ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Genie lift will suffice for QSC kla12  (Read 6361 times)

Kayode Omotade

Which Genie lift will suffice for QSC kla12
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:00:04 AM »

With a DIY mindset, I want to fly speakers in a big tent in Lagos say about 8ft . the speakers am looking at are the "QSC kla 12" just 3 on two sides. I understand the concerns about safety but am not sure i can find riggers easily. I don't mind reading up on the safety procedures. since estimated weight is about 175lb which cost effective lift should i go for.

Michael Elphinstone

Re: Which Genie lift will suffice for QSC kla12
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »

With a DIY mindset, I want to fly speakers in a big tent in Lagos say about 8ft . the speakers am looking at are the "QSC kla 12" just 3 on two sides. I understand the concerns about safety but am not sure i can find riggers easily. I don't mind reading up on the safety procedures. since estimated weight is about 175lb which cost effective lift should i go for.

Dude, the safety procedure you should read is the one that says "get a rigger". If you're asking a forum how to hang that much weight off a lifter, you're out of your depth. Get a professional rigger or get some speaker stands and sandbags.

Cheers,
Michael

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:07:50 AM »

While Michael's advice is certainly prudent, being out of the US or Europe may make that difficult.

The appropriate Genie lifts for entertainment production are the Genie Supertowers:
http://genielift.com/en/products/new-equipment/material-lifts/super-tower/index.htm

Neither model is rated for outside use, but at 8' with only 175lbs you're not likely to have a big problem short of a hurricane.

Two more brands you may want to look at:
http://www.sumner.com/sumner/sub/productb/main.26.7.26.0.0.0.html

http://www.appliednn.com/l_MINILA.php

You should read up on spansets, shackles, graded hardware, etc.

Kayode Omotade

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »

Dude, the safety procedure you should read is the one that says "get a rigger". If you're asking a forum how to hang that much weight off a lifter, you're out of your depth. Get a professional rigger or get some speaker stands and sandbags.

Cheers,
Michael

Lol Michael ;D. This is flying speaker and not rocket science, let demystify this thing. I would be flying just bout 3 cabs weighing Less than 300kg. wouldn't want to start looking around for riggers. dont find that easy in West Africa :)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »

This is flying speaker and not rocket science.
It's a lot like rocket science.  Physics doesn't care what country in which you reside.  Gravity is unforgiving.  If something goes wrong (which is not that much of a stretch given you're lack of experience and knowledge) and someone gets hurt or killed, that could be the end of your financial existance - unless, of course, you happen to have millions of dollars laying around.  Insurance will NOT cover damages due to improperly deployed rigging systems.  There are riggers everywhere.  Try large construction companies if there are no entertainment riggers in your area.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »

Lol Michael ;D. This is flying speaker and not rocket science, let demystify this thing. I would be flying just bout 3 cabs weighing Less than 300kg. wouldn't want to start looking around for riggers. dont find that easy in West Africa :)

If you want to DIY and maintain an acceptable level of safety, I'd forget about flying and simply stack the cabinets on scaffolding.  It's easy enough to wrap them in fabric and make them look good.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.