ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get my Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer to work?  (Read 40619 times)

Mark Monson

How do I get my Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer to work?
« on: December 26, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »

I just got this feedback suppressor with the intention of using it on the monitors, and possibly on the mains if it didn't degrade the sound.  I can't seem to make it work even after reading the manual 4 times.  When I push the learn button and increase the volume on the mixer until feedback starts, the unit does not pick it up and notch that frequency.  When I activate the autolearn feature the pa starts clicking then feeding back until my qsc amps start to clip and shut down.  The FBQ2496 says it has no single shot filters and I can't figure out how to set the number manually.  By omission the manual seems to say that the filters will be set automatically during the learn phase, but maybe this is my problem.  I can figure out how to set the number of PEQ filters, but that would mean manually ringing out the system which is what I do now.  Thanks in advance for your help.  This is a great forum

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your help!  The consensus of the forum was correct.  I finally got a hold of Behringer tech support and the guy knew what he was talking about.  There is a glaring omission in the manual.  I will fill in the gaps and hopefully save someone else the hassle I have been through.

The unit comes with the peq filters set to 20, so no other filters can be set.  The way to fix this is:
1)  push and hold peq button until p20 shows on the display
2) use the wheel to set the peq to 0   ( or some number less than 20 so there will be some filters available for single shot and automatic)
3) press learn button until S0 appears on the display
4) use the wheel to set the number of single shot filters -
5) press learn button again and run should appear on display
6) gradually increase volume until feedback occurs.  The LEDs on the 2496 need to light up and approach clipping and then the filter will automatically kick in

I am looking forward to see how this works at a show.

thanks again for everyones help

Mark
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:44:46 PM by Mark Monson »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: How do I get my Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer to work?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »

I just got this feedback suppressor with the intention of using it on the monitors, and possibly on the mains if it didn't degrade the sound.  I can't seem to make it work even after reading the manual 4 times.  When I push the learn button and increase the volume on the mixer until feedback starts, the unit does not pick it up and notch that frequency.  When I activate the autolearn feature the pa starts clicking then feeding back until my qsc amps start to clip and shut down.  The FBQ2496 says it has no single shot filters and I can't figure out how to set the number manually.  By omission the manual seems to say that the filters will be set automatically during the learn phase, but maybe this is my problem.  I can figure out how to set the number of PEQ filters, but that would mean manually ringing out the system which is what I do now.  Thanks in advance for your help.  This is a great forum

Mark....

Just doing a quick read of the 2496 manual to compare it to the older FBX1100's I've used.  I'll be back with more as soon as I've read up.

Edit:

OK.  After a quick read I'll say this:

Automatic "problem solving" continues to be a myth.  The best way to use devices such as this is to regard them as "automatic parametric EQ".  It will work best for you if you "ring out" your monitors manually and lock the filters down to avoid "program eating" common to such devices.  BUT.......

Ringing out the monitors is still best done with everything in place.  You can do a general setting with an empty stage and then tweak it as required.

The whole "learn" thing is similar to other auto-EQ programs and IMO is just not a workable design.

As to the filters not setting, I'd suspect something is bypassed or a gross aberration in the gain structure.  More likely the bypass........  If not, then take it back and trade it in for the FBwhatever1000.  A simpler and more workable model.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:46:02 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »

How do you have it hooked up in your system-ie what is the signal path? Is there a bypass mode?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »

Honestly I'd make it work on eBay and go and get a real eq to solve your feedback issues.

BUT...

If you HAVE to have it then I'd suggest answering the questions that Ivan posted and more than likely somebody will be able to help from there.

Mark Monson

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »

Mark....

Just doing a quick read of the 2496 manual to compare it to the older FBX1100's I've used.  I'll be back with more as soon as I've read up.

Edit:

OK.  After a quick read I'll say this:

Automatic "problem solving" continues to be a myth.  The best way to use devices such as this is to regard them as "automatic parametric EQ".  It will work best for you if you "ring out" your monitors manually and lock the filters down to avoid "program eating" common to such devices.  BUT.......

Ringing out the monitors is still best done with everything in place.  You can do a general setting with an empty stage and then tweak it as required.

The whole "learn" thing is similar to other auto-EQ programs and IMO is just not a workable design.

As to the filters not setting, I'd suspect something is bypassed or a gross aberration in the gain structure.  More likely the bypass........  If not, then take it back and trade it in for the FBwhatever1000.  A simpler and more workable model.

Thanks Dick.  I wish I would have known this before I bought it.  I asked a couple of people who said they have experience with them and they said they work as long as you don't let it eat up too many frequencies.  I still think I am doing something wrong as it is not eliminating any frequencies even with severe feedback.  I bought the top of the line hoping it would be the best.  thanks again

Mark Monson

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »

How do you have it hooked up in your system-ie what is the signal path? Is there a bypass mode?

I tried to make is as simple as possible, so I disconnected my 31 band eq, compressor/limiter, crossover (I am now running full range into Peavey QW4s) and run the outs from my soundcraft 32 channel board into the feedback destroyer and the outs from the feedback destroyer into my QSC plx 3002 amps (bridged).  There is a bypass mode.  The LED lights up when you push the button and I have tried making the feedback destroyer work with the bypass light on and off.  I have emailed Behringer but so far no response.  I'll appreciate any thoughts you have Ivan.  Thanks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »

Thanks Dick.  I wish I would have known this before I bought it.  I asked a couple of people who said they have experience with them and they said they work as long as you don't let it eat up too many frequencies.  I still think I am doing something wrong as it is not eliminating any frequencies even with severe feedback.  I bought the top of the line hoping it would be the best.  thanks again

Mark....

After a cursory reading of the manual in PDF it appears that there are more "bells and whistles" on this than on the plain old FBX1100's which I have occasional use for.  It also appears that the practical functions of the 1100 (now the 1000?) have been automated or eliminated on the 2496.

On the 1100 there are 12 filters/channel, each selectable between AU (automatice), SI (single-shot) and PA (parametric).   The way I use it is to do a manual ring-out in AU, setting 6-8 filters, leave two AU filters for "rovers" and turn off any remaining filters.  Once the filters are set per AU, I then manually switch each filter to PA, effectively locking it down to a frequency center yet allowing me to widen the filters without changing anything else if the a problem frequency starts to "drift".  It is a bit of work, but done in this manner the unit is quite serviceable, albeit a bit clumsy to navigate until you've done it a few times.

Hope this is helpful.

Edit:

The width of the filters initially set in AU mode is usually just a single 1/60 octave filter.  Sometimes it will be two of them, rarely more.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 08:25:11 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 01:18:53 AM »

On the DSP110P/DSP1124P the threshold for feedback detection is static (user selectable -3/6/9dB). If you don't drive them with enough level they will never detect feedback. You have to run full level signal from the mixer's monitor sends into the unit and set the volume with the amp gains. I couldn't tell you if your unit works that way because the manual doesn't say.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »

It would work well as a door stop, no manual to read, no training required.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rick Powell

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 01:26:12 AM »

Never had the 2496 but once obtained an earlier Behringer model.  The thing squealed like a pig and I never could get it to do anything useful.  Traded it in and added cash and got a Sabine 900, which actually worked as advertised, more or less. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 01:26:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.