ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ah, the stress of running the sound board  (Read 15040 times)

Ole Anderson

Ah, the stress of running the sound board
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »

So I am running the sound Sunday and just into the announcements, I hear a funny sound almost like feedback, just loud enough to be annoying.  A few folks, including the pastor's wife, stopped by the booth to see if I heard it too, and a few folks just looked back from their pews with kind of a dirty look.  The sound would vary in pitch, almost like music.  Even with all of the main faders at zero it was still there.  So I turned off all but the FOH amp, it was still there.  The guy running projection had a fancy BlueTooth hearing aid remote, so he turned it off; no change.  I was thinking it might be one of the 14 new 300 watt CFL's we placed in the sanctuary a few months ago, but I didn't dare turn off the lights to see if that was it.  This goes on for half of the service until a lady leaves.  When she reenters the sanctuary, it starts up again.  Turns out it was her oxygen concentrator whistling.  Knowing that, I was finally able to relax and enjoy the rest of the service.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
Re: Ah, the stress of running the sound board
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:38:58 PM »

It's always awesome when people come back to the booth and let me know about a problem that I was already aware of, and until interrupted, was trying to localize and fix.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »

So I am running the sound Sunday and just into the announcements, I hear a funny sound almost like feedback, just loud enough to be annoying.  A few folks, including the pastor's wife, stopped by the booth to see if I heard it too, and a few folks just looked back from their pews with kind of a dirty look.  The sound would vary in pitch, almost like music.  Even with all of the main faders at zero it was still there.  So I turned off all but the FOH amp, it was still there.  The guy running projection had a fancy BlueTooth hearing aid remote, so he turned it off; no change.  I was thinking it might be one of the 14 new 300 watt CFL's we placed in the sanctuary a few months ago, but I didn't dare turn off the lights to see if that was it.  This goes on for half of the service until a lady leaves.  When she reenters the sanctuary, it starts up again.  Turns out it was her oxygen concentrator whistling.  Knowing that, I was finally able to relax and enjoy the rest of the service.
I have had the almost exact same thing happen at one church.  A feedback that would come and go-even with the sound system off.

Come to find out it was a leak in the HVAC that sounded EXACTLY like a low level feedback getting ready to "take off".

And even when it was pointed out that the sound system was not the problem-some people still blamed the sound system-because it sounded like feedback--OH well-----------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »

I've had peoples hearing aids do the same thing.

Sometimes we just have to grin and bear it.

Chris Hubbard

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »

It's always awesome when people come back to the booth and let me know about a problem that I was already aware of, and until interrupted, was trying to localize and fix.
Amen! So it doesn't just happen to me? Whats even better is that 98% of the time its something that can't be fixed from booth- turn on the mic for a performer, performer holding  mic directly in front of a stage monitor....

Kent Thompson

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »

Amen! So it doesn't just happen to me? Whats even better is that 98% of the time its something that can't be fixed from booth- turn on the mic for a performer, performer holding  mic directly in front of a stage monitor....

the one I love *turns microphone off and starts talking*

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 01:13:48 AM »

...turn on the mic for a performer, performer holding  mic directly in front of a stage monitor....

I had to get to the point where a performer (or the Pastor) could walk right in front of a speaker and not have feedback, because that happens quite often during each service.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 01:20:16 AM »

the one I love *turns microphone off and starts talking*

This is why none of my microphones have switches. (Except for the wireless.)

If there is a switch, it's like a magnet: the performer/announcer WILL turn it off when done. However, the next performer will NOT have any clue to turn the switch on even if it jumps up and bites them on the nose.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:48:45 AM »

One nice thing about the Sennheiser handheld wireless mics is the ability to disable the switches on the transmitter.
Mark McFarlane

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »

If there is a switch, it's like a magnet: the performer/announcer WILL turn it off when done. However, the next performer will NOT have any clue to turn the switch on even if it jumps up and bites them on the nose.

We solved that by:

Not putting wireless mic inputs into any of the stage monitors with any amount of gain.

The main speaker system is just below the ceiling, 27 feet up.

;-)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.