ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xilica 4080, Sabine 360, Sabine 4802 differences  (Read 5371 times)

Mark McFarlane

Xilica 4080, Sabine 360, Sabine 4802 differences
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »

I'm struggling to decide what to use as a crossover, limiter,... between my new RCF TT25A tops and 905AS subs run from an 01V96.  I've narrowed it down to three choices (please don't add any more choices, thanks).  Budget is as close to US$1,000 as possible.

All the units have roughly the same feature, except:

I only need 3 in and 5 out (2 extras for occasional delays), so all 3 candidates meet this requirement.  A 4th input I'm sure will come in handy for some unforeseen activity at some venue.

Delays on the NAV360 are limited to 80ms, kind of sucks, but I only need >80ms of delay maybe twice a year and I have a DEQ2496 I could use, or even use my 01V96's delays on outputs.

The Xilica 4080 and NAV4802 both have Ethernet, which is desirable as I collect more IP gear (Sennheiser G3's, Laptop, iPad,...)

Sabines have FBX which I probably won't use, but it might be nice to set 1 or 2 floating filters on the mains for the occasional show when the singer walks in right front of the mains (like they did last week, even when I gave them a 12' cable). Wireless mics (which I just added to the system) are going to open up a new can of worms for me...

The Sabine remote software is MUCH better than the Xilica software.  I give the Xilica software a D and the Sabine a B+.  However, my intended use probably won't involve using the software very much during a show, so the impact of the crappy Xilica software is somewhat mitigated.

THe Xilica adds GEQs to the PEQs on each input. probably not a big deal.

The Xilica adds two all pass filters on each output, which (in my ignorance) I think might be helpful in getting the phase right on the crossover.

THe Xilica 4080 and Sabine 4802 are 96K, the Sabine Nav360 is 48K.

The NAV360 and Xilica 4080 are essentially the same price, 1K, the Sabine 4802 is 'hard to find' onine, but appears to be around 50% more.

Serviceability is basically a non-issue. I'll have to ship either unit half way around the globe for servicing and will be 'without' for a few months. Support is also not that big an issue, I'm sure I can struggle through things by email, phone, and using the great support at PSW.

----

Anyone heard these side by side?  Any other observations to help me with this decision?

If the 96K/48K and all pass filter features are non-issues, I'll probably go with a Sabine NAV360.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:26:04 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Xilica 4080, Sabine 360, Sabine 4802 differences
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:58:46 AM »

I'm struggling to decide what to use as a crossover, limiter,... between my new RCF TT25A tops and 905AS subs run from an 01V96.  I've narrowed it down to three choices (please don't add any more choices, thanks).  Budget is as close to US$1,000 as possible.

All the units have roughly the same feature, except:

I only need 3 in and 5 out (2 extras for occasional delays), so all 3 candidates meet this requirement.  A 4th input I'm sure will come in handy for some unforeseen activity at some venue.

Delays on the NAV360 are limited to 80ms, kind of sucks, but I only need >80ms of delay maybe twice a year and I have a DEQ2496 I could use, or even use my 01V96's delays on outputs.

The Xilica 4080 and NAV4802 both have Ethernet, which is desirable as I collect more IP gear (Sennheiser G3's, Laptop, iPad,...)

Sabines have FBX which I probably won't use, but it might be nice to set 1 or 2 floating filters on the mains for the occasional show when the singer walks in right front of the mains (like they did last week, even when I gave them a 12' cable). Wireless mics (which I just added to the system) are going to open up a new can of worms for me...

The Sabine remote software is MUCH better than the Xilica software.  I give the Xilica software a D and the Sabine a B+.  However, my intended use probably won't involve using the software very much during a show, so the impact of the crappy Xilica software is somewhat mitigated.

THe Xilica adds GEQs to the PEQs on each input. probably not a big deal.

The Xilica adds two all pass filters on each output, which (in my ignorance) I think might be helpful in getting the phase right on the crossover.

THe Xilica 4080 and Sabine 4802 are 96K, the Sabine Nav360 is 48K.

The NAV360 and Xilica 4080 are essentially the same price, 1K, the Sabine 4802 is 'hard to find' onine, but appears to be around 50% more.

Serviceability is basically a non-issue. I'll have to ship either unit half way around the globe for servicing and will be 'without' for a few months. Support is also not that big an issue, I'm sure I can struggle through things by email, phone, and using the great support at PSW.

----

Anyone heard these side by side?  Any other observations to help me with this decision?

If the 96K/48K and all pass filter features are non-issues, I'll probably go with a Sabine NAV360.

Thanks,

My final choices came down to the Ashly and the Sabine, I ended up with the Sabine 4800, mostly based on preferring the software. While I rarely end up using all four inputs, I often with front fills and delays end up using all 8 outputs.

The floating FBX filters are nice because they will grab that whoops frequency, but it is also easy to reset them back to zero after whoever on stage stops doing what they are doing.
Jay Barracato

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »

I've depended on the Xilica XP4080m for several years. Mine has the optional mic preamps.
While I use those regularly, I had hoped to also use it as a standalone laptop-controlled mixer.
That's not happening. I love the hardware. The control software is exasperating.

When you drag a filter left and right on the screen, it doesn't update the hardware until you let go. You can't listen to it sweep.
The channel linking process is painfully tedious, and is global, not saved with presets. There's no overview of what's linked.
The control program screen updates slower and slower as you add more filters. Restarting the app restores the screen update speed.
It doesn't tell you when you run out of CPU. It will let you keep right on adding filters, it just won't implement them.

Their online tech support is pretty much non-responsive.

I use it anyway, because it's well built, sounds fine, and has single Hz(!) frequency control of .02 octave Q72(!) filters.
It's unbeatable as an overhead chorus mic preprocessor, and totally functional as a system controller.
It's very versatile. The limiters are transparent. I don't hear them working.
If you were to put it into a system and just do that one thing with it, it'd be fine.

As I said, it's great hardware. I just wish they'd hire an control programmer.

The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.