ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas PRO1  (Read 24854 times)

Daniel Postilnik

• Chicago, IL
    • SimpleAV - Audio-Visual Solutions Made Simple
Re: Midas PRO1
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 12:57:55 AM »

Just from the perspective of what is popular on forums, why does this garner so little buzz as compared to the X32? Is it that everyone wants to see Behringer make some kind of "comeback"?
The rigs:
KW 152, KW 181 | EV SX250 / Mackie SRM450
EAW LA215, MRX 528 | Xti4000, XLS5000
Mackie SRM450, JBL JRX118sp

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:18 AM »

To state comeback is to imply they were once "there". The X32 is what appears to be a well thought out entry level desk. The buzz is due to the curiosity factor surrounding the first offering from a company about to compete with a product of yet known value and quality. Combine that with a need for real support of the product, from a company not known for quality and support, and you create a "WTF" factor. Curiosity would be a better word here.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »

Time aligned, phase coherent output busses!

They keep hitting this point pretty hard. Can you give me some real-world examples of where this might be useful apart from parallel compression?
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Oliver Driver

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »

They keep hitting this point pretty hard. Can you give me some real-world examples of where this might be useful apart from parallel compression?
Also if it's the same as the PRO2 / 2C then you have to have it in 'FOH Mix' mode in the settings page and this gives you a latency of 8.49ms......which in my book is quite a lot.....

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »

I have no doubt I will be corrected if I am incorrect. So flame suit on. From other reading that I have done on this forum I believe in some people view one of the drawbacks to aux fed subs is that not all consoles main output busses are aligned with the aux sends completely this is mostly due to how much routing is done inside the console (how many virtual racks are used) because of this latency varies. To fix this if you look at

Also if it's the same as the PRO2 / 2C then you have to have it in 'FOH Mix' mode in the settings page and this gives you a latency of 8.49ms......which in my book is quite a lot.....

I believe that the 8.49 msec is to take the longest possible route and use that as the base time and align everything to that so you maintain
Time aligned, phase coherent output busses!

And do not add other phase issues from the console itself.
 Thats the only real world use I can think of at this time.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »

Just from the perspective of what is popular on forums, why does this garner so little buzz as compared to the X32? Is it that everyone wants to see Behringer make some kind of "comeback"?

Well, the X32 thread has been going for several weeks and has discussions going with a gentleman who has an X32 and has done many shows with it.

This thread is very new and not much information other than the Midas web site seems to exist.

Personally, I think this is pretty exciting. These (the PRO1 and X32) are going to put significant price pressure on the other suppliers which may well result in another wave of under $10k products.

Heck, look what has happened with new product since the thread on less than $20k mixers was started!

Personally, I like the design model for input/output of the A&H GLD more than the PRO1. Why? Well, the GLD has a few inputs and outputs on the surface which lets you do small, say, corporate things with just the surface. For bigger, you want a stage box anyway so it might as well connect with a digital type cable.
The PRO1 has both a ton of mic inputs and outputs as well as the remote stage box ability which is adding significant cost to the base unit.
My $0.02
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:03:26 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Roland Clarke

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »

Midas, now being owned by Music Group are obviously looking to use the brand name and push it into whatever market they can.  As pointed out in this thread, this price point is designed to hit even at Yamaha's budget offerings and "this is a Midas!"

In my view, I think that it's very clever and aggressive marketing, they have probably the best "brand name" in live touring consoles and they are using it to full advantage. 

What we all have to get used to and retrain our thought processes about is that with digital, outside of the analogue circuits and the physical control surface itself, digital processing power is for relatively next to nothing cost wise.  I suspect that the direction they are taking is far more to do with music groups business model than Midas of old.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »

Yeah, I don't really know what it means. I was just repeating their marketing drivel in a sarcastically enthusiastic manner as if it was some feature that I have really been wanting on my next console, when in fact, I have no idea what it is, or whether I even care about it.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »

Yeah, I don't really know what it means. I was just repeating their marketing drivel in a sarcastically enthusiastic manner as if it was some feature that I have really been wanting on my next console, when in fact, I have no idea what it is, or whether I even care about it.

I want tail fins......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »

Being an owner of a Venice, and being in the market for a digital mixer in the $10,000 price range, I was very excited to see this until I saw printed on the back of the console "Made in China".
I noticed that the Pro 2 series is also made in China.
Were any Midas products made in China prior to their takeover by Behringer?
Anyone know where the Allen & Heath GLD80 is manufactured?

Thanks,
Robert

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.