ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Mixers part two the results.  (Read 14786 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Automatic Mixers part two the results.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »

This remains an unsatisfied market need for a more comprehensive "automatic" system. The technology keeps getting cheaper to do this but manufacturers are still just nibbling around the edges as the software is not trivial.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »

I didn't restate it on this thread but the application in question is a fully automatic system where a user can walk in to the sanctuary flip one security switch (power things up) and push a single button (switch scenes on the system processor) to have reasonable quality sound for a small event. Even taking the Lectrosonics out of the picture the IRP is a totally superior unit to the Shure for this application.

The system has proven to work fine, to deal with piano accompaniment and/or a soloist I left the inputs for the PZM mics in the piano and one jack on the chancel floor in bypass mode. We added a lid lock many years ago to keep the piano microphones from walking off so at an automatic sound event a player can't even open the lid. I sourced an EV N/D mic with a switch for use by a soloist. We installed a recycled school locker to store the mics, cords, and stands needed for the automatic system. This way we can grant access any time via email, text or phone call but can also reset the combination, to prevent continuing access. Most importantly a user of the automatic system does not have access to the bulk of the church's microphones and equipment.
I needed a way to make the connections to the automatic system fool proof so I pulled eight Switchcraft connectors apart and had the mounting plates powder coated green. I then swapped them into our floor boxes for every input that is part of the automatic system. To further differentiate the inputs that are part of the automatic system, but not in automatic mode, (Piano L, Piano R, Soloist) I switched out the standard switchcraft inserts with the light green phenolic insulators for some with the black insulators. I laminated an instruction card to the inside of every floor box lid that either states "No automatic sound system jacks in this box!" or shows a picture of a standard jack, an automatic system jack, and an automatic system jack that is in always on bypass mode and needs a mic with a switch.

Just to be explicit adding this subsystem functionality has had zero negative consequences on our full system capabilities or sound quality. The system reboots in to full system mode any time it is powered up from the FOH position. We found making and installing the control panel to be the most time consuming part of the entire process. As there was nothing off the shelf to fit our one latching switch for power, one momentary switch for processor control and one pot for volume, needs. We built our controls to fit into a standard two gang box and then had a 3/16" stainless plate sheared to match and engraved by a local CNC job shop. We spray painted the plate black let it dry completely then took a scotch brite pad to it and ended up with a brushed look stainless plate with painted inset lettering.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »

Bob,

I'm sure many of us on this forum would be interested in seeing what your system looks like.  If you have any (or could take any) pictures, it would be cool to see "behind the curtain".
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »

Bob,

I'm sure many of us on this forum would be interested in seeing what your system looks like.  If you have any (or could take any) pictures, it would be cool to see "behind the curtain".

My use of language not withstanding the system belongs to the church not me. I don't ever see pictures posted on here so not certain I want to open that can of worms.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »

My use of language not withstanding the system belongs to the church not me. I don't ever see pictures posted on here so not certain I want to open that can of worms.
People have posted pictures here many times before and no worms were let loose :); just resize them so they don't make everyone have to scroll a mile sideways to read posts.  What I think prompted the request for photos was the description of how you labeled things differently for the automatic system and the full system.  It sounds like a potential solution to similar problems others on this forum may face, but they really need the visual to fully understand how it was implemented.

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »

People have posted pictures here many times before and no worms were let loose :); just resize them so they don't make everyone have to scroll a mile sideways to read posts.  What I think prompted the request for photos was the description of how you labeled things differently for the automatic system and the full system.  It sounds like a potential solution to similar problems others on this forum may face, but they really need the visual to fully understand how it was implemented.

I will get some pictures taken and see what I can do about posting them in an appropriate size.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »

I will get some pictures taken and see what I can do about posting them in an appropriate size.

This service works for me:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Pete Lee

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone used BSS Soundweb London BLU-100 or so? 

They seem have everything in there that Shure SCM810 and Lectrosonics DM series offer and very flexible.

To me, Shure SCM and Lectrosonics both have their limitation.  The price for BLU-100 is around $1700.  Seem very competitive to SCM710 and DM series price.

I'm currently using a DM1612 box.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 03:30:19 AM »

IIRC the Rane RPM series have auto mixing capability (along with all sorts of other features).

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
Automatic Mixers part two the results.
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone used BSS Soundweb London BLU-100 or so? 

They seem have everything in there that Shure SCM810 and Lectrosonics DM series offer and very flexible.

To me, Shure SCM and Lectrosonics both have their limitation.  The price for BLU-100 is around $1700.  Seem very competitive to SCM710 and DM series price.

I'm currently using a DM1612 box.

I will be installing a BSS BLU-100 and BLU-3 wall plate in September for a similar application. It is a nursing home with a small stage area that needs to operate a projector and DVD player along with some mic inputs for announcements on a simple system any employee can use, as well a Allen and Heath Mixwizard for when a small band comes in. The BLU-3 will select between the simple system and full system.

ProSoundWeb Community

Automatic Mixers part two the results.
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 22 queries.