ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to replace/upgrade HOG1000  (Read 13391 times)

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

Re: Need to replace/upgrade HOG1000
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »

okay, our church's HOg1000 is getting long in the tooth, so i'm looking for replacement ideas.

we're currently running 20 mac250 fixtures and 96 channels of conventional dimming.  it's unlikely we will add a lot more yolk lights or any conventional dimming in the future, but led panels and the like are certainly on the horizon.  The hog has 2 universes.  i'm not sure we're gonna ever need a whole lot more than that....

i'm not afraid to jump to a completely different operating system.  the HOG has been fine, and all my guys know how to run it.  but no one is in love with it. 

primary criteria, in order of importance.

1.  reliability.  the HOG hasn't been...

2.  ease of use.  all my lighting programmers are volunteers

3.  price.  absolutely must be less than 10K [i'd prefer around 5K] U.S dollars

4.  i'd prefer an established brand.  we'll have this desk for probably 8-10 years.  i'd like the manufacturer to still be around at the end of that time.

i know there are some software based solutions available, and i'm not totally against those, if they will meet the above criteria.

any suggestions?

Most of the big brand consoles cost way more than 10k new. You MAY be able to find something like a used Chamsys if your lucky (but it will probably be beat up a bit).. You won't get a Avo, MA, Hog 3/4, Roadhog, etc for that little.

Used hogs may be an option. Hog 2, IPC are both disco'd and can be found for 2500-7000$ish.

I'm not to familiar with conventional boards as i mostly play with moving lights.. I'm sure frog/jands/etc have boards in those ranges NEW.

Josh Daws

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:23 AM »

Most of the big brand consoles cost way more than 10k new. You MAY be able to find something like a used Chamsys if your lucky (but it will probably be beat up a bit).. You won't get a Avo, MA, Hog 3/4, Roadhog, etc for that little.

Used hogs may be an option. Hog 2, IPC are both disco'd and can be found for 2500-7000$ish.

I'm not to familiar with conventional boards as i mostly play with moving lights.. I'm sure frog/jands/etc have boards in those ranges NEW.

i recommend 3 consoles,

1-Martin M1
2-Grand MA
3-Chamsys

all 3 will suit your needs now and into the future for a very long time! :)

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »

Chamsys Maxi Wing with a touchscreen computer will come in way under 10k with a great tactile surface plus the touch screen. Consoles will cost much more. Only took me a week to get one delivered from the UK.

http://chamsys.co.uk/maxiwing
In the US, talk to Mike @ Farralane 1.800.433.7057

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »

Chamsys Maxi Wing with a touchscreen computer will come in way under 10k with a great tactile surface plus the touch screen. Consoles will cost much more. Only took me a week to get one delivered from the UK.

http://chamsys.co.uk/maxiwing
In the US, talk to Mike @ Farralane 1.800.433.7057

with the new year, and a new budget, this project has bubbled back to the surface at precisely the same time this thread did.  :)

right now it's looking like either a Chamsys system [probably the system you describe or something very similar] or a Jands Vista system.  in either case we're talking about a PC for the software and some type of hardware controller.  keeping in mind we need 2 universes, does anyone have any specific recommendations regarding those two systems?  i'm looking for advice regarding which PC platform to use [i'm a Mac guy, but my LD is a PC guy so i can live with a PC if that's a better way to go].  Also, which controllers/wings/whatever make the most sense at this budget point.

thanks in advance...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »

Take a look at the Mega Systems Enlighten One. It's designed specifically for churches that use volunteers. Plus it is also entirely made in San Antonio, TX.

http://www.mega-lite.com/prolight/dmxcont/consoleone/
List price is $3800 and you need a touch screen windows pc.

This thing is pretty awesome. You can download the software to demo it from the website. Also, their tech support is outstanding.

Disclaimer: I am a dealer for Mega Systems

Kyle

Josh Daws

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »

try the Martin M2-PC. the retail price is reasonable. and you can dooo so much with it and is super simple to use. you don't NEED a touch screen but you would definitely benefit from it however! :)

http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=m2pc

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »

Take a look at the Mega Systems Enlighten One. It's designed specifically for churches that use volunteers. Plus it is also entirely made in San Antonio, TX.

http://www.mega-lite.com/prolight/dmxcont/consoleone/
List price is $3800 and you need a touch screen windows pc.

This thing is pretty awesome. You can download the software to demo it from the website. Also, their tech support is outstanding.

Disclaimer: I am a dealer for Mega Systems

Kyle
It seems the PC is inside.  No?

Daniel Goodnow

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »

If you can stretch your own budget just a little the last list price I saw for the roadhog 4 was $10.5k. This would allow you to stay within the hog line and give you a lot of features for your money. Otherwise, the nano wing comes in at under 5k and you could go with a hogpc setup.

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »

I actually just finished up a large live music venue install using nothing but Mega/PR Lighting fixtures and Mega's Enlighten One console paired with a Samsung 22" touchscreen monitor.  As it stands now, I love the Enlighten software.  I was able to pick up the workflow in a matter of about half hour, and a couple of days into the install was breezing thru it like I had been using it for years.  Once it's setup, it is super easy for anyone to use. 

TJ - yes the Enlighten One console is basically a pc with faders/buttons/knobs built into the case.  Actually it's the other way around - they have a hardware wing, and then shoved a small footprint motherboard inside it. All the typical PC connections are on the back, and it runs Windows 7.

I have noticed some stability issues when trying to work extensively in the programming mode during a live show; I will update when I figure out whats causing it.
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18
Consoles: Midas Pro2, Pro1, M32, M32R
RF: Shure UHF-R, PSM900, Professional Wireless
Lighting: Chauvet Professional
Lighting Control: Hog, Avo, Martin
Staging: Stageline, Staging Dimensions
Video: Blackmagic Design, Kramer, Decimator

Mississippi, US

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »

just to close the loop an this thread...

we've elected to go with a Jands Vista PC based rig using an S3 console wing and accessing 4 universes.  everything is on order.  we'll see how it all works once we get it, but i'm pretty optimistic.  our LD has already spent considerable time acclimating to teh software.  it's just a matter of hooking it up for real and then training our volunteers.  and me.  that part might be harder, since i'm just a dumb ol' sound guy...

thanks to all for your advice and help.  i really did explore everything that was mentioned.  this just seemed the best fit for our needs.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.