ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering DMX cable ends  (Read 5612 times)

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
Soldering DMX cable ends
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:16:58 PM »

Is there any different technique for DMX compared to mic XLR cable ends?  I need some shorter cables and soldering a few connectors will be a bunch cheaper than buying pre-made cables the right length.  I know the cables are different, but the cable ends look like normal XLR (this is all 3 pin fixtures and board).
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Rick Earl

Re: Soldering DMX cable ends
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »

Is there any different technique for DMX compared to mic XLR cable ends?  I need some shorter cables and soldering a few connectors will be a bunch cheaper than buying pre-made cables the right length.  I know the cables are different, but the cable ends look like normal XLR (this is all 3 pin fixtures and board).
The major difference is that the pins are smaller on a 5 pin, but nothing hard to deal with but with 3 pin, it is just like a mic cable.  I make my own and adapters all the time.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »

The only difference is technique: you use your right hand to solder audio cables, but your left hand for DMX cables.
Sorry, bad humor. There is no difference.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dave Potter

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »

The only difference is technique: you use your right hand to solder audio cables, but your left hand for DMX cables.
Sorry, bad humor. There is no difference.

Except that the cable itself is  different.  It must be 120ohm impeadance cable rather than 75ohm like microphone wire.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.