ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the popular systems?  (Read 11675 times)

Josh Billings

Re: What are the popular systems?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »

First a DJM-1000 is not a comparable replacement for a DJM-900/800.

If you want to future proof yourself, get CDJ-2000s (2-4) and a DJM-900 + a cheap router and ethernet cables.

Don't waste your money on the DJM-700 / 850 / etc. Either DJM-900 (new standard) / DJM-800 (old standard).

I RARELY see people ask for CDJ-1000s anymore, and the CDJ-2000s are ALWAYS acceptable if they want 1ks. For the USB dj (like myself) the 2,000s are a necessity

Josh Billings

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »

Been away from here a while...

So, the gig goes fine.
He brings a MacBook Pro, a touchpad and a NI Traktor Control.

I give him a pair of texas headphones - QSC K12s at head height about 5' to either side of him.

I give him the "stay out of the red" lecture and point out that this is a high school gig and they are not old enough to decide to go deaf. They can choose that after they are 18.

Then I have him bring up some tunes and invite him out front to listen (I had 6 JTR Growlers in a cardioid array on a PL6.0) and he and his "guy" dropped jaws when they heard it :-)

Had a good night after that.

Thanks for the education. I will be back I am sure.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 09:25:14 AM »

Hi Rob,

Start at about 3:37 for discussion of controller software and players.

-Wigs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIC6NgFeDW8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Dan Tartol

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »

Just to reiterate what everyone else said, The pioneer CDJ-2000 decks and DJM-900 will be the new standard. Most touring DJs that use serato will bring their own box, but it doesn't hurt to have an extra one just in case.

I personally use CDJs with a Rane TTM57SL, but when I do out of town gigs I bring my own TTM because I never know if the gig will be able to rent one (and what shape its in). Its not a big deal for me to bring one road case with a 10" mixer.
My profession is DJing, my passion is making it SOUND good.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 02:07:07 AM »

Most touring DJs that use serato will bring their own box, but it doesn't hurt to have an extra one just in case.

Touring 'club' DJ's may bring Serato.  A real touring DJ will expect it to be waiting for them when they arrive as per their rider.  If it's not there, the TM will lose his (or her) shit, and you'll look like an ass, even if they have it in their bag (or hotel room, etc.)

FYI - have extra CD's and records on hand, provide a professional service and charge accordingly.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »

hey

yeah I'd agree with a lot of the above. Pioneer are like the apple of the DJ world. Aggressive marketing and the promotion of the idea that more expensive = better has meant that the have become the de-facto standard for the rather easily lead and dim DJ fraternity, even though in many cases there are far better products. 

(LOL i'm also a DJ as well as sound engineer so my ribbing is good natured and not intended to cause offence!  :))

For a long time the standard setup was CDJ1000's and DJM-800 mixer.

CD's:  The CDJ's are solid work horses, although almost all DJ's actually use about 10% of the functions and would be fine with a CDJ-100 or 200 but they demanded a 1000 anyway! Now that things have moved on, the 900 and the 2000 are the newest models so again, while most CD playing DJ's will use a fraction of the features they demand the top models because they can. Dennon is really the only other brand of note you may get asked for.

Mixer: Pioneer mixers sound pants, especially so when clipped and as most DJ's seem to think that making the metres light up like a christmas tree is part of the job, this happens a lot. But again you need to supply them with what they ask and pioneer mixers are in vogue. Things have moved on and now the 900 is the new model and hence standard.  You may also get asked for an Alan & Heath Zone as people have said (or possibly Rane, Ecler or Formula Sound but much more popular/well known in Europe).

Laptops However the addition of laptops has brought back the vinyl player from almost retirement. Serato caught hold in the US quickly because it was initially geared for vinyl control and scratching, and uses a fairly standard setup of turntables which will almost be technics, and a Rane mixer with built in sound card, plus some CDJ's as backup in case the laptop dies or for in between act music. Vestax mixers are also popular and again, from a technical viewpoint better than Technics,  but 1200s/1210s have the recognition and brand name.

However Traktor (the other big, professional software) is catching on because although it was originally more designed for electronic/dance music and beat matching (and so much more popular in the UK/Europe than Serato) it introduced vinyl control as well and the system they use is, on a technical level, a better, more responsive system. People like q-bert are pushing the adoption across the US in ever more numbers. If they use it in a serato-like fashion with the vinyl control then it'll be pretty much the same, two technics record players, mixer and CDJ's as back up (though the DJ will probably bring his own sound card there's a much wider variety available for Traktor).

However Traktor's original advantage was customisability and midi-controllability and there is a subset of these DJ's called controllerists. Rather than use traditional vinyl or CDJ players they use midi controller(s) that are custom mapped with all their own layout/controls/set up. However the good news here is because of the very personal nature of the set up they will almost always bring their own gear and all you need to supply is the audio input to your system and maybe an analogue mixer at most (plus always good to have good old dependable CDJ's as backup!  :D) .

k

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:19:47 PM by Kevin McDonough »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.