ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Recommendation for 5 piece band in small venues  (Read 41496 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: PA Recommendation for 5 piece band in small venues
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »

If you can't get the guitar player to turn down or use a different amp, no amount of PA will help. I've had to deal with this with 2 different guitarists - didn't matter if it was our pa or other's PA with full monitor mix.

What kind of amp does he have, and does he have it tilted back or at least up on a chair? Part of the challenge is that if your amp isnt pointed at your ears, you have to crank it substantially to hear it. It's why I have a stand for my smaller amps and tilt back legs on my bigger ones.

Absolutely.  Most guitar amps will blow away the entire band (even small ones) if you turn them up too loud.

Having said that, better mains will go a long way to getting the vocals heard even in the presence of a loud guitar..... The guitar will still be too loud; however, the vocals will be loud as well.

When I was using my amp as a monitor, I had a small amp stand that angled it toward my face.  The problem I have with that arrangement is that it takes up too much room on stage.

@ Samuel Rees,
I walked into Chuck Levin's Washington Music center in Maryland for the first time and got fantastic list-beating quotes from day one. I only meant to say that most pro dealers, the kind of places that only quote in private, frequently offer lower prices than list.
I understand.  My point was that you should be able to get similiar percentages dropped from any other brand from such a seller as well and therefore using the most frequent price retailed on the web for each speaker is likely representative of the relative price of the speaker from any source for the most part.

It isn't a fair comparison to say that a KW122 only costs $800.00 using a quote from someone selling below retail while quoting a RCF312a at full retail price.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »

It isn't a fair comparison to say that a KW122 only costs $800.00 using a quote from someone selling below retail while quoting a RCF312a at full retail price.

Agreed. I was thinking that some of the newer readers might not realize private dealers frequently offer below list - and then eliminate potential buys because the list price scares them off. Sure it doesn't change the speakers in relation to one another, but the difference between list and private can be the same as between affordable and unaffordable. I'd never have bought those KW122s for over $1000 - had I believed that "list" was my only option I might have gone for something cheaper when the KW122s were really the speakers I wanted.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »

Agreed. I was thinking that some of the newer readers might not realize private dealers frequently offer below list - and then eliminate potential buys because the list price scares them off. Sure it doesn't change the speakers in relation to one another, but the difference between list and private can be the same as between affordable and unaffordable. I'd never have bought those KW122s for over $1000 - had I believed that "list" was my only option I might have gone for something cheaper when the KW122s were really the speakers I wanted.

Excellent point.  The KW122 "list" price is $1399.  It retails commonly for $1100.00.  If you were able to get yours for $800.00, then that is a pretty good deal.

Does anyone know how some shops can offer lower prices like this when the on-line price is generally higher?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »

Its a matter of contract from what I understand. These dealers agree with the companies not to advertise their product below a certain price, so the price of the product doesn't erode by dealers getting competitive. Chuck Levin's in Washington D.C. doesn't even have any public pricing, so its a non issue.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 11:29:37 PM »

Its a matter of contract from what I understand. These dealers agree with the companies not to advertise their product below a certain price, so the price of the product doesn't erode by dealers getting competitive. Chuck Levin's in Washington D.C. doesn't even have any public pricing, so its a non issue.

MAP, or Minimum Advertised Price.

Now, here's the secret to a better deal.

Wait....

It's difficult....

ASK for it.  Yep, ask if whatever price is shown is "today's best good-buddy brother-in-law cash deal".  Or ask for free freight.  Or both.  You'd be surprised at how good a deal you might already be getting... or that there was still 10% left.  When you find a dealer or salesman that will work with you, make him your first call every time you get the hankering to buy something.  He may not be your only call, but believe me that your giving him first shot (tell him) will get you a better initial deal.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Aston

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »

Just wanted to follow up.  I decided to take the plunge on a pair of RCF ART 310As.  I opted for a pair of the smaller version for the following reason:

- substantial weight/size savings over 312A
- only planning to use for vocals at this point
- we're a relatively quiet band
- future plan to add a sub down the road if we decide to run other instruments through the PA
- two gives us some options with the odd shaped rooms we've played in

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase.  The sound reproduction in the mid/top end is outstanding.  I could gush on about it, but the most telling thing was a discussion I had about them with my drummer while playing a song over them we were trying to learn.  He said "You know, those things don't seem very loud until you try to have a conversation.  Then you realize they are cranking out sound."  While I don't have a ton of experience with quality PA speakers, my ears tend to tire quickly at high volumes, but these seem to simply pump out clear sound without any harshness (unless you crank them). 

