ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar amp mic?  (Read 31157 times)

Evan Hunter

Re: Guitar amp mic?
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »

Are there mics specific for guitar amps? And if so, what?

Try out the EV ND408 and the EV ND 478. I prefer those over any Shure/Sennhieser mic.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »

Try out the EV ND408 and the EV ND 478. I prefer those over any Shure/Sennhieser mic.

Yes, those can do as well.  But I'll up the ante on this thread by saying that nobody has talked about where to position the microphone(s).  Just naming this or that brand/model hardly gets at the art of finding the sweet spot........

So just for fun:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/recording/how-to-mic-an-amppart-1-the-basics/

Audio clips........
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:01:05 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Re: Guitar amp mic?
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »

Right now, I am thinking that a bag full of Heil PR31's would match my style beautifully.
+1
Don't forget the "BW" on the model name so Bob Workman, FOH Engineer for Charlie Daniels, gets his credit for asking Bob Heil to build it.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »

Yes, those can do as well.  But I'll up the ante on this thread by saying that nobody has talked about where to position the microphone(s).  Just naming this or that brand/model hardly gets at the art of finding the sweet spot........

So just for fun:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/recording/how-to-mic-an-amppart-1-the-basics/

Audio clips........

"The 906 just lays on the grill and sounds good." - partial credit?
[/size]
[/size]Great video - thanks for the link. As that video shows, the correct answer is "it depends."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »

It always "depends". It could be the front, back of an open cabinet, through a piece of plexi, 6' in front, on the grill, at an angle, off center, yada, yada.

And Chuck, there's a few I can listen to and tell you what it is in 30 seconds. Not because they're special, but because they can sound so bad.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »

It always "depends". It could be the front, back of an open cabinet, through a piece of plexi, 6' in front, on the grill, at an angle, off center, yada, yada.

And Chuck, there's a few I can listen to and tell you what it is in 30 seconds. Not because they're special, but because they can sound so bad.

I'll grant you that, but I am always more concerned about the sound being created by the guitar player than I am mic choice.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:36:40 PM by Chuck Simon »

James A. Griffin

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »

I'll grant you that, but I am always more concerned about the sound being created by the guitar player than I am mic choice.

+1.   No matter what the instrument (or voice) it all begins with the musician.    We can only do so much.   A Heil PR30 or Royer 121 is not gonna save a crappy player who doesn't know how to set up his amp.     An SM57 is not gonna slow down a great one.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

David Parker

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »

Are there mics specific for guitar amps? And if so, what?

I haven't done any ridered jobs in a while, but when I was, I can't remember a rider where an SM57 wasn't on the acceptable list for guitar cab mic.

I used E609s for quite a while, mainly because you can drape them and didn't need a mic stand. I got into some bad situations with small stages and the E609s picked up WAY too much from nearby drums and such. I switched to the i5 and have loved them ever since. In a critical listening environment, there might be subtle differences between the various mics, but doing sound on small stages, I'd choose the ability to overcome a major problem vs. a subtle difference.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 08:11:28 PM »

I haven't done any ridered jobs in a while, but when I was, I can't remember a rider where an SM57 wasn't on the acceptable list for guitar cab mic.

I used E609s for quite a while, mainly because you can drape them and didn't need a mic stand. I got into some bad situations with small stages and the E609s picked up WAY too much from nearby drums and such. I switched to the i5 and have loved them ever since. In a critical listening environment, there might be subtle differences between the various mics, but doing sound on small stages, I'd choose the ability to overcome a major problem vs. a subtle difference.

that's interesting; one of the reasons I liked the 906's is their rejection of everything else because they're laying on the grill. We did a 22 track recording to an Alesis HDR24 and was able to individually record the guitars - I had very good separation. And we play on small stages - usually 15-20' wide for a 7 piece band.

Wondering now if the off-axis rejection is different between the 609 and 906.

David Parker

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »

that's interesting; one of the reasons I liked the 906's is their rejection of everything else because they're laying on the grill. We did a 22 track recording to an Alesis HDR24 and was able to individually record the guitars - I had very good separation. And we play on small stages - usually 15-20' wide for a 7 piece band.

Wondering now if the off-axis rejection is different between the 609 and 906.

the 609s were kicking my butt. One gig, with glass wall behind the guitar amp and drums, the floor tom was peaking the guitar cab mic. I also on occasion would get low-mid feedback from the 609 on guitar cab. I switched to the i5 and haven't had that problem again. The e609 is supposed to be cardiod, and the i5 is also cardiod, so they should be the same, but mine were not. I need to put my 609s up on ebay, I'll never use them again.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.