ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??  (Read 36458 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:04:01 AM »

The heck with it, I just bought a new vehicle.

Okay, the old Honda Odyssey finally ran true to form and developed transmission problems, but it had 154k on it, so I had real reservations about dumping large amounts of money into repairing it(needed a timing belt too, and would have needed new struts and rear brakes next year).

I decided to go back to a pickup truck.  Looking into caps and/or Line-X right now.

Tire pressure is good though.  ;)

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

Years ago I got a Bedrug http://www.bedrug.com/ for my F250. It is a lot easier on the equipment and keeps stuff from sliding around. It is also easier on the body when climbing around back there.

It is also comfortable enough that I still sleep on it a number of times a year when I don't feel like hauling my travel trailer.

If I am not hauling gravel or sand or the like on a regular basis, I would never have Line X instead. If the rug gets dirty it hoses off fine.
Jay Barracato

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:26 AM »

Years ago I got a Bedrug http://www.bedrug.com/ for my F250. It is a lot easier on the equipment and keeps stuff from sliding around. It is also easier on the body when climbing around back there.

Jay,

Thanks for the link-I was also looking into some type of liner pad on the bottom of the truck bed, especially if I get a cap.  While I love the Line-X product, it is tough to slide things on it, doubly so if it is a speaker cabinet with the same type of finish. 

A plastic or vinyl liner seems to make more sense, but this Bedrug product should do the same job.  I suspect it originally came only in green, and with stripes and numbers painted on it. ;>)

Best regards,

John

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »

My observation has been that we lose the inside dual most of the time because it's the most difficult to check or inflate... damn near impossible to get a tire chuck on the stem.

Don't know if this is the case for you, but driving on narrow roads with a pronounced crown can cause rapid wear of inner duals because there is more pressure on the inside than on the outside. Or so I've heard; I've never driven a rig with duals.

I've heard this is a common problem on farm trucks in the midwest.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »

Don't know if this is the case for you, but driving on narrow roads with a pronounced crown can cause rapid wear of inner duals because there is more pressure on the inside than on the outside. Or so I've heard; I've never driven a rig with duals.

I've heard this is a common problem on farm trucks in the midwest.
had this dually since 2006 and never had a tire wear unevenly. driven on some uneven roads. got about 85,000 miles out of the first setta bfg tires. got about 37,000 on the 2nd set of the same kinda bfg tires and all are wearing evenly. older ford pickups from the 60's,70's,80's have short front I-beams and wear out front tires fast due to side to side scrub. always check your trailer tires b 4 each trip. some ST type tires are thin and tend to seep air like a road race tire.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »

Bump... it's that time of the year... Just topped mine off... one was down to 25# but with the low profile tires it was almost impossible to see any difference.

Proper tire inflation is a good thing.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »

Yep, put 8# in each of my tires the other day.  Tis the season.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

Bump... it's that time of the year... Just topped mine off... one was down to 25# but with the low profile tires it was almost impossible to see any difference.

Proper tire inflation is a good thing.

JR

It's easy to remember to check tire pressure where I live, because in November, it's time to put the snow tires on.  My snow tires have their own rims, but it's also a good time to get them re-balanced and the alignment checked.  I don't even bother to change them myself any more (unless I can't get to the garage for some reason).  It costs the same to get four wheels balanced, as it does to swap the summers for winters (assuming they're already on rims).

So I've been all set for over a month now, but we haven't seen any snow.  :)

GTD

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »

It hasn't snowed here yet either...

I didn't own snow tires even when I lived up in New England, but I probably should have... my current ride is not snow friendly, not even rain friendly...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »

Check the spare, too. You don't want to discover that it's flat, too.

If you've got a pickup that has the underbed spare, position it so the stem is pointing down. That way you can check & fill without having to crank it down.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »

Check the spare, too. You don't want to discover that it's flat, too.

If you've got a pickup that has the underbed spare, position it so the stem is pointing down. That way you can check & fill without having to crank it down.
While you're at it, grease the frickin chain.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.