ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??  (Read 36464 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »

i'v never seen anyone use # for pounds. # is used for numbers only. in the electrical construction field and in the automotive field which as a hot rodder i'm still involved. lbs or pounds is used for wight. on my last custon crank i had made the form i filled out was 54 "pounds" not 54#. i weigh 325 "pounds" and that what the doc wrote on my last med exam for my class a commercial driver license med certificate.
Thanks for clearing that up...  :o

I guess you never saw me use # for pounds. (There I did it again.) 8) Apparently it came from an early type-setting/printing contraction of lb into a single print character where they added a cross hatch to the l so it wouldn't be confused with numeral 1. Eventually they simplified it to #. 

I recall having racing engine crankshafts balanced, not weighed. Maybe they weigh it for shipping cost purposes. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »

I guess you never saw me use # for pounds. (There I did it again.) 8) Apparently it came from an early type-setting/printing contraction of lb into a single print character where they added a cross hatch to the l so it wouldn't be confused with numeral 1. Eventually they simplified it to #.

That's that one explained.  Any idea why # is used for number (or No.) ?

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:36:49 PM by Steve M Smith »

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »

That's that one explained.  Any idea why # is used for number *or No.) ?

Steve.
No.. according to wiki it's called number sign in Canada, Pound sign in US, and Hash sign in UK.

Even the # button on telephone is called different things in different countries. More evidence of peoples divided by a common language.

JR

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »

I recall having racing engine crankshafts balanced, not weighed. Maybe they weigh it for shipping cost purposes. 

JR
when you have a custom crank made like the 2 Brayant Racing made for me they wanted to know how much did i want them to weigh. it has to do with rotating mass. the same as a 30 pound flywheel vs a 20 pound flywheel. the nascar guys like a heavier crank because they are not trying to come off the line fast and spin up fast like a drag racer. the nascar guys also use heavier rods to keep the momenton going and that also is said to save a fuel stops. i told them to grind the forged blank as light as they could. both cranks went inti my 392 cubic inch Windsor strokers. 3.9" stroke 4" bore. Oliver rods have several 6.2" rod weight choices. the super speedway rod is the heaviest and the standard light is lighter. i bought the standard light rods. there were rods that were lighter but as you go lighter they also are not as strong. i chose the standard light for strength. i use a Mcleod aluminum flywheel because i dont want all the inertia for roadracing. 

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »

Steve.
when i was in school we were taught # stands for numbers. LBS is short for pounds. last night at the grocery store i was looking at meat(the kind that comes from chickens and cows) and all the packages had LBS after the weight #. also "no." also stands for number. i have never seen or heard of # standing for pounds until this thread. maybe its part of that fuzzy math garbage thats ben taught in schools for a while. i had problems on my electrical crews with young guys and the fuzzy math crap. i had to fire a guy because he kept isisting that #8 wire would work just fine even though the blue prints called for #6 wire. i tried to explain to him about circut breaker sizes and he would just argue that its what you decide to make it. i'm not joking , i had to deal with this fuzzy math stuff. that explains why companies want foreign workers to do tech jobs. its really sad when a BS eduication says it o.k. to teach kids that 2+2 can also = 5. the kids are the ones getting F'd !

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »

when i was in school we were taught # stands for numbers. LBS is short for pounds.

Always wondered why the abbreviation for pound is 'lb' and the abbreviation for ounce is 'oz.'

While we're at it, why is the second hand third?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »

Always wondered why the abbreviation for pound is 'lb' and the abbreviation for ounce is 'oz.'

While we're at it, why is the second hand third?

At this point I feel inclined to introduce the unit "slug" into the conversation.

Of course to give equal credence to the metric system I can tell you about the days of my youth wandering the world and having battles with my friends. I did well since I had a nanochou which is 1000 times stronger than a picachou.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »

when you have a custom crank made like the 2 Brayant Racing made for me they wanted to know how much did i want them to weigh. it has to do with rotating mass. the same as a 30 pound flywheel vs a 20 pound flywheel. the nascar guys like a heavier crank because they are not trying to come off the line fast and spin up fast like a drag racer. the nascar guys also use heavier rods to keep the momenton going and that also is said to save a fuel stops.
I'm going to need to think about this. You don't want more momentum in connecting rods because they are alternately moving up then down then up then down. So more mass is more that needs to get accelerated and decelerated every cycle. I suspect they need heavier rods, because they are making big horse power and they don't want the rods failing half way through a 500 mile race. Increasing the weight of the crankshaft counter weights may help smooth out the vibration caused by heavier connecting rods.

