ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas PRO1  (Read 24895 times)

Ole Marius Holden

• OleM lyd
Midas PRO1
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Midas PRO1
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »

Time aligned, phase coherent output busses! And a light weight, all al-U-min-e-umm chassis. That Behringer technology must be filtering up the product chain. Probably still a $10,000+ mixer.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:42:41 PM »

The layout looks logical, the features are good, and I like that you don't have to buy another box just to plug in a mike, snake, or anything else. Almost wish I had held off on the APB.... Nah.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Árni F. Sigurðsson

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »

Bye bye iLive!

A tweet from ProSoundNews:
The new Midas Pro1; company says it will list "under $10,000"

From the picture looks like a really well thought out layout. We have a few Pro9's at work and I love the layout. This is getting it as close as you can with the space given.

Can't wait to get one!
Sound technician
Menningarfélag Akureyrar / Akureyri Culture Company
Iceland

Adam Robinson

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »

Bye bye iLive!

A tweet from ProSoundNews:
The new Midas Pro1; company says it will list "under $10,000"

From the picture looks like a really well thought out layout. We have a few Pro9's at work and I love the layout. This is getting it as close as you can with the space given.

Can't wait to get one!

Under $10,000?  My guess is $9,999.  I really don't foresee them dropping the bottom out on price for this desk

Árni F. Sigurðsson

• SR Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

Under $10,000?  My guess is $9,999.  I really don't foresee them dropping the bottom out on price for this desk

The A&H iLive t80 is $9999 just for the surface, which is unusable until you get a dsp/input.

It's not much more expensive than a LS9-32

What is there in the Digital age with this feature set around the $10k mark.

Add $5000 for a DL251 extra 48ins/16 outs.

I also see this console selling more Pro2/6/9s in a multi hall concert hall installation. Having for say a Pro9 for the mail hall, Pro2 as monitor/mobile for smaller hall and the Pro1 for small gigs (Conference, small jazz trio etc.) allowing you to own set of input racks and surfaces for scalability.
Sometimes you just don't have enough space for a Pro9
Sound technician
Menningarfélag Akureyrar / Akureyri Culture Company
Iceland

Anthony Forchielli

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »

Just chose a Vi1 over a Pro2 and this doesn't do anything to change my decision.  I simply don't like their layout.  And i'm quite frankly skeptical of the new ownership at Midas.

Jack keaton

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »

Just chose a Vi1 over a Pro2 and this doesn't do anything to change my decision.  I simply don't like their layout.  And i'm quite frankly skeptical of the new ownership at Midas.

someone had to go there.. and it was you.

Anthony Forchielli

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:44:35 PM »

someone had to go there.. and it was you.

sure was.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 12:06:31 AM »

Duh... smell peanuts? it's the elephant in the room.

Innocent until proven sleazy but the PC police only enforce religion and politics. Stating opinions about products and companies, is what the WWW is all about.

So free speech is still allowed..  IMO.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Daniel Postilnik

• Chicago, IL
    • SimpleAV - Audio-Visual Solutions Made Simple
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 12:57:55 AM »

Just from the perspective of what is popular on forums, why does this garner so little buzz as compared to the X32? Is it that everyone wants to see Behringer make some kind of "comeback"?
The rigs:
KW 152, KW 181 | EV SX250 / Mackie SRM450
EAW LA215, MRX 528 | Xti4000, XLS5000
Mackie SRM450, JBL JRX118sp

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:18 AM »

To state comeback is to imply they were once "there". The X32 is what appears to be a well thought out entry level desk. The buzz is due to the curiosity factor surrounding the first offering from a company about to compete with a product of yet known value and quality. Combine that with a need for real support of the product, from a company not known for quality and support, and you create a "WTF" factor. Curiosity would be a better word here.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »

Time aligned, phase coherent output busses!

They keep hitting this point pretty hard. Can you give me some real-world examples of where this might be useful apart from parallel compression?
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Oliver Driver

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »

They keep hitting this point pretty hard. Can you give me some real-world examples of where this might be useful apart from parallel compression?
Also if it's the same as the PRO2 / 2C then you have to have it in 'FOH Mix' mode in the settings page and this gives you a latency of 8.49ms......which in my book is quite a lot.....

