ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipad interface  (Read 5993 times)

Doug Hammel

ipad interface
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »

Hello all, normally over on the LAB forum but I have been asked for help for a video question. The pastors at our church would like to be able to use their ipads to do their sermons with (powerpoint, keynote and video). We currently use a Kramer VP728 switcher to drive our projectors and displays with. Is there a way to get the ipad into our Kramer thru a wireless connection so they can walk around without a tether? I know overall video concepts but this is new territory for me. What would you guys do.

Doug Hammel

Jordan Wolf

Re: ipad interface
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:38 AM »

...The pastors at our church would like to be able to use their ipads to do their sermons with (powerpoint, keynote and video). We currently use a Kramer VP728 switcher to drive our projectors and displays with. Is there a way to get the ipad into our Kramer thru a wireless connection so they can walk around without a tether? I know overall video concepts but this is new territory for me. What would you guys do.

Doug Hammel
Hey Doug,

First off, although I am not familiar with Keynote myself (I really want to be), I can say that it is heads-and-tails above the functionality of PowerPoint on both Mac and Windows systems.

That being said, there are a number of apps out there for the iPad, iPhone, etc. that use wi-fi to wirelessly tether the portable device to a host computer that the slideshow is running off of.  The portable device then acts solely as a remote control while all the graphics processing for the actual presentation is done on the host machine.  This leaves the portable device free to be manipulated for different views and functions without affecting the displayed slideshow (unless desired).  Note that some apps require a Windows-based PC on the host end, whereas others may be fine with Mac or Windows.

It sounds to me like your pastors want to run everything directly off of the iPad...I don't think that's such a good idea.  With graphic-intensive presentations and high quality/HD video(s), there's a lot of processing that needs to happen and portable devices may not be up to the task.  I'd stick with the host computer being remote controlled by the portable device in case something happens to the connection, whatever type it is.  You can always get by with, "Next slide!"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:53:54 AM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Collin Donohue

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:01:46 AM »

We actually just completed a series of corporate meetings where they wanted to do this.  We already had the iPad 2, and ended up buying an Apple TV 2 and an Airport Express Base Station.  We then set up a wireless network that was only for the iPad 2 and the Apple TV.  From there, we used AirPlay to fully mirror the iPad's display wirelessly to the Apple TV and hooked it into our switcher via an HDMI to DVI cable.  From the looks of that switcher, it has HDMI inputs, so signal shouldn't be an issue.

But there are a few things to consider...

- It NEEDS to be an Apple TV 2 and NEEDS to be an iPad 2.  Previous generations don't do video over AirPlay, just audio.

- Whatever WiFi base station you have/get, be sure it's 802.11n.  The faster the better.

- Video over AirPlay was acceptable, but not great.  The frame rate took a hit (was a little choppy here and there).  But text and pictures looked fine.

- If the videos are embedded in Keynote or any other app, you won't have an issue.  But if the videos are loaded onto the iPad through iTunes, it won't actually stream the screen's feed.  Instead, it will try to load the actual file to the Apple TV and cause a pretty significant delay in the presentation.

- Lastly, and most importantly.  You are putting your show in the hands of a wireless connection.  It's only inevitable that it WILL FAIL at some point.  If they are dead-set on doing this, I would really suggest having a wired connection standing by so that in the event of signal failure, they can plug the VGA adaptor into the iPad and just keep on rolling.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:27:22 AM »

+1 to Jordan's and Collin's comments.  I recently did something similar to what Collin noted and had pretty much the same experience.

Your VP-728 is HDCP compliant but I believe only in regards to the HDMI output and will not pass HDCP enabled content to the VGA output.  Because of Apple's aggressive approach to protecting their iTunes content, HDCP can sometimes become an issue for digital audio or video out of Apple devices.  For example, an apparently common issue with AppleTV is that it seemingly wants to see the connected device and make the HDCP handshake when AppleTV is first turned on.  Thus the destination device has to be on before you turn on AppleTV or it may not output anything it sees as being protected content.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »

It NEEDS to be an Apple TV 2 and NEEDS to be an iPad 2.  Previous generations don't do video over AirPlay, just audio.

- Whatever WiFi base station you have/get, be sure it's 802.11n.  The faster the better.

- Video over AirPlay was acceptable, but not great.  The frame rate took a hit (was a little choppy here and there).  But text and pictures looked fine.
I set up the same system but wired the ATV2 to the router instead of using ATV@ wireless. There was a bit of improvement to video streaming.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Bojan Bajsic

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:31:02 AM »

had a request for something like this here, with projector being roughly 100' away from the ipad and they wanted to stream full hd video with sound... yeah right.

ended up using ipad  as a wireless remote, while all content was stored on imac/macbook next to the switcher/projector connected via hdmi-dvi. no hassle, everyone was happy. takes some time though to transfer material to the stationary computer and set up the wireless network if you dont have it permanently installed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:31:02 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.