ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: generators...again.  (Read 13164 times)

James A. Griffin

Re: generators...again.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »

I use Coleman generators all the time..........for power tools.  No way am I plugging sound gear into a GP construction generator.

Of course, in an emergency, we'll do what we have to do and hope to get away with it.   I live in a house built in 1926 in a beautiful old fashioned neighborhood with lots of old fashioned trees.  When Katrina knocked down a dozen or so of those trees in a 2 block radius of my house, most of them fell on power lines.    Knowing I'd not have power any time soon, I hurried down to HD for a Generac 8750.   It managed to run my whole house (sans Centreal AC), including computers & powered monitor speakers just fine for 10 days.   Got lucky.

I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 12:54:31 PM »

Good move.  The Coleman probably has enough capacity, but the issue with these small portables is voltage regulation.
And often, short run times - between coffee and meal breaks.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tomm Williams

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »

Good move.  The Coleman probably has enough capacity, but the issue with these small portables is voltage regulation.

In talks with a near-by major sound provider, he echos this also. Seems like the only gas genny he recommends for voltage issues is the Honda line. I once hooked a Furman AR-15II (?) to my genny as a safety precaution. Once fired up, the lights on the Furman were going absolutely wild showing the poor regulation built into the genny. The Furman actually shut down and had to be reset. I'd hate to think what would have happened to my stuff if I'd hooked up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.