ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Insert snake with multipin connector  (Read 8807 times)

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
Insert snake with multipin connector
« on: December 24, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »

Hi all, quick introduction,
Long time reader first time poster,
I live in Houston where I do sound for a small band,

Anyway, I am looking to make / buy an insert snake to connect between my foh rack and my console,
I need 8 lines of insert trs on one end to ts insert ends on the other end,
In the same snake I would like 4 lines of balanced xlr 2 in each direction,
To top it all off I would like it to have it all route through a multipin connector for quick setup and take down...

Is there a pre made solution out there or is this something which I would have to make?

Also, if I do need to make it myself, does anyone have any tips on wiring multipins,
would I need to allocate two or three pins to each connection (could I just make a common ground pin for everything?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Insert snake with multipin connector
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 03:12:16 PM »

Anyway, I am looking to make / buy an insert snake to connect between my foh rack and my console,
To top it all off I would like it to have it all route through a multipin connector for quick setup and take down...

Is there a pre made solution out there or is this something which I would have to make?

One of these (ask them about modifying for XLRs and possibly for a larger fan out as needed):
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Patch_snakes/EDAC_Patch_Snakes/EDAC_Patch_Snakes.shtml

One of these:
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Electronics/PFQ-101/PFQ-101.shtml

And a combination of these in the rack to suit your needs:
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/MP_Adaptor_Cbls/Adaptor_Cables_2.shtml

You might also be able to modify an existing patch snake, but I think separartes peices may be better for wire management in the rack.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:16:07 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »

Figure out how many lines you need.  Then increase it by at least 50%.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »

Hi all, quick introduction,
Long time reader first time poster,
I live in Houston where I do sound for a small band,

Also, if I do need to make it myself, does anyone have any tips on wiring multipins,
would I need to allocate two or three pins to each connection (could I just make a common ground pin for everything?)

If you have the money, you can have Whirlwind build you that configuration with a MASS connectors (W1/W2) for the multi pin. The build quality will be as good as you can get.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »

...I am looking to make / buy an insert snake to connect between my foh rack and my console,
Redco Audio made one for me that I specified. You can also use their web configuration tool here if the choices fit what you need, or call them. I was very happy with both their customer service and build quality.

If you're going to make it yourself, (I had to make the other end of the multipin as it went into a breakout box for the backline and drum mics that I was making) my experience was that the only way for me to achieve the result I wanted was to use the appropriate crimping tool for the Whirlwind multipin connector... very expensive even purchased used. I haven't had any problems with the setup and it's been in use for almost a year now, but I think having either Redco or Whirlwind make what you want would be a good way to go - you won't regret it. I already commented on Redco, and everything I've ever bought from Whirlwind has been top quality.

Regarding connections, 3 pins per connection is what to do. Here's a Whirlwind W3 wiring diagram showing how each channel is pinned depending on whether the connector is output or input.

Hope that's useful.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »

Thank you all for the help, based on what you guys are saying I will probably check with whirlwind to see about getting one custom built though depending on price, I might just tough it out and build it myself which would also give me the ability to expand it in the future to fit my needs. Either way it should make my life a lot easier not having to detangle and stow all of my insert cables / lines to my drive rack every time that I set it all up...
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 02:18:46 AM »

Thank you all for the help, based on what you guys are saying I will probably check with whirlwind to see about getting one custom built though depending on price, I might just tough it out and build it myself which would also give me the ability to expand it in the future to fit my needs. Either way it should make my life a lot easier not having to detangle and stow all of my insert cables / lines to my drive rack every time that I set it all up...
Sam,

I, personally, would recommend simply going with TRS connectors on both ends of the snake.  When you upgrade to more professional gear with balanced connections, you'll thank yourself.  Also, interfacing with rented or in-house gear is made much easier by going that way.

If I find myself needing to use unbalanced inserts, then I go for this Hosa adapter to take care of patching in correctly.  You may have to apply some makeup gain (~6dB or so since you're losing one leg of the balanced line - and, thus, halving the Voltage), but any piece of kit today should be able to handle that task without issue.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 02:10:07 AM »

The Audiopile stuff Lee Douglas suggests is the cheap & dirty solution.

Mount the EDAC patch bay on a rear rack rail with the TRS jacks facing in. Get an EDAC to TRS patch snake. Connect the rack gear to the patch pay with the 1TRS-to-2TS insert cables you have now.

For the XLR lines, just replace the needed number of TRS connectors with XLRs of proper gender. Hook up to the patch bay with an XLR to TRS cable.

It'll cost ya a little over $300.00, plus the labor to replace four connectors.

To do it yourself properly, you'd have to invest at least that much in tools.

A more elegant solution will cost considerably more.

Reliable cables are always a good investment.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »

It'll cost ya a little over $300.00, plus the labor to replace four connectors.

To do it yourself properly, you'd have to invest at least that much in tools.
And then there's the testing and figuring out which pins you need to re-crimp.  Multipinning is an art form - snipping the wires to just the right length, taking off just the right amount of insulation, etc.  It takes time, a number of mistakes, and money to learn how to do it right.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »

And then there's the testing and figuring out which pins you need to re-crimp.  Multipinning is an art form - snipping the wires to just the right length, taking off just the right amount of insulation, etc.  It takes time, a number of mistakes, and money to learn how to do it right.

+100

it's a great skill to have, but not one worth learning unless you think you're going to be building/servicing a LOT of multipins...  [LOT = 30 or more]  i learned it, but on someone else's dime.  don't think i would have wanted to pay the bill for my own mistakes...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.