ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Oldest Piece of Equipment Still in Service?  (Read 48285 times)

Edgar Hernandez

• It’s all about the experience...
Re: Oldest Piece of Equipment Still in Service?
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 08:17:31 PM »

What is the record here for the oldest piece of equipment still earning money for you?  Not counting mics and cables, for me it is my A&H GL-2 bought in 1995 and my Carver PM900 bought in 1993.  The GL-2 has been seviced once to re-solder loose connections and the Carver has never seen service.  Both are still going strong and earning me money on smaller jobs and are still as good or better than many new products. I thought it might be interesting to see what is the oldest piece of equipment being used by some of you?

A solid Yamaha P2200, I don’t think I will ever die, its built like a tank.

Travis_Valois

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »

A few more that I acquired last year:

Yamaha MC2404II mixer
8x unloaded Martin 115 bins
2x JBL SR 4731X cabs

Not functional atm, but various amps such as BGW250 & 750, 2x Crown PSA2, 2x Crown D150a, Yamaha P2200, Peavey 1.2K, 2x EV 7600

Pair of large format Altec Lansing Mantaray horns and pair of large format Altec Lansing  2x5 Multicell horns, all with HF drivers, that we had decommissioned from the old arena here

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2014, 02:17:31 AM »

I just sold my oldest electronic gear. A Crown DC300A. Might be 50 years old.

I was picking on an intern recently (ok, last summer - recent in my book) about treatment of cables... I pointed out to him that the XLR cable he was coiling was made by me in 1967 :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2014, 02:38:27 AM »

Oldest piece of gear still working? Either my 1949 Craftsman sabre saw, or my wife.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2014, 02:55:58 AM »

Thanks Bob, I forgot the Craftsman drill press my grandfather had and I now do (though not strictly part of my sound gear).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »

The OP was asking about equipment still used to make you money. There are already several posts here about stuff that probably falls more into the "hobby" category; the following certainly falls there.

At my brother's place (where I grew up) there are a few hand-crank telephones: two oak wall phones, a bakelite wall phone, and a bakelite desk phone. My dad rescued these in the mid 60's when the phone company he worked for in ND converted to rotary dial. I have no idea how old they are. In the 90s, I refurbed them and connected them up between the house and shop and sauna as an intercom. They still work. The crank powers the ringer, and an internal battery powers the voice circuit on each phone. The bakelite phones get by on 1.5V (D cell), but one of the oak wall phones requires 12V. The other oak wall phone has the guts from a "newer" bakelite phone so only requires 1.5V.

The battery is only required for the "source" telephone. That is, if the battery in "your" phone is dead, you can hear the other person talk but they can't hear you.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »

The OP was asking about equipment still used to make you money. There are already several posts here about stuff that probably falls more into the "hobby" category; the following certainly falls there.

At my brother's place (where I grew up) there are a few hand-crank telephones: two oak wall phones, a bakelite wall phone, and a bakelite desk phone. My dad rescued these in the mid 60's when the phone company he worked for in ND converted to rotary dial.
Jonathan,

Your post made me remember my intercom between FOH and stage uses handsets from 1970's era phones. The original carbon microphones have been replaced with another pair of ear speakers, which work OK as dynamic microphones. I use a 1990's era Radio Shack "mini amp" as the driver, they get louder than Clear Com units, and with a push to talk switch cut through stage noise surprisingly well.

Also still use a Rauland amp with a repair date of 1953 and a Nordmende Isabella stereo receiver (circa 1961) reworked as a guitar amp for studio sessions.

Many of the speaker cabinets I sell were built using inherited tools, some dating back to the 1930s.

'56 Welter

lionel rodrigues

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2014, 02:22:57 PM »

1979 peavey XR1200, not much to look at, had the amp section removed a while back, still works fine, used for band practise and sos ..

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »

BGW 750  8)

It is, at the very least, ten years older than me.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2014, 06:52:21 PM »

Everything is 2 years older then when this thread started. 

Anyone want to guess the vintage on this? Been running 7-24 for me except for moving and power failures for about 20 years, and ran continuous duty before I got it. No failures or problems of any sort.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2014, 06:52:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.