ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta Three ΣJ218 - Chinese 2 x 18''  (Read 16719 times)

kent desmond

Beta Three ΣJ218 - Chinese 2 x 18''
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:39:11 AM »

Has anybody heard of these chinese subs before ?

I'm in Australia , and after a double 18 sub . It's pretty slim pickins' from the local dealers. They don't keep any stock for me to demo.

The cab is 15mm birch , and pretty weighty.

Here are the specs :  http://www.elderaudio.com/products/MultifunctionSpeaker/ESSeries/2009/J218.html

I can get them for about $1400AU (our dollar is close to parity with US$ at the moment )

The only other contender is the mighty SRX728s , but it's an extra $1000 bucks. :(

thoughts ? opinions ?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Beta Three ΣJ218 - Chinese 2 x 18''
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »

Has anybody heard of these chinese subs before ?

I'm in Australia , and after a double 18 sub . It's pretty slim pickins' from the local dealers. They don't keep any stock for me to demo.

The cab is 15mm birch , and pretty weighty.

Here are the specs :  http://www.elderaudio.com/products/MultifunctionSpeaker/ESSeries/2009/J218.html

I can get them for about $1400AU (our dollar is close to parity with US$ at the moment )

The only other contender is the mighty SRX728s , but it's an extra $1000 bucks. :(

thoughts ? opinions ?

Thoughts?  Sure... don't buy a pig in a poke.  That means don't buy anything you haven't (or cannot) examine prior to purchase.

The wood may be 15mm thick, but what about the speakers?  What about the engineering that did or didn't go into it?

Remember that the wrong product and the 'right' price is still the wrong product.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:31:41 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

arno chapelier

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »

hello
sorry for my english i'm french...

i have listen the b3 subs and it's not a good sound, no good punch and it's bass reflex
for the same price in chinese you can have funktion one f218 like

i possess 16 subs f218 of TPA and for the price it's very a good punchy clear sound like the funktion one/turbosound sound

i attach a foto of my system

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:16:29 PM »

hello

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:36:57 PM »

I couldn't see any information about the drivers except that two of them together in this cab are rated at 1000 watts RMS. That doesn't instill the greatest of confidence...

I know you guys in Australia are really stuck. If I lived there I'd seriously consider building (or having built) subs using proven designs with known drivers rather than buying at such inflated prices. I don't know if that sounds palatable to you at all, just a thought...

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »

I couldn't see any information about the drivers except that two of them together in this cab are rated at 1000 watts RMS. That doesn't instill the greatest of confidence...

D&B b2 is rated 600 watts RMS. Meyer 700 HP is 1200 watts AES. Make whatever you want of it but that number would be low on my (long) list of concerns.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »

D&B b2 is rated 600 watts RMS. Meyer 700 HP is 1200 watts AES. Make whatever you want of it but that number would be low on my (long) list of concerns.
Agreed.

Wattage is the thing that many people get "hung up on".  Yes it is one (but ONLY one) point in the overall ratings.  Sensitivity-real freq response can often play a larger part is the overall "equation".

Just like horsepower is only 1 rating in determining how fast a vehicle can go.  Take a large heavy car and it takes a lot to get it going.  Or take a lightweight gokart and it can go very fast on a very small engine.

How well each one rides is completely different but if speed and MPH are the only things one is interested in-then "easy" answers are easy to come by-but don't give the whole story.

Kind of like how well a car drives/rides.  Not so easy to put on a spec sheetp-and be comparable to other models.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »

hello

i have listen the b3 subs and it's not a good sound, no good punch and it's bass reflex
for the same price in chinese you can have funktion one f218 like

i possess 16 subs f218 of TPA and for the price it's very a good punchy clear sound like the funktion one/turbosound sound

i attach a foto of my system

Advertising any copied boxes of any current product of any manufacturer is not a good stuff. I would ask the moderators to act there. Delete the post maybe?

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »

What I meant to convey was that there is nothing whatsoever on these drivers except for their power handling capabilities. The lack of any other information does not give me the greatest of confidence in this box.

If I lived in Australia (unless I was rich or had a ton of work lined up) I'd seriously considering the alternative of building my own or having them built for me - which was the main point I was trying to make anyway.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »

What I meant to convey was that there is nothing whatsoever on these drivers except for their power handling capabilities. The lack of any other information does not give me the greatest of confidence in this box.

Gotcha! It's the old pronoun with a missing antecedent problem.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.