ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much AC will this draw?  (Read 2740 times)

Alex Sudbrink

How much AC will this draw?
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »

Which amp/speaker configuration will draw less current from a 20A/120V outlet:  a 4-ohm load on one channel, or and 8-ohm load on both channels. 

I am wondering this because for monitors I have 4 JRX112's and 2 XTI2000's.  I had been running 1 monitor per amp channel, but the guitar player in the band I run sound for recently made the switch to IEMs for which I am VERY grateful (lower stage volume  ;) )  So I had taken his wedge and daisy chained it with one of the other ones for other band members to hear better, and left open the amp channel it was on.  Should I just leave it this way, or should I parallel the amp so the same signal will go to both outputs and run a wedge off of each channel? I have been in a few sketchy situations lately as far as available power to plug into so I am trying to reduce my AC needs all together.  I had been running a PLX1802 bridged for my MRX515 tops (900W to each) but I recently picked up a GX7 to run in stereo (725W each)  which also reduces my draw and allows me to start panning things around.

On a related note, I have been looking into distros but I know very little about how to make one.  Would the one that Peavey makes be worth a look, or is it more economical to make my own?

Jordan Wolf

Re: How much AC will this draw?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:31:15 PM »

I'm not going to answer your main question, but I will go right to the bottom of your post:

...I have been looking into distros but I know very little about how to make one.  Would the one that Peavey makes be worth a look, or is it more economical to make my own?
This statement scares me.  If you don't know about it, don't bother trying to make one.  For the most part, by the time you get purchase the parts and assemble the whole thing, you'll spend as much as you would buying an already-approved (you know they need approval, right?) unit that has the bells and whistles you need.

There have been numerous posts on power distribution, even on this newer forum.  Search around and you'll get plenty of info on manufacturers as well as acceptable (and unacceptable) practices.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »

Which amp/speaker configuration will draw less current from a 20A/120V outlet:  a 4-ohm load on one channel, or and 8-ohm load on both channels.

Should be so close to the same as makes no practical difference. If  you are running at max amp capability, less power is is usually available when 4 ohm vs 8 ohms. this would translate to a slightly less current draw on the AC line.

I am wondering this because for monitors I have 4 JRX112's and 2 XTI2000's.  I had been running 1 monitor per amp channel, but the guitar player in the band I run sound for recently made the switch to IEMs for which I am VERY grateful (lower stage volume  ;) )  So I had taken his wedge and daisy chained it with one of the other ones for other band members to hear better, and left open the amp channel it was on.  Should I just leave it this way, or should I parallel the amp so the same signal will go to both outputs and run a wedge off of each channel? I have been in a few sketchy situations lately as far as available power to plug into so I am trying to reduce my AC needs all together.  I had been running a PLX1802 bridged for my MRX515 tops (900W to each) but I recently picked up a GX7 to run in stereo (725W each)  which also reduces my draw and allows me to start panning things around.

If with any combination of the above listed speaker and amps you are blowing a breaker or experiencing severe voltage drops, your problems go deeper then just speaker/amp configuration.

On a related note, I have been looking into distros but I know very little about how to make one.  Would the one that Peavey makes be worth a look, or is it more economical to make my own?

Power distros are needed when you are running banks of incadesent lighting or banks of amplifiers for a large concert of if you need to run a couple hundred feet from the nearest power source . Then you run into the problem of acquiring and dealing with 6/4, 4/4/ or larger cable at several dollers per foot.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:27:15 PM »

The XTI 2000 is a safer match for your 515's. They are not very rugged especially when powered above their RMS rating. Save your GX7 for when you add subs to your system. The only time I use my Peavey Distro is when there is a NEMA 14-50 outlet on stage or I need to tie into the main panel for larger shows(only to be done by a qualified person). One or two 20amp circuits is plenty for most applications.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »

Should I just leave it this way, or should I parallel the amp so the same signal will go to both outputs and run a wedge off of each channel?

Wouldn't it be better to 'bridge' the amp and power both wedges with that? Both speakers would get the same signal and there would be more power available to each. The Xti2000 provides 475w per channel at 8 ohms but if bridged and driving both speakers it would put out 2000w (at 4 ohms) split between the two speakers. But this is only potential, back to the original question: Isn't the power draw dependent on how hard it was driven? Isn't the answer it doesn't matter how it was hooked up, it depends on how hard it's pushed?
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.