ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there hope for JBL SRXs after all ?  (Read 4418 times)

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: Is there hope for JBL SRXs after all ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:23:08 PM »

http://www.metal-pages.com/metals/neodymium/metal-prices-news-information/
Full article requires registration; wanna give us a synopsis, or were we supposed to go off the headline?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »

I don't get it. Is there hope? Yes, I hope to add four more 725s, 4 712s and a pair of 728s to my system this year.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:16:51 AM »

I don't get it. Is there hope? Yes, I hope to add four more 725s, 4 712s and a pair of 728s to my system this year.

Unfortunately, those new 728s cabs might not be the same as the old ones. Probably using Ferrite motors rather than neodymium. Despite the price drop and availability of neodymium, I suspect JBL will stick with the plan and with the heavier, but more efficient, new systems I heard about.
If you plan on adding new 728s cabs and you want them to match your old ones, better buy those soon (or be willing to go on the used market; maybe the used cabinet prices will drop considerably if the 728s replacement is a whole lot better...)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Brian Wynn

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »

Well you better do it soon if you want to buy new.  Im a dealer and all I can say is STX

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »

Well you better do it soon if you want to buy new.  Im a dealer and all I can say is STX

I wonder why they choose not to run with SSX    ???  ;)

Oh, now I see why  :o :o

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:17:35 AM »

I have plenty of good  contacts and am well aware a change is in the works. I'm not too concerned about 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. They'll all play well together.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »

I have plenty of good  contacts and am well aware a change is in the works. I'm not too concerned about 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. They'll all play well together.
A 725 (100lbs) is about as much as I can handle singlehanded on to a table. Shudder to think what a mud magnet version will weigh.
M

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:44:08 PM »

Then what happens to the VRX? 'They're just going to dump it? yes there is a VTX line from JBL but thats a large scale line array system..

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »

I could make no headway with your link but I'm guessing it was something along the lines of this

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/05/clean-energy-apos-s-dirty-little-secret/7377/

and that the thread in general is going down the path of JBL returning to ceramic magnets for lower end product lines.  My admittedly limited understanding of the differences between ceramic and neoD make me think that it could be a " can't get there from here" proposition for a number of these products. The smaller size of a NeoD magnet allows things that can't be accomplished with the bulkier ceramic or even Alnico.  But since I can't really even be sure that this really is the topic of this somewhat oblique thread I could be totally, utterly and ignominiously wrong.  Wouldn't be the first Emily Letelier moment I've had.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.