ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Amps by Bob"  (Read 10991 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
"Amps by Bob"
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »

Somehow, I have been lucky enough to end up with 4 Fender amps Bob Leonard has "worked over"

I've had more amps in the past, but never has as many good sounding amps, as I do right now.

Clockwise from the top left:

1) 70's era Bandmaster Reverb - silver-face master volume head -
- Bob removed the master volume circuit and completely went through it - The pile of parts that came out was as big or bigger than the parts he kept!  Changed the faceplate out with a blackface Super Reverb faceplate

2) Vibrolux Custom - Rivera era circuit board amp
- completely re-worked by Bob - It is very close to a blackface Vibrolux now.
In stock shape, the Vibrolux Custom is a decent amp, but they broke up early, are pretty noisy, and the reverb is not very deep.  After Bob was done with it, it has next to no noise, lush reverb, and tons more headroom.   It just sounds great.

3) 66 Pro Reverb
- Bob reworked this back to stock - installed 2 Warehouse G12C speakers and basically gave me a great fender amp that will get louder clean than I'll ever need.  It is a pure tone machine - The only downsides are it's heavy and stupidly loud! - I can't gig with it because I have too much fun cranking it up to unpleasant volumes.  I had a Twin Reverb and it wasn't any louder and didn't sound 1/2 as good!  It doesn't look like much, but tonewise, it's golden.

4) Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (circuit board model)
- Bob mentioned he had one of these for sale so I bought it - I didn't need it, but I've always wanted a Deluxe and knew that I'd be an idiot if I passed on it.  It sounds great.  No noise to speak of, as clean as any Deluxe I've played, and it breaks up well when pushed.  I've heard old ones that don't sound near as good.  When I change the speaker, it may be better than what I've heard.

The only bad thing about owning these amps is now I am positive that it is me at fault, and not the equipment, when I don't sound as good as I want!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:00:38 PM by Steve Hurt »

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: "Amps by Bob"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »

Nice Collection!  8)

Hammer

ps...Bob does good work! :)
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »

The only bad thing about owning these amps is now I am positive that it is me at fault, and not the equipment, when I don't sound as good as I want!
That's a good metric to have, though…I wish more people recognized that.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »

Jeez Steve, thanks for the kind words. All of your amps have been a pleasure to work on, but my biggest pleasure has been working with you. My own Pro sounds just like yours, same circuit and same speakers. I A/B between my Pro for those smooth clean sounds and my own Deluxe for everything else. Thank you again for the kind words.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »

Jeez Steve, thanks for the kind words. All of your amps have been a pleasure to work on, but my biggest pleasure has been working with you. My own Pro sounds just like yours, same circuit and same speakers. I A/B between my Pro for those smooth clean sounds and my own Deluxe for everything else. Thank you again for the kind words.

I too can vouch Bob does amazing work - he rescued this poor '65 Showman (on the right) and turned it back into an AB763 beast. The man is a genius. I'm convinced he's on a mission to avenge the ghost of Leo Fender (and I mean that in the most glowing way possible).

The '65 Bandmaster 2x12 combo (no, there never was a 2x12 combo) was rescued by my local amp/guitar tech; soon it will get the upgrade of the Warehouse Speakers as well. It's sounding great, yet I know Bob has the ability to make it sound better.

Still on the prowl for either a Pro Reverb or a Tremolux head to add to the collection... Part of me thinks perhaps I should branch out, since I have 6L6 and 6V6 flavors, and I really have enjoyed my 5 watt Mini Z... but then I slap myself and look for mispriced/slightly modded Fender amps.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »

Nice Collection!  8)

Hammer

ps...Bob does good work! :)

Yes he do!

Here's the rest of the collection
(well.....almost all of them!)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »

There is one person whom I have overlooked who has always been a key factor in sound, restorations and rebuilds. This person has not only been my close and best friend for the past 48 years, but he has also been my second set of ears, hands and thoughts for all of this time as well. You can't buy a set of ears from the 60's and you can't voice these amps, or any sound system for that matter, without listening to someone else who has been there and done that.

Nothing get's the seal of approval without the OK from my best friend and side man Louie Giacobbi, the best ryhthm player on the planet as far as I am concerned.

Thanks Louie for all these years.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »

Somehow, I have been lucky enough to end up with 4 Fender amps Bob Leonard has "worked over"

I've had more amps in the past, but never has as many good sounding amps, as I do right now.

Clockwise from the top left:

1) 70's era Bandmaster Reverb - silver-face master volume head -
- Bob removed the master volume circuit and completely went through it - The pile of parts that came out was as big or bigger than the parts he kept!  Changed the faceplate out with a blackface Super Reverb faceplate

2) Vibrolux Custom - Rivera era circuit board amp
- completely re-worked by Bob - It is very close to a blackface Vibrolux now.
In stock shape, the Vibrolux Custom is a decent amp, but they broke up early, are pretty noisy, and the reverb is not very deep.  After Bob was done with it, it has next to no noise, lush reverb, and tons more headroom.   It just sounds great.

3) 66 Pro Reverb
- Bob reworked this back to stock - installed 2 Warehouse G12C speakers and basically gave me a great fender amp that will get louder clean than I'll ever need.  It is a pure tone machine - The only downsides are it's heavy and stupidly loud! - I can't gig with it because I have too much fun cranking it up to unpleasant volumes.  I had a Twin Reverb and it wasn't any louder and didn't sound 1/2 as good!  It doesn't look like much, but tonewise, it's golden.

4) Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (circuit board model)
- Bob mentioned he had one of these for sale so I bought it - I didn't need it, but I've always wanted a Deluxe and knew that I'd be an idiot if I passed on it.  It sounds great.  No noise to speak of, as clean as any Deluxe I've played, and it breaks up well when pushed.  I've heard old ones that don't sound near as good.  When I change the speaker, it may be better than what I've heard.

Rebuilding vintage electronics is a niche business that I just discovered an old friend is also involved in. If Bob is too busy, give a shout out to Vin-Tone. Tony Van Note is more interested in rebuilding and restoring old electronics and old trucks than spending his life on the road these days.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »

Mac,
Being that Fender tweed, black face and silver face amps are my passion I seldom turn them down when asked if I can do the job. However, there are other times when I am asked to work on something other than a Fender and would be happy to push the request off to Tony based on your recommendations. Thanks for the tip.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »

Not Bobs amps, but I saw a nice collection of amps last night.
In this pic, at least 7 Fenders , a Paul Reed Smith amp, and an amp in the middle I don't recognize

(Band was the Tedeschi Trucks band   -    Derek Trucks has jedi level guitar skills)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.