ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??  (Read 36472 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »

My truck checks the tires electronically within 5psi. Good enough for me. Do yourself a favor though and stay away from SLU-trac tires. They tend to keep going down on you.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 05:17:02 PM »

Bump .... just topped off my tires for another winter.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 08:00:45 PM »

We lost both passenger side duals on a 24'.  We weren't over weight for either the truck or tires, but it was 112° out.

My observation has been that we lose the inside dual most of the time because it's the most difficult to check or inflate... damn near impossible to get a tire chuck on the stem.

My tire shop said that many make the mistake of thinking that the outer tires in a set of duals are the more important ones and if they can save a few $$ by moving the better 2 used tires to the inside and putting new ones on the outers.

They recommend that you make sure the inner ones are in the best shape before the outers and ideally just replace all 4 simultaneously. -However since they wear un-evenly, just leave the outers where they are and replace the inners new

(I of course learned this the hard way sitting beside I-15 waiting for a tire service in the middle of the desert at 125deg!)

You can also get longer stems installed that reach through the outer rim for easier access to check and fill.

Also as far as pressure is concerned, I'm sure a properly inflated and non-leaking set of tires will read a large difference between summer and winter temperatures -it may not be leaky tires when they checked out fine at 80deg, and now it's sitting at 5deg!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 09:12:08 PM »

Also as far as pressure is concerned, I'm sure a properly inflated and non-leaking set of tires will read a large difference between summer and winter temperatures -it may not be leaky tires when they checked out fine at 80deg, and now it's sitting at 5deg!

pV=nRT or something like that. It's been a while but I recall studying the ideal gas laws back in school.

It was 70' this afternoon when i re-filled them to high nominal pressure.  I have been doing this for the last several years and I seem to lose about 5 psi per year.

I miss the good old days when I could just look at the tires and tell if they needed air. The low profile tires always look a little flat.

JR

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »

pV=nRT or something like that. It's been a while but I recall studying the ideal gas laws back in school.

It was 70' this afternoon when i re-filled them to high nominal pressure.  I have been doing this for the last several years and I seem to lose about 5 psi per year.

I miss the good old days when I could just look at the tires and tell if they needed air. The low profile tires always look a little flat.

JR
That is the same equation I remember.  The simple version is PV/T=PV/T
T in both equations is in Deg Kelvin.  As I recall the %difference between summer/winter temps and cold/driven temp was so low when using deg K that temp was almost insignificant in PSI changes.  The real problems are leaks and under-inflation that lead to excessive flexing and friction.  This generates heat high enough to damage the tire, but not enough to cause the pressure to rise to explosive levels.  The tire material fails at a lower pressure.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 02:14:47 AM »

My tire shop said that many make the mistake of thinking that the outer tires in a set of duals are the more important ones and if they can save a few $$ by moving the better 2 used tires to the inside and putting new ones on the outers.

They recommend that you make sure the inner ones are in the best shape before the outers and ideally just replace all 4 simultaneously. -However since they wear un-evenly, just leave the outers where they are and replace the inners new

(I of course learned this the hard way sitting beside I-15 waiting for a tire service in the middle of the desert at 125deg!)

You can also get longer stems installed that reach through the outer rim for easier access to check and fill.

about  2 months ago i put the 3rd set of tires on my f350 dually. i always rotate. all the tires wear out evenly. i'v never heard of inside dually tires wearing out faster unless the floater housing is bent. i would never mix new and used tires on the rear of a duslly on the same side. the new tire is going to be taller and will have to compress before the load is also carried by the older shorter tire. the new tire will have more weight on it and thats not good when carrying maximum gvwr. its a really cheap and cheesy thing to do. also the shorter diameter old tire is going to scrub along the pavement and wear out quicker. i would never do that if i were a tire salesman. if 2 rear dually tires were still good i would put them on one side and new ones on the other providing they were the same brand and model tire and it was not a posi rear end. the tires need to be the same size on an axle with a posi otherwise one side will turn faster and wear the posi clutches out. heres a foto of my redneck hauler.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 05:04:19 AM »

10# to mine last week.

As an Englishman, I'm aware that Americans use the # symbol to show numbers where we would use No. (No. 1 instead of #1) but what does it mean when placed after a number as a few of you have done here?

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:35 AM »

As an Englishman, I'm aware that Americans use the # symbol to show numbers where we would use No. (No. 1 instead of #1) but what does it mean when placed after a number as a few of you have done here?

Steve.
i havent a bloody clue mate ! i use this # in front of a number for numbers. i use lbs after a number for pounds as we did in construction and automotiva mechanics. i'v ben a bloody hooligan(Peter Chriss) type hot rodder since 1973. yeah mate i have had a lot of bloody knuckles. Molly Hatchet had a Bloody Reunion.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:49 AM »

Steve.

Pounds, as a measure of weight or pressure.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »

Yup, here #=pounds  "and" number "and" sharp (while musical sharp may be tilted some. In UK you have currency pounds and probably weigh things in kilograms. 

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.