ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: First PA system, opinions/suggestions.  (Read 10007 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: First PA system, opinions/suggestions.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »

You'd want to check with the specs for different brands to see what subs pass through and which pass through with a Hi-pass, and which have that hi-pass adjustable or defeatable.

I'm fairly certain all non-subs pass through a full-range signal, regardless of hi-pass settings on that speaker, but I could be wrong.

Mario Maric

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »

You'd want to check with the specs for different brands to see what subs pass through and which pass through with a Hi-pass, and which have that hi-pass adjustable or defeatable.

I'm fairly certain all non-subs pass through a full-range signal, regardless of hi-pass settings on that speaker, but I could be wrong.
Yeah that's the thing, Im not sure if the setting the speaker has just applies to that speaker and the line that is coming out of it is still the full range signal.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »

Yeah that's the thing, Im not sure if the setting the speaker has just applies to that speaker and the line that is coming out of it is still the full range signal.
Whether or not a "pass-through" signal is "processed" depends on both manufacturer and model (and often functions are switchable in/out).

The trick to getting electricity to a powered speaker is to make up an input loom for each speaker... the siamese cables mentioned up-thread are a convenient, but you can build your own by taping the XLR input line to an extension cord.

Don't get caught up in the "how could I do....", just walk yourself through a simulated setup.  Believe me, it's easier when you actually move some muscle.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »

[quote author=Tim McCulloch <SNIP>The trick to getting electricity to a powered speaker is to make up an input loom for each speaker... the siamese cables mentioned up-thread are a convenient, but you can build your own by taping the XLR input line to an extension cord.<SNIP>

Have fun, good luck.
Tim Mc
[/quote]

Pairing two cables to supply AC and signal to each powered speaker seems simple enough.

I'm having trouble visualizing what happens at the other end of the umbilical - where the signal and AC are supplied. I might attach an AC outlet strip to the box in which the snake and extension cords are stored, and go from there.

What do you pros do at the supply end of the umbilical that I can learn from? How do you handle AC and signal cables where the connections are made?
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »

Quote from: Tim McCulloch
The trick to getting electricity to a powered speaker is to make up an input loom for each speaker... the siamese cables mentioned up-thread are a convenient, but you can build your own by taping the XLR input line to an extension cord.<SNIP>

Have fun, good luck.
Tim Mc

Pairing two cables to supply AC and signal to each powered speaker seems simple enough.

I'm having trouble visualizing what happens at the other end of the umbilical - where the signal and AC are supplied. I might attach an AC outlet strip to the box in which the snake and extension cords are stored, and go from there.

What do you pros do at the supply end of the umbilical that I can learn from? How do you handle AC and signal cables where the connections are made?

Put the AC distro for the powered speakers wherever the XLR drive for the speakers is.  A common system I have used is a Powercon panels with 3 30A circuits on it with 4 to 6 powercons per circuit. It can be a 4RU PD box with 3Ø 30A in and all Powercon outs you need. Leave 6' of the paired cable free to patch to the XLR out and the PD at the same time.

Mac
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:01:24 AM by Mac Kerr »

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 01:15:47 AM »

Thanks!
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 11:20:43 PM »

I have my powered speakers set up with a 25'IEC and a 30'XLR. That lets me have the power strip be a few feet away from the snake head.
Often enough I send the cable upstage where there is a power outlet for the backline and then connect another XLR to run behind the stage for the far speaker. The snake head is often upstage on one side so the near speaker connects there easy enough.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mario Maric

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »

So we finally made the core purchases for my band :) and here's what it looks like (the mixer is up top hehe)

Just another question for power, how should I divide the power for amps and rack power? Some people I've talked to around here have told me to go with the amps straight to the wall on separate circuits (one gx7 in one wall outlet, another in a further distance outlet). I'm trying to keep in mind the bass and guitar amps that'll be plugged in close by as well.

Also is it a good investment to get a Compressor/Limiter? Any other suggestions are welcome :)

Also, Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:06:11 PM by Mario Maric »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.