ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trusted Chinese suppliers  (Read 5188 times)

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
Trusted Chinese suppliers
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »

Yes, I know the thread title will be laughed at but surely there is a supplier in the East that is great to deal with and makes nice, reliable LED par cans which do everything they claim, using parts as specified.
I have tried to match the cases of some par cans I have now which suit my needs perfectly. They have been OEM in China for a local brand. Unfortunately the local brand has priced themselves out of the market with ridiculous shipping charges so I have decided to let the greedy starve....
The lights I have are exactly the same as these here except for their brand. http://your-ignition.com/light-engineering-/LED-studio-par-/Studio-Par-PLATINUM-black-18-x-4W-LED-RGB-CW::23.html
If anybody knows who actually makes these or has used a supplier in China and been satisfied with their service please let me know.
The longer I look the more I realise I will probably need to buy something slightly different as I cant find anybody using these cases.

DanGlass

Re: Trusted Chinese suppliers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »

First off, I cant help you find a supplier for them.  It has been my experience that when you find an LED fixture that works, and fits your needs you should buy as many as you can.  About every 6 months (or less) the inexpensive fixtures get replaced with a new version and parts are scarce to get.  Event the "higher end" or name brand fixtures seem to have a pretty short shelf life so grab them while you can.  I looked around a tested quite a few LED Pars before deciding on one I liked and after buying about 40 of them they have been discontinued and abandoned by the manufacturer making parts unavailable.  I am finding small groups of them used here and there and I buy them when I can just to have for extras and parts.  I would reccomend that you purchase fixtures that have a similar body style so that when you find someone else who has copied the look it would be easier to add to your stock and once they are flown very few people will notice that they are not exactly the same.  On the other hand matching exact output performance and channel layout will prove to be slightly more challenging.

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »

Although many manufacturers do have some or all of their units produced in China, the differences between buying direct, and a large American company purchasing from China are.
1) Quality Control - Not only do most manufacturers in the states do their own tests when product arrives to them. They buy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, so the Chinese manufacturers make sure to pay a little extra attention during manufacturing and testing of the units purchased by the major American companies, they do not want to lose these big accounts. DJ's that order 2-10 lights direct do not get the same care from the big Chinese manufacturers, as they are only a tiny portion of sales, and normally are not return customers.
2) Quality varies between plants - There may be a dozen factories in China making a very similiar light to one another. The reputable American companies occassionally have reps visit the plants in China, to oversee things, and have a good idea of which Chinese manufacturing plants to purchase from, as they have seen first hand the manufacturing techniques, quality control, and R&D facilities of these manufacturing facilities.
3) Spec'd parts - When a Lighting Company makes a purchase of a specific light they contract to purchase a certain quantity. This gives them the power to dictate certain parts be used (ie gobo's in moving heads, power supplies, lens for optics, LCD display and controls, ect.) Say you order 6 moving heads from a Chinese plant, there is the possibility that they run out of a certain gobo, they will then just substitute a different gobo during manufacturing. So you may end up with 4 moving heads with one gobo as the third gobo, and the other 2 have a completely different gobo in that slot. As well as different power supplies, or control boards. I have seen a DJ once on djforums who ordered 4 moving heads and the front LCD panel only matched on 2 of the units. 1 had a blue display with buttons, 1 had a blue display with a knob, and 2 had red displays.
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:52 AM »

I can actually buy a few from a manufacturer over time. As well as production I do both installations and onsell products to smaller operations. I can possibly buy hundreds from a manufacturer in a year.
It seems the chinese are all using the same batch of parts, or at least the same batch of photos!!
I am tossing up between 2 suppliers now who both are good at returning emails and converse well in English. One is expensive and the other seems a little cheap. HMMMM

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »

I don't know if Oz has the equivalent of a UL safety regulations, but with products intended for the US market there will be a UL qualification of the design and the factory. This alone is not going to guarantee a high quality product but it is better than nothing. 

Boots on the ground are the best insurance, but completely impractical for onesy twosy buys.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »

Unfortunately the local brand has priced themselves out of the market with ridiculous shipping charges so I have decided to let the greedy starve....
How much is "priced themselves out of the market"?
cheers,
Randy Hyde

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »

How much is "priced themselves out of the market"?
cheers,
Randy Hyde
More than $400.00 for road freight for 6 lights.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.