ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct versus Folded Horn Sub enclosures  (Read 48136 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Direct versus Folded Horn Sub enclosures
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »

If you look at the graphs in the Keele paper, the none of the boxes can be called subs, as they all have a falling response below 100Hz (where their efficiency varies little from one another).
You also have to remember when the paper was written and what the systems of the day were capable of.

VERY different than today.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

Thanks again to all of the knowledgeable people who unselfishly share their knowledge and experience.  I am looking at buying subs for my classic rock band PA.  "Back in the day" all of the high end subs were in folded horn or other type of enclosures "tuned" to amplify lower frequencies.  Now it seems that half of the high end subs are in direct radiator cabinets.  The direct radiator subs would certainly be easier to transport and store, but I would not want to sacrifice a significant amount of sound quality.  What are the pros and cons of sub enclosures?

I have ran across more than one occasion where a folded horn subwoofer is the optimum choice. Most of the high-end horn boxes are smaller companies (and for the most part overseas). When space doesn't matter.. but available power does - the horn is usually the best box. Not much in the direct radiator world can compare to 2 blocks of 6 labs. The trend in pro audio is to go lighter, go smaller, but require more power. Horns just don't do that.

Scott Smith

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »

When space doesn't matter.. but available power does - the horn is usually the best box...
+1. This is my case.  Most gigs I do, outlet power IS the issue for me... and horns give MUCH higher forward output (especially outdoors), compared to my DR boxes.  Efficiency is a high priority in my case, and they really perform when coupled. My large bass horns become more directional when paired, and I find it to be a big advantage to have much less bass spl behind them.
"Percussive Maintenance"... bang on it until it works!
"Mixing old school with new"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.