ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 01v Monitor rig, was Re: Yamaha CL5  (Read 6831 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
01v Monitor rig, was Re: Yamaha CL5
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:30:37 PM »

whew, Brian if you could do a write up on that rig i would be most interested.  Im not a big Yamaha fan, but i love o1V's, they are so functional. This is just another example

okay, here's a link to a writeup i did today on the whole system.  any questions feel free to ask.  thanks...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1atTKjYF28TDZv-XuZUEkNQUteWxdhxTd-irir3ZNM8E/edit
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:37:27 PM by brian maddox »
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mark Turner

Re: 01v Monitor rig, was Re: Yamaha CL5
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »

Thanks Brian. That's a great write-up and you anticipated pretty much every question I had. :)
I really appreciate you sharing your work and ideas.
Mark Turner
Volunteer Tech Coordinator
Woodlake UMC
Chesterfield, VA

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »

okay, here's a link to a writeup i did today on the whole system.  any questions feel free to ask.  thanks...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1atTKjYF28TDZv-XuZUEkNQUteWxdhxTd-irir3ZNM8E/edit

Bravo Brian!! Great write up! Now I need to go leard how to speak M1D1.....
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

George Dougherty

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »

Wow, I'm in awe at your ability to sort it all out and even come up with the solution.

Personally I'd rather do it all with SAC.  An inexpensive netbook at each position and some rather basic routing configuration would allow similar use of controllers tied to netbooks, or just a netbook itself. 

As an example, I'm setting this up with a band called Kahuna beach party.  The drum channels all come from a post dynamics split off FOH and mixed to a master monitor mixer.  All the other monitor channels take that drum mix post-fader.  All the other vocal and instrument inputs are compressed and EQ'd on the master monitor mix and taken post-fader for all other monitor mixes except the channels belonging to the monitor owner.  That leaves the rest of the band compressed but the monitor owner's vocal or instruments uncompressed.  Each monitor mix has 16 group masters and subgroups to utilize, so the inputs are submixed into a smaller set of faders to worry about.  Each monitor has a Me fader that controls all of the owner's channels, a vocal fader for the other lead vocals, one for all the backup vocals, and master faders for other instruments and drums.

The resulting workflow allows for a quick mix to be pulled together on the master monitor mixer with even relative levels and then minor adjustments can be made on the other mixes to adjust the master mix to an individual's taste.  Keeping the overall in balance is fairly simple as well and each mix can be re-ordered to put your channels front and center.

I'm using an $800 laptop and $1500 worth of Profire 2626's to accomplish this for 24 channels on the road.  It could easily be done for an install with a $500 computer, used MOTU interface gear off ebay and a few more channels of preamp than you've got now.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »

This is a truly fantastic implementation of midi and digital consoles!

It always amazes me how far you can push the little 01v96. It is incredibly flexible and I think every soundco should have at least one in their inventory!

Thanks Brian!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »

Wow, I'm in awe at your ability to sort it all out and even come up with the solution.

Personally I'd rather do it all with SAC.  An inexpensive netbook at each position and some rather basic routing configuration would allow similar use of controllers tied to netbooks, or just a netbook itself. 

i seriously considered going with SAC for this rig.  did a lot of research on it actually.  at the end of the day i just decided i was more comfortable with good old fashioned dedicated hardware.  the fact that we also already had 3-4 01V96s that i could repurpose i think probably contributed to that decision.

all that being said, i still sometimes salivate at the capabilities of SAC.  it's a very powerful system.    i think if i was a little more comfortable with PC-based systems [i'm an Apple guy] i might have even gone that way.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:17:07 PM by brian maddox »

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

George Dougherty

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:11:27 AM »

i seriously considered going with SAC for this rig.  did a lot of research on it actually.  at the end of the day i just decided i was more comfortable with good old fashioned dedicated hardware.  the fact that we also already had 3-4 01V96s that i could repurpose i think probably contributed to that decision.

all that being said, i still sometimes salivate at the capabilities of SAC.  it's a very powerful system.    i think if i was a little more comfortable with PC-based systems [i'm an Apple guy] i might have even gone that way.

One benefit of your solution is the midi implementation with all the bcr's.  SAC can implement midi surfaces but the model is really one controller per instance of the remote and it's currently not as flexible where you can control pretty much anything via specific midi commands.  The developer is reportedly working on documentation that could open up the full remote network protocol for development of things like a midi or osc bridge, but it's not there yet. It really pushes you to one networked remote per monitor mix controller if you want to do an Aviom style replacement.

No need to give up the Mac world if you want. Several users have reportedly built Mac hardware based rigs using bootcamp. The remote even reportedly runs in parallels IIRC.  You could probably also use the 01v's as preamps, though that's a waste of physical space.

Kudos on such a slick setup. I'm a big fan of the 01v96. Was going to be my next board till I found sac. I'm a big PC geek though and the expandability and upgradeability I enjoy from that world is the same sort of thing that drew me to SAC. The audio geek and DIY part of me is really digging what you built though.

Kyle Waters

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 06:26:17 AM »

impressive sir

brian maddox

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »

It always amazes me how far you can push the little 01v96. It is incredibly flexible and I think every soundco should have at least one in their inventory!

me too.  whenever i see folks on here and elsewhere claim the 01V96 is 'too limited' or 'only has 12 inputs' or some such i always have to laugh.  it's just a great little tool.  compact, flexible, and RELIABLE.  i often tell of using a 01V96 for 3 months doing PA for outdoor political rallys in Ukraine during the coldest winter in 100 years.  extreme subzero temps, ice, dirt, snow, bumping around on some of the worst roads i've ever seen.  always worked perfectly.  all this from a mixer that i don't think was ever intended to leave the postproduction studio.

i think it's significant that this little desk is STILL selling well essentially unchanged [except a new paint job :) ] almost a decade after it was introduced.  Yamaha definitely got this one right.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.