ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9: Combining Pre- & Post-Fader on a Single Mix?  (Read 6602 times)

Nick Bair

LS9: Combining Pre- & Post-Fader on a Single Mix?
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »

Hey, Folks. I just got a Yamaha LS9-16 this past week and I am already thrilled with the purchase.

We have overflow seating outside of our auditorium. We feed a broadcast mix to that area. For the purpose of this broadcast mix, some of our input channels are better suited for pre-fader, such as the audience and organ microphones which we do not feed at all into the auditorium amplifier. The rest are better set to post-fader. I currently have two mixes set up--one pre-fader, one post-fader--which I am sending to a matrix, then out to the overflow amp.

My question is, can I configure each channel individually as pre- or post-fader in a single mix, or is using two mixes and a matrix the best way to do this? Thanks.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: LS9: Combining Pre- & Post-Fader on a Single Mix?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »

Hey, Folks. I just got a Yamaha LS9-16 this past week and I am already thrilled with the purchase.

We have overflow seating outside of our auditorium. We feed a broadcast mix to that area. For the purpose of this broadcast mix, some of our input channels are better suited for pre-fader, such as the audience and organ microphones which we do not feed at all into the auditorium amplifier. The rest are better set to post-fader. I currently have two mixes set up--one pre-fader, one post-fader--which I am sending to a matrix, then out to the overflow amp.

My question is, can I configure each channel individually as pre- or post-fader in a single mix, or is using two mixes and a matrix the best way to do this? Thanks.

In your case, it really doesn't matter whether the mixes are pre or post for the organ and audience mics, it just matters whether or not you also assign them to the mixes going to the PA. Having them post gives you quick access to them for level adjustments. As long as they are not also assigned to the PA you are fine.

Mac

Nick Bair

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:30:21 AM »

That is helpful, but I'd still like to know if it is possible to set each channel to pre or post individually. Has anybody done this?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54:46 AM »

That is helpful, but I'd still like to know if it is possible to set each channel to pre or post individually. Has anybody done this?

It appears so - LS9 manual pages 64 and 214 seem to suggest this, and other Yamaha mixers I have used have channel specific settings.  I don't have any time on an LS9 first hand.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »

That is helpful, but I'd still like to know if it is possible to set each channel to pre or post individually.
Of course.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Nick Bair

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »

Thanks, TJ, for doing my job and reading the manual. Not sure why I had such a hard time figuring this out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.