ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Generator Suggestions?  (Read 5371 times)

Daniel Mock

Portable Generator Suggestions?
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:07:25 AM »

I do a lotta desert gigs and I usually rent a Honda EU 6500 from my buddy for only $250. Problem is he's selling it. So I'm gonna have to rent generators from elsewear or buy one.

Any recommendations on good generators to rent?
Last time I was in the desert my rig didn't exceed 1600w, so I think I would be fine with a 4000w generator.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Portable Generator Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »

I do a lotta desert gigs and I usually rent a Honda EU 6500 from my buddy for only $250. Problem is he's selling it. So I'm gonna have to rent generators from elsewear or buy one.

Any recommendations on good generators to rent?
Last time I was in the desert my rig didn't exceed 1600w, so I think I would be fine with a 4000w generator.

Buy it from him.  Or find another one like it.  You can't beat the Hondas in that size.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

+1. Buy it from him. I love my Honda.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »

Check out the entire line of Honda's EU line. I believe they make a 2000watt, which I have had great success with as well as a 3000/3500 watt version.

Tomm Williams

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »

I 've heard from more than a few folks that Honda's are about the only gas genny that's voltage regulators are reliable enough for audio gear.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 06:31:59 PM »

I am no expert but something I was told one needs to consider is something about the sine wave or the cycles. Older generators can mess with newer electronics or something like that. I did not undwerstand it but I can tell you Honda makes an EU3000i I think. It's bucks but man talk about whisper quiet...

John Lackner

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »

An important question - does the genny put out a TRUE sine wave or a MODIFIED sine wave. A genny with a true sine wave is the only choice for audio. do your research before buynig. Or renting
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »

An important question - does the genny put out a TRUE sine wave or a MODIFIED sine wave. A genny with a true sine wave is the only choice for audio. do your research before buynig. Or renting

While I agree, I'd like to know why.

All of the audio devices that I know about use a either a transformer and linear power supply, or a switch mode power supply. In each case the AC lines voltage is converted to a DC rail, or supply voltage suitable for the application.

A linear power supply passes the 60hz AC wave through an iron and copper x-former. This usually steps the voltage down, then the lower voltage is converted to pulsed DC and sent into a capacitor bank that acts essentially as a massive low pass filter. The ripple left after this can be smoothed further depending on need. This DC (essentially, the ripple should be very low in frequency at this point) voltage is then changed into various voltages for the circuits.

A switch mode power supply converts the incoming AC into DC, then into a very high frequency wave, that is passed through a (much smaller) iron and copper x-former, converted to pulsed DC, then passed into a capacitor bank, another low pass filter, then converted to the required DC supplies necessary for the device.

In both of these cases I cannot see how a stepped AC voltage is any different than a pure sine wave. While the stepped voltage will have more noise, that should be filtered, the duty cycle at each voltage step should be similar enough (to a sine wave) to only loose a small amount of efficiency in the x-former.

Admittedly I know way more about linear supplies, but I just cant figure why audio devices would see a difference if the AC is a step function or a continuous one.

Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

John Lackner

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »

You will hear the difference right away, in the form of noise. Lots of buzzes.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »

You will hear the difference right away, in the form of noise. Lots of buzzes.

Just buy the Honda Ei series and don't worry.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.