ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type of electrical wire for rack interior  (Read 76 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Type of electrical wire for rack interior
« on: Yesterday at 04:59:20 pm »

Hi All,

Quick question - if I'm wiring the interior of a rack and need to go from PowerCon to a quad-box, what would be the appropriate type of wire to use here?  The PowerCon itself coming in/out from the patch panel is enclosed as it should be, but I'd like to run from that to an interior quad-box to power the rack's equipment.  In the past I've just used 12/3 SOOW simply because I had it laying around and there was enough space in the rack for it, but on my latest project the SOOW is too stiff to get where I need it and I can't imagine that such heavy use cord would be required here by code.  Would the type of wire I see on heavy-duty IEC cords be acceptable here, and if so, what is it?

Thanks! 
-Jeff

Robert Healey

Re: Type of electrical wire for rack interior
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:30:13 pm »

Hi All,

Quick question - if I'm wiring the interior of a rack and need to go from PowerCon to a quad-box, what would be the appropriate type of wire to use here?  The PowerCon itself coming in/out from the patch panel is enclosed as it should be, but I'd like to run from that to an interior quad-box to power the rack's equipment.  In the past I've just used 12/3 SOOW simply because I had it laying around and there was enough space in the rack for it, but on my latest project the SOOW is too stiff to get where I need it and I can't imagine that such heavy use cord would be required here by code.  Would the type of wire I see on heavy-duty IEC cords be acceptable here, and if so, what is it?

Thanks! 
-Jeff

Jeff,

Not a cable solution, but if you need something with a NRTL listing, this seems to be doing what you want and has an ETL listing:

http://www.lexproducts.com/products/entertainment/powerrack-rolling-distribution-racks/enclosed-rack-mount-power-distribution/1ru-rack-mount-power-distribution-powercon-in-to-edisons

It is quite pricey compared to a quad box but has the listing...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 22 queries.