ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RealVNC Viewer for iPad Version 2: Upgrade and Problem  (Read 3678 times)

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
RealVNC Viewer for iPad Version 2: Upgrade and Problem
« on: December 05, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »

We use RealVNC Viewer on an iPad to connect to a Windows XP computer to mix wirelessly.

On Sunday I upgraded the IOS on the iPad to 5.0.1 and also updated the RealVNC Viewer from 1.4.1 to 2.0

Click-dragging (essential for us to use for moving faders) was almost unusable. I fell back to version 1.4.1 of the RealVNC Viewer and click-dragging was completely consistent. I've sent a support request to RealVNC, but in the meantime, if you're thinking of upgrading your VNC viewer, I'd wait just a bit.

At the very least, before you upgrade make sure you have a backup of all the ipa files for your iPad apps in a location that isn't synced by iTunes. Those files were the lifesaver for me.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: RealVNC Viewer for iPad Version 2: Upgrade and Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

Bob,

This is interesting. I use a Thinkpad, not an iPad, but have this issue at times also. I thought it was a bandwidth issue, so I migrated to 5Ghz, same result.

The Thinkpad transmists fine - the faders always move on command, but realtime remote screen updates seriously lag behind, but eventually catch up. Looking at the packet statistics I see many remote recieve errors.

My next step is to turn off the real time metering on Studiomanager - less data to xmit. I "think" the VNC SW transmits whenever the local screen changes, with the meters on, this may be too much data.

I never see these symptoms when testing, only during a show.

If anyone has other ideas or a solution Id like to hear it, hope this isnt seen as a hi-jack...

Mike

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »

Bob,

This is interesting. I use a Thinkpad, not an iPad, but have this issue at times also. I thought it was a bandwidth issue, so I migrated to 5Ghz, same result.

The Thinkpad transmists fine - the faders always move on command, but realtime remote screen updates seriously lag behind, but eventually catch up. Looking at the packet statistics I see many remote recieve errors.

My next step is to turn off the real time metering on Studiomanager - less data to xmit. I "think" the VNC SW transmits whenever the local screen changes, with the meters on, this may be too much data.

I never see these symptoms when testing, only during a show.

If anyone has other ideas or a solution Id like to hear it, hope this isnt seen as a hi-jack...

Mike
Hi Mike,
No worries on hijacking - anything that helps get a better result is welcome. I had posted a while back about possible co-channel interference with wireless access but found the problem to be processor overload in my router from way too many 2.4 GHz requests (the venue had 14 2.4 GHZ access points all at the same time.) My solution was to shut off the 2.4 GHz radio in the router, and use a Ubiquiti Bullet Access Point and a Qualcom antenna (thanks Kirby!) and since then, things have been really rock solid.

My setup is:
iPad running RealVNC 1.4.1 connecting to the Ubiquiti Bullet 5GHz AP, connected to a Linksys 4200 router via ethernet. The PC running AirFader 1.2.4096 and the Yamaha LS9 are both connected to the router via Ethernet.

I have the 5GHz radio still on on the router but don't use it. I leave it on for redundancy. I find that AirFader requires less screen real estate than Studio Manager, so if you can get what you need from it, you might want to give it a try. Also, the qualcom antenna is really great - rated for more distance than we need. We tested it at the Cumberland Fair this year, and were still connected from the other side ot the pulling barn with the band set up on the main stage - quite impressive.

Agreed that for wireless mixing, anything one can do to reduce data transmission is a good idea - if you can live with the result!

Best regards,
Bob

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 01:23:34 AM »

Turing off the 2.4Ghz radio seemed to fix my issue, at least tonight.

Mike

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »

Turing off the 2.4Ghz radio seemed to fix my issue, at least tonight.

Mike
Hi Mike, that's what worked for me. I had posted on a thread titled "co-channel interference" (I think) when I had trouble at a venue. I thought that I might have co-channel interference (when someone is using other than channels 1, 6, and 11 together in one location, the other channels like 5 & 7 can create interference) The problem ended up being too much 2.4GHz traffic from 12  - 14 access points all in the 2.4 range causing overload for the router so it couldn't sustain a 5GHz connection. In this case, all access points were on channels 1, 6 or 11.

On the initial problem I posted about on this thread, the person from Real VNC got back to me and told me that the double-click timer is set at 120 milliseconds exactly in the 2.0 release. He also said that this will definitely be fixed in the next release. That's good to hear as I could almost never click it exactly. The 1.4.1 release works effortlessly so hopefully, so will the next release after 2.0

Best regards,
Bob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.