okay thanks for the explanations. i'm still trying to understand all this so I'll take a couple of reads before I ask any technical questions.
On the other hand, I have couple of other questions.
1) I definitely feel obligated to inform the reception hall. Our liaison came in when she saw all the smoke and asked if everything was okay. She didn't seem to think it was serious since nobody spoke to me afterwards. If I'm the first to get this problem, I won't be the last. How should I go about this? I have a feeling it might just get brushed by.
2) I didn't get to test my gear yet (the EQ which the heated cable was connected to). Is there any damage I should inspect? My snake seemed to work fine, but would the heat cause any damage (other channels, the box, etc.)
3) So seeing that the channel with the EQ was the only one frying, it was probably the outlet the rack was connected to? If that's the case, how come none of the other stuff connected heated? the mixer and rack was connected to same outlet
4) the rack has a power conditioner. guess that doesnt help in this situation does it?
5) what exactly do I need to test? seem's like people are posting different things.
i'm really glad nothing serious happened but it was sure one the scariest moments of my life.