ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Unjustified preconceived notions  (Read 10655 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Unjustified preconceived notions
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:00:14 PM »

Stu,
You unknowingly dised Peavey with your first sentence. Peavey's old gear was every bit as good as any on the market at the time with few exceptions. The problem as pointed out was that at the price point Peavey was selling at many people who were very poorly educated in the world of sound were able to put thier hands on hardware that would have been just fine sounding otherwise and should have sold for more than the street price at the time. The misconception held water and again as John say's, Hartley didn't do enought to change peoples minds, a problem that exists to this day. What Hartley need's is a pro division and a better looking logo.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »

What Hartley need's is a pro division and a better looking logo.

This whole thing is like an ink blot test revealing different things about people's personal experience and perspective.

Funny you mention the logo...  Hartley designed that on his HS notebook cover and apparently he really likes it.  :-X I managed to get a more modern looking block logo on most of the products I was managing, but I've been outside the walls for over a decade so the lightning bolt logo is very much back.

Peavey already had the technology chops to rebrand itself upscale with media matrix DSP, etc (like Sony's Trinitron picture tube), but instead of using that high tech imagery to reposition upscale, product features like a digital feedback suppressor were named after a rodent (feedback ferret, etc)... i couldn't make this stuff up, you do stuff like that, you get what you get, that's how brand management works.

No regrets, I learned a lot... it's just business... somebody else's problem these days.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 01:24:31 AM »

product features like a digital feedback suppressor were named after a rodent (feedback ferret, etc)...

JR

I'm holding out for the Proximity Possum.  Marty???   ::)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 07:09:46 AM »

I'm holding out for the Proximity Possum.  Marty???   ::)

Gator gate ?
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »

I believe Earth branded items were actually Peavey knock-offs manufactured in Farmingdale NY. The history is vague, but they may also have been somehow aligned with the padded Plush brand..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:04:03 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »

Maybe the thread title should have been "Preconceived Notions about Peavey".  I've thought about this phenomenon from time to time too.  I haven't owned a lot of Peavey stuff over the years, but it all worked pretty much as advertised (except the Deca amps,  >:( ), and some of it approached brilliance (those MB-1 mids were killer in the right application).

Funny you mention the logo...  Hartley designed that on his HS notebook cover and apparently he really likes it.  :-X I managed to get a more modern looking block logo on most of the products I was managing, but I've been outside the walls for over a decade so the lightning bolt logo is very much back.

A friend of mine who spent the better part of a decade selling Peavey and other gear for a living, made the observation once that nothing from Yamaha made it to market before the design department had their way with it.  Peavey, by comparison, put out equipment that may have been just as advanced electronically, but didn't look nearly as sexy.

Maybe it didn't matter. Apparently, Peavey has been very successful in their chosen market, and the company is profitable. I also have good memories of a Marty McCann sound reinforcement seminar I attended years ago.  Like the products, it was full of good, no-BS information, and I learned stuff that I still use today.

GTD

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:45 AM »

Maybe the thread title should have been "Preconceived Notions about Peavey".
We could talk about Behringer.

But in the case of Behrigner, I actually purchased products and used them and formed my opinion based on my actual use, and by that time I actually had a clue as to what I was doing with them.

Sure, they (usually) work fine when new. They may not have quite the sonic clarity some equipment has, but they do the job. For a while. Then they die. When you need *that function* most.

I think I'm allergic to Behringer.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

. What Hartley need's is a pro division and a better looking logo.
Personally I don't think Harley "needs" anything.  They probably sell enough product.

Even if they had a real "pro" division (I am sure they have the chops to do so), it would take a LONG time (if ever) to get over the "stigma" that is attached to them.

Is it worth it? probably not.  Peavey fits a need and does it well.

Just like auto manufacturers-sure some brands could build a faster-beter performing car-but why?  To sell to a more limited market?

Let's say that tomorrow Peavey had a complete pro line that would compete with anything out there.  Would you buy it?

I am sure it is a business decision.  And the people that make fun of Peavey for not having a "pro line" would not buy it anyway.  And the average Peavey customer would not buy it-because the cheaper/standard Peavey gear works fine for their needs.

Just something to think about
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »

The stereotypes about Behringer product are probably as unfounded as stereotypes about Peavey product (which I won't repeat for obvious reasons). I have actually been inside a contract manufacturer in mainland china who was making behriger product at the time (this was before behringer city) and they were an ISO-9000 facility. They didn't let me on the actual floor where the behringer product was made, but I doubt any major difference between factory floors.

If any manufacturer suffered the failure rate reported anecdotally for behringer products on some of these forums, they would have gone out of business long ago. Yes the product is cheap designed for "Limbo dance"  (how low can you go) price points, so you get what you pay for.

i enjoy bashing them as much as anybody, but for different reasons. Making cheap product is apparently giving a lot of customers exactly what they want.

JR

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »

Let's say that tomorrow Peavey had a complete pro line that would compete with anything out there.  Would you buy it?

+1.. for an example from the speaker world that Ivan should appreciate, Peavey has made numerous attempts at more professional speakers, and generally found a mismatch with distribution and customer price expectations (that brand perception again).

A perhaps not well appreciated factor, when loudspeakers are engineered to be arrayed together, the individual driver tolerance for sensitivity, response, etc. becomes more critical and apparent when used in an array, than for a single cabinet operating alone. So very similar looking components can cost a lot more.

I recall a very painful session with some long time Peavey dealers trying to explain why some big dog speaker offering cost as much as it did, despite Peavey's same sharp pencil manufacturing. They had preconceived notions of what the finished speakers should cost, that didn't even cover Peavey's costs... They thought Peavey was overcharging them. 

Many manufacturers would love to have a large share of the much bigger low end market, but it's not as easy or trivial as some assume.

JR

PS: this was years ago, so maybe driver manufacturing has tightened up since then.. I am not really a speaker guy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.