If they actually wanted to increase momentum (kinetic energy)  they could get more bang for the for the same dead weight by adding extra mass to the flywheel further away from the center to get the benefit of the moment arm. 

I suspect the simple answer is best, namely heavier rods to handle more power need a heavier crank to balance out.

OK I stand corrected, back in my misspent youth, just getting a stock crankshaft balanced was a high tech splurge we had to go all the way to Patterson NJ for. An extra expense I never bothered with. 

i told them to grind the forged blank as light as they could. both cranks went inti my 392 cubic inch Windsor strokers. 3.9" stroke 4" bore. Oliver rods have several 6.2" rod weight choices. the super speedway rod is the heaviest and the standard light is lighter. i bought the standard light rods. there were rods that were lighter but as you go lighter they also are not as strong. i chose the standard light for strength. i use a Mcleod aluminum flywheel because i dont want all the inertia for roadracing.

It's been several years since I last threw a connecting rod, but I once had a dragstrip refuse to let me race without a scatter-shield because they didn't believe me when I told them I was stock.  ;D ;D (I wasn't). Here is a picture of me under the old hanging tree after swapping out one of my broken motors. About 50 years ago give or take. I probably didn't even have my license yet.  8)

JR

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »

Steve.

It is really the octothorpe (a fun word to use in casual conversation).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/octothorpe
 ;D :o 8)
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »

I'm going to need to think about this. You don't want more momentum in connecting rods because they are alternately moving up then down then up then down. So more mass is more that needs to get accelerated and decelerated every cycle. I suspect they need heavier rods, because they are making big horse power and they don't want the rods failing half way through a 500 mile race. Increasing the weight of the crankshaft counter weights may help smooth out the vibration caused by heavier connecting rods.

If they actually wanted to increase momentum (kinetic energy)  they could get more bang for the for the same dead weight by adding extra mass to the flywheel further away from the center to get the benefit of the moment arm. 

I suspect the simple answer is best, namely heavier rods to handle more power need a heavier crank to balance out.

OK I stand corrected, back in my misspent youth, just getting a stock crankshaft balanced was a high tech splurge we had to go all the way to Patterson NJ for. An extra expense I never bothered with. 
It's been several years since I last threw a connecting rod, but I once had a dragstrip refuse to let me race without a scatter-shield because they didn't believe me when I told them I was stock.  ;D ;D (I wasn't). Here is a picture of me under the old hanging tree after swapping out one of my broken motors. About 50 years ago give or take. I probably didn't even have my license yet.  8)

JR
i have ben a roadracer since 1974. over the years i learned from Jack Roush when i wrenched on charlie Kemps cobra II imsa roadracer , Jim Grubbs a race car engine builder , www.maecomotorsport.com , Oliver rods , etc. one thing i learned about was moving mass. top fuel draengines use aluminum connecting rods because they are super light and that helps the engine spin up real fast. that also causes the engine to spin dowon faster. every moving part in the engine produces momentum. the standard light rods i have can easily handle 1500 hp. a nascar engine makes less than 700. in road racing your are speeding up and slowing down. i hit 155 mph on the front straight a willowsprings roadrace track. atg the halfway mark i start braking and downshifting so i can make it through turn 1 at about 80 mph. then i accelerate coming out of turn 3....nascar racing is quite different. once you get up to speed you normally dont downshift unless your on a short track and the engines are different for short track and tracks like talladega. the heavier rotating mass comes into play on those long tracks. i did a little racing at JIS back in the day and got board going around in circles like Billy Preston sings about. one of the 392W i have made 620 HP on the dyno. i could have used cheaper and weaker Eagle brand connecting rods but i decided to go overkill on the bottom end. as for pistons you definitly want them as light as possible. less stress on the bearings when they are yanked back down in the cylinder.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.