ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Jersey Boys" console failure?  (Read 10079 times)

John Chiara

"Jersey Boys" console failure?
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

Last week at Proctor's Theater in Scenectady, NY the Jersey Boys show was shut down with 2400 in the audience when a "technical issue" went unresolved. Anyone know what console they were carrying?

Jeff Bankston

Re: "Jersey Boys" console failure?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:40:59 PM »

i wonder why they didnt have some kind of backup.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:51:55 PM »

i wonder why they didnt have some kind of backup.

How much more do you want the tickets to cost? The only possible BU would be a duplicate console, since anything different couldn't have all the correct programming in it. Having the BU online means a splitter and losing more seat to drive ticket prices up more, having it offline means carrying it out to the mix position and repatching upwards of 100 inputs while climbing over patrons to do it.

Not that practical in my opinion.

Console failures are pretty rare.

I haven't heard what caused the show to stop.

Mac

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »

How much more do you want the tickets to cost? The only possible BU would be a duplicate console, since anything different couldn't have all the correct programming in it. Having the BU online means a splitter and losing more seat to drive ticket prices up more, having it offline means carrying it out to the mix position and repatching upwards of 100 inputs while climbing over patrons to do it.

Not that practical in my opinion.

Console failures are pretty rare.

I haven't heard what caused the show to stop.

Mac

+1 
  Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »

Last week at Proctor's Theater in Scenectady, NY the Jersey Boys show was shut down with 2400 in the audience when a "technical issue" went unresolved. Anyone know what console they were carrying?

"The “Jersey Boys” sound crew had been having intermittent problems with their equipment, to the point where they’d installed their backup during intermission the night before. A representative from the manufacturer was already flying in from the United Kingdom to troubleshoot.

But he wasn’t there yet. The show had to go on — and they didn’t have any backups left. Fifteen minutes after the show was supposed to start, they told Proctors they wouldn’t be able to fix the sound in time."

http://theatrehistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/proctors-schenectady-ny-averts-disaster/

This narrows down the potential culprits a bit.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »

"The “Jersey Boys” sound crew had been having intermittent problems with their equipment, to the point where they’d installed their backup during intermission the night before. A representative from the manufacturer was already flying in from the United Kingdom to troubleshoot.

But he wasn’t there yet. The show had to go on — and they didn’t have any backups left. Fifteen minutes after the show was supposed to start, they told Proctors they wouldn’t be able to fix the sound in time."

http://theatrehistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/proctors-schenectady-ny-averts-disaster/

This narrows down the potential culprits a bit.

"the problem turned out to be a multi-pin cable that was intermittently shorting out."

from the linked article
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »

Groovy, We've got Jersey Boys in for three weeks this June. Aren't they running a pair of Cadac J-Types?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:45:43 PM »

Aren't they running a pair of Cadac J-Types?
God bless 'em...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:14 AM »

Groovy, We've got Jersey Boys in for three weeks this June. Aren't they running a pair of Cadac J-Types?

IIRC, the Wicked tour had a similar console issue, but a much more novel and pragmatic approach. Beat it like a readheaded stepchild until it works again!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »

IIRC, the Wicked tour had a similar console issue, but a much more novel and pragmatic approach. Beat it like a readheaded stepchild until it works again!

There are 2 companies of Wicked! on tour; the 2nd National is out with fibre signal distribution.  They played our PAC for 3 weeks in 2010 and developed a signal routing problem with the optical feed to the pit that took some creative work-arounds at a performance and a couple of hours to trouble shoot the next morning.  It turned out to be a zip tie pinch in a fibre at the distribution rack.. but it was tight from the shop build.  In normal maintenance, one of the tour audio techs discovered it and replaced the zip tie.  The resulting "spring back" caused the fibre to work intermittently (physical LF modulation).  The patch fibre was replaced and all was good again.

I haven't talked to Fodder or Tony since they were here, so I don't know if the "bigger hammer" fix was their show or the 1st National.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:12:06 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »

My wife, who knows nothing about sound, has learned one thing over the last 25 years.... always check the cables FIRST!
Scott Hofmann

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »

My wife, who knows nothing about sound, has learned one thing over the last 25 years.... always check the cables FIRST!

Please have her call my wife.

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »

Still running the J-types on Broadway but the current tour(Second National) is running SD7s and I believe an singular SD8.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »

There is DiGiCo USA support and consoles within a few hours of this incident. Cannot imagine consoles were Digi.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »

Still running the J-types on Broadway but the current tour(Second National) is running SD7s and I believe an singular SD8.

How authoritative is this information? The Last that I read, a couple of years ago now, The Jersey Boys touring rig was being put together with Cadac J-Types.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Andy_Leviss

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 04:06:17 PM »

How authoritative is this information? The Last that I read, a couple of years ago now, The Jersey Boys touring rig was being put together with Cadac J-Types.

There are two tours, a Broadway, and Vegas production. Broadway and the first national are on Cadac. Vegas was on a Cadac, but just moved to a new hotel (Paris) and moved to a new system with SDs. The 2nd National, officially the "4th" tour, is, as Cameron said, on SD7s and SD8s.

One of the UK engineers was indeed over visiting various shops and shows to make sure everybody was up and running, answer questions, and provide some support, training, service, etc.

In that particular case, there were a series of small failures, none of which on their own were catastrophic, but which together put the console into a reset loop. I can't speak here as to specifics of what, where, who, etc. for obvious reasons.

--Andy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:14:59 PM by Andy Leviss »
Andy Leviss
Broadway/Concert/Corporate/Broadcast Sound Engineer
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrian, AVIXA CTS
IATSE Local 1, USA829

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 07:22:16 PM »

There are two tours, a Broadway, and Vegas production. Broadway and the first national are on Cadac. Vegas was on a Cadac, but just moved to a new hotel (Paris) and moved to a new system with SDs. The 2nd National, officially the "4th" tour, is, as Cameron said, on SD7s and SD8s.

One of the UK engineers was indeed over visiting various shops and shows to make sure everybody was up and running, answer questions, and provide some support, training, service, etc.

In that particular case, there were a series of small failures, none of which on their own were catastrophic, but which together put the console into a reset loop. I can't speak here as to specifics of what, where, who, etc. for obvious reasons.

--Andy
Any body know who"s mixing them in Jax; Fl?

Andy_Leviss

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »

Any body know who"s mixing them in Jax; Fl?

That's Tour 1, which I believe is currently Matt McShane as head, and Demetrius Grandel is the A2. Jason DeJardin is the head on the tour currently in Schenectedy, with Sean Luckey as the A2.

--A
Andy Leviss
Broadway/Concert/Corporate/Broadcast Sound Engineer
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrian, AVIXA CTS
IATSE Local 1, USA829

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.