ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Insert snake with multipin connector  (Read 8808 times)

NickStone

Re: Insert snake with multipin connector
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »

The audiopile stuff is good but when going with any multi care has to be taken depending on which type of connector you go with (caps ,empty pin blocks ect). Far as doing your own Multi I would advise against it.  I was all ready to do my own mult on a 40ch snake and couldn't get the balls to chop the end off my snake. Probably just as well.

If you shop around on the used market you should be able to find a Whirlwind W1 or W2 cheap. You might have to configure the ends to your liking however that's alot simpler then working on a multi. I just bought a W2 insert snake for less then 200.00. 

FWIW I have a 12ch EWI insert snake like new if you choose to not go with a multi. Good luck.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 10:20:53 PM »

The Audiopile stuff Lee Douglas suggests is the cheap & dirty solution.

That's me!  Cheap and dirty! ;D

I live in Houston where I do sound for a small band,

Had Sam not said this, I would have definitely steered in a different direction.  The budget for a small band dictates that conveniences be financially managed as well.  Frankly, with a single operator managing the system, I think that the Audiopile solution should be durable enough.  It's when local stage hands with no financial stake in the system start handling it that people get very careless very quickly.  Like watching a horn player trying to get off a Speakon connector with vice grips.  I wish I were kidding...  ???
This space for rent

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 10:34:47 PM »

Either way it should make my life a lot easier not having to detangle and stow all of my insert cables / lines to my drive rack every time that I set it all up...

Do you have a doghouse built into the console case?

If not, I don't really see the point of putting in a multi-pin disconnect.  If you have to plug the cables into the console every time you set up, you might as well leave them connected at the FX end, and just label them at the console end.  When you pack up, coil the cables and stow them in the back of the rack.  Bundling the insert or FX inputs and outputs in a logical fashion will help speed up the setup.  A multi-pin really only helps if your setup is the same every time.

GTD

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »

Thank you all agin for all of the help...

"get off a Speakon connector with vice grips" WOW, thats pretty bad, hope he didn't break it too badly..

Also, in response to Geoff, I have a newer venice (F model) and at the time that I got it there were no pre made cases around for them so when I had a flight case made up for it I made sure that it had a dog house built in. Having it has been really handy especially when a few months ago I had an outdoor theater show. The nature of the show was that I needed to set everything up relatively quickly and take it down every day, nothing really changed day to day so I could store the cables and mics which I needed in the dog house for quick and "easy" setup.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Troy Lourens

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 10:54:56 PM »

Re wiring your own multi pin.. Ive done it with amphenol connectors. I have whirlwind sub snakes that i needed to multi pin for quick connect and disconnect to our IEM rig. I bought the insertion tool and guide pin and went to work soldering (i decided to go with soldering as i couldnt justify spending $800 AUD on the crimping tool..) and heatshrinking. It really wasnt as difficult as some make out but it definitely took a chunk of time and i was glad to see the end of it esp as i was doing this in down time.

I think multi pin connections are super handy and worthwhile doing when its for a rig thats yours. Just keep some non multipin solutions handy for those times when yhou need to interface with gear thats not yours.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 10:54:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.