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »

I have no doubt I will be corrected if I am incorrect. So flame suit on. From other reading that I have done on this forum I believe in some people view one of the drawbacks to aux fed subs is that not all consoles main output busses are aligned with the aux sends completely this is mostly due to how much routing is done inside the console (how many virtual racks are used) because of this latency varies. To fix this if you look at

Also if it's the same as the PRO2 / 2C then you have to have it in 'FOH Mix' mode in the settings page and this gives you a latency of 8.49ms......which in my book is quite a lot.....

I believe that the 8.49 msec is to take the longest possible route and use that as the base time and align everything to that so you maintain
Time aligned, phase coherent output busses!

And do not add other phase issues from the console itself.
 Thats the only real world use I can think of at this time.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »

Just from the perspective of what is popular on forums, why does this garner so little buzz as compared to the X32? Is it that everyone wants to see Behringer make some kind of "comeback"?

Well, the X32 thread has been going for several weeks and has discussions going with a gentleman who has an X32 and has done many shows with it.

This thread is very new and not much information other than the Midas web site seems to exist.

Personally, I think this is pretty exciting. These (the PRO1 and X32) are going to put significant price pressure on the other suppliers which may well result in another wave of under $10k products.

Heck, look what has happened with new product since the thread on less than $20k mixers was started!

Personally, I like the design model for input/output of the A&H GLD more than the PRO1. Why? Well, the GLD has a few inputs and outputs on the surface which lets you do small, say, corporate things with just the surface. For bigger, you want a stage box anyway so it might as well connect with a digital type cable.
The PRO1 has both a ton of mic inputs and outputs as well as the remote stage box ability which is adding significant cost to the base unit.
My $0.02
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:03:26 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Roland Clarke

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »

Midas, now being owned by Music Group are obviously looking to use the brand name and push it into whatever market they can.  As pointed out in this thread, this price point is designed to hit even at Yamaha's budget offerings and "this is a Midas!"

In my view, I think that it's very clever and aggressive marketing, they have probably the best "brand name" in live touring consoles and they are using it to full advantage. 

What we all have to get used to and retrain our thought processes about is that with digital, outside of the analogue circuits and the physical control surface itself, digital processing power is for relatively next to nothing cost wise.  I suspect that the direction they are taking is far more to do with music groups business model than Midas of old.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »

Yeah, I don't really know what it means. I was just repeating their marketing drivel in a sarcastically enthusiastic manner as if it was some feature that I have really been wanting on my next console, when in fact, I have no idea what it is, or whether I even care about it.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »

Yeah, I don't really know what it means. I was just repeating their marketing drivel in a sarcastically enthusiastic manner as if it was some feature that I have really been wanting on my next console, when in fact, I have no idea what it is, or whether I even care about it.

I want tail fins......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »

Being an owner of a Venice, and being in the market for a digital mixer in the $10,000 price range, I was very excited to see this until I saw printed on the back of the console "Made in China".
I noticed that the Pro 2 series is also made in China.
Were any Midas products made in China prior to their takeover by Behringer?
Anyone know where the Allen & Heath GLD80 is manufactured?

Thanks,
Robert

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »

Being an owner of a Venice, and being in the market for a digital mixer in the $10,000 price range, I was very excited to see this until I saw printed on the back of the console "Made in China".

Thanks,
Robert

My GLD 80 surface says Made in Great Britain,  My AR2412 and my AR84 both say Made in England!

BTW is sounds and performs awesome.  Already been used with everything from a local Ballet to national rock bands and everything in between.  Both in  monitor world and for FOH and for both FOH and Monitors at the same time.  This weekend it is being used on a Performance Art Festival.  It's been out on about 25 show days already and it is a winner!

There are a few features that aren't perfect yet but I expect A&H to be taking care of that pretty quickly!

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »

I think these days the country of manufacture is becoming irrelevant is far as quality goes. I'm not going to get into any political discussions. Tons of fine products are coming out of China. All the Avid Venue products are made there. Nobody is complaining about build quality. Got an iPhone or a Mac? Made in China. All top notch stuff. Any QC problems with products coming out of China have little to do with the country of manufacture and have more to do with the companies contracting with the manufacturing houses not staying on top of things. It's likely in those cases that said products would be problematic no matter where they were built. Uli has a state of the art manufacturing facility. As long as he's running it right, quality shouldn't be an issue. If he's not, it will be. That would be the case regardless of where the desk was built. It remains to be seen.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Midas PRO1
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »

Thanks,
Robert

Seems to be a moot point unless it is poor quality. All the parts would have been made in China anyway.

ProSoundWeb Community

Midas PRO1
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.