One (minor) disappointment...  While I realize these are not designed to put out chest thumping bass (especially the 10s), while doing some testing, I noticed a good bit of noise when reproducing lower frequencies (120Hz and below).  I traced this back to wind noise from air leaks in the input jacks and sensitivity switch.  I can change/reduce the sound substantially by putting my fingers over the leaks.  Maybe I'm being too finicky, but I'd expect these openings to be sealed up.  Granted that's not the intended use of these speakers (sustained, low frequencies), so maybe I'm asking too much, but wouldn't it make sense to seal them up to avoid this extra noise?  Either that, or cutoff those low frequencies so they never make it to the driver....   Curious what others think.  Any other owners of the ART 3 series notice this?  Is it worth the effort to try to seal those up on my own, or am I just asking for trouble? 

Other than that, very happy with them so far in their intended use (vocals).  In rehearsal, they do a great job.  Can't wait to try them live. 

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. 

Dave Wightman

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

Just wanted to follow up.  I decided to take the plunge on a pair of RCF ART 310As.  I opted for a pair of the smaller version for the following reason:

- substantial weight/size savings over 312A
- only planning to use for vocals at this point
- we're a relatively quiet band
- future plan to add a sub down the road if we decide to run other instruments through the PA
- two gives us some options with the odd shaped rooms we've played in

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase.  The sound reproduction in the mid/top end is outstanding.  I could gush on about it, but the most telling thing was a discussion I had about them with my drummer while playing a song over them we were trying to learn.  He said "You know, those things don't seem very loud until you try to have a conversation.  Then you realize they are cranking out sound."  While I don't have a ton of experience with quality PA speakers, my ears tend to tire quickly at high volumes, but these seem to simply pump out clear sound without any harshness (unless you crank them). 

One (minor) disappointment...  While I realize these are not designed to put out chest thumping bass (especially the 10s), while doing some testing, I noticed a good bit of noise when reproducing lower frequencies (120Hz and below).  I traced this back to wind noise from air leaks in the input jacks and sensitivity switch.  I can change/reduce the sound substantially by putting my fingers over the leaks.  Maybe I'm being too finicky, but I'd expect these openings to be sealed up.  Granted that's not the intended use of these speakers (sustained, low frequencies), so maybe I'm asking too much, but wouldn't it make sense to seal them up to avoid this extra noise?  Either that, or cutoff those low frequencies so they never make it to the driver....   Curious what others think.  Any other owners of the ART 3 series notice this?  Is it worth the effort to try to seal those up on my own, or am I just asking for trouble? 

Other than that, very happy with them so far in their intended use (vocals).  In rehearsal, they do a great job.  Can't wait to try them live. 

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

While I haven't had a chance to use the 310A's, I do have a pair of 312A's that I love! They sound excellent and have had no problems with the build quality. I have also seen and heard the 310A's used a a fill speaker for an acoustic band in the back of a room and they sounded phenomenal and even when I was behind the speaker, I didn't notice any problems with the build of the speaker. As long as they sound fine, it shouldn't be anything to worry about, but I am not the most experienced, so hopefully someone with a little more experience can chime in. However, as previously mentioned, there is a 3 year warranty with the speakers, so all should be good. Good luck with the speakers!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »

Even the 12's are not going to be putting out much bottom.  It just isn't their thing.

If you want some bottom, you can add a sub or two in the future.  This will work pretty well with your 10's.

It is difficult to explain to someone through posts in a forum how sweet sounding a good speaker can be (not harsh, clear and un-distorted, full sounding, etc).  It is best to hear them yourself.... preferably in side by side tests.

I hope they work out for you.  Let us know how the first gig goes :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.