hubs to connect the amps in each rack to a USB port on the host computer.  Use VNC to connect that computer to whatever remote client computer you want to use to monitor or control with.

You are correct, Band Manager is Windows-only.  Bite the bullet and take an old Windows machine you have laying around and use it.  You can still use your iFruit to VNC into it so you won't soil your hands by touching a Windoze box. /sarcasm, humor, other literary devices
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:05:32 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »

The reliable way to do this is get a cheap net top or laptop and park it at your amp racks.  Use USB hubs to connect the amps in each rack to a USB port on the host computer.  Use VNC to connect that computer to whatever remote client computer you want to use to monitor or control with.

Thank you for the idea! That's probably the route I'll go at this point. And humor is always appreciated  ;)

Tom Burgess

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »

The quick answer is NO.

The whole concept of the XTi series is that it's NOT a baby I-Tech.  Crown's take is that if you need remote, real time monitoring and control of networked amplifiers via TCP/IP connections, you should be buying I-Techs.

You are correct, Band Manager is Windows-only.  Bite the bullet and take an old Windows machine you have laying around and use it.  You can still use your iFruit to VNC into it so you won't soil your hands by touching a Windoze box. /sarcasm, humor, other literary devices
New product in the Harman booth ought to be a cure for this situation, the USBX.  IIRC, connect up to six USB devices and has built in wifi for a couple hundred bucks.

If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »

New product in the Harman booth ought to be a cure for this situation, the USBX.  IIRC, connect up to six USB devices and has built in wifi for a couple hundred bucks.

This is good news, Tom.  Thanks for the report from the floor...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 03:45:06 PM »

Good to know! Do they have a street date and price yet?

Tom Burgess

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »

Good to know! Do they have a street date and price yet?
Probably.  My brain's still a little mushy from 2 days of appointments but I'll check with my rep on Tuesday.   :o

Edit - I'm plane hopping today or I'd call him now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:57:55 PM by Tom Burgess »
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Isaac Bugalho

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 11:08:53 AM »

Have to go back to this installation, everything works, but it's really really slow.

I'm thinking of installing one "Raspberry PI" per rack to share the USB's to the network

Will the XTI be recognized in Linux?? Do I need drivers??

Thank you.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »

Will the XTI be recognized in Linux?? Do I need drivers??

I'm pretty sure that the Harmon apps for setting the DSPs on the XTi's only work on Windows based systems. I decided to take Tim's advice and I use VNC to remote into my windows laptop next to the amps from my mac at FOH.

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »

....the 4 XTI (through a USB Hub) - was the USB Hub powered externally or passive from device?

I have seen the amp meters bog down (and other problems) when trying to use a passive hub, and that was direct from 3 XTI into computer/System Architect.

The meters seem awfully bogged down even directly plugged into my laptop.  Not sure if it is my laptop or just how slow the meters are normally.  Been meaning to plug the amp into my desktop to compare but I haven't had a chance.

The following article (first one that came up on google) indicates that it is likely going to retail about $250.  Now all the amps need is some visible indication of hitting the limiters.  Thinking about getting a dc-one to solve that problem but I doubt it will be compatible with the USBX

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/The-Music-Business/HARMAN-s-CrownAudio-Introduces-USBX-at-NAMM-2013-Enhancing/ba-p/34685179